Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

The third band for last in line and Inglorious were called Wild Guys and you didn't miss much. 2 Les Paul's and a Stingray left an unarticulated sound they were all pimping sludgy stuff. Young kids obviously with talent, but for my mind a bit sulky teenager with Beenie hats, dime a dozen band.

BTW not hating on LP's LIL had one paired with a Stingray and a keyboard to cover all sonic gaps better, and Inglorious paired their LP with a non reverse gold gibson firebird which was lovely. Bassist had a Warwick stack and bass, but for me was not quite pushed through enough, he plays more in the higher end of the spectrum, but a real good show man and a nice little solo

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1480776386' post='3187058']

I love Therapy? and saw them a load of times when I was at Uni. The last time was Leicester students union and they were stunning. I think they went a bit off the rails when they signed the new deal and headed down the more commercial route but a few hundred people chanting James Joyce is ********* my sister at the top of their voices was a hell of a thing to behold. The first two EPs that they merged to become Caucasian psychosis is still on my regular play list over 25 years later.
[/quote]

Potato Junkie was on the set list on Thursday night too - a few hundred people singing about what James Joyce was doing to their sister in the Union Chapel was a highlight of the set. It was recorded so fingers crossed for a release, although I'm not sure it'll sound as good on tape as it did in the room

I saw Los Pacaminos last Thursday at The Borderline in London. I've seen them several times, this was possibly the best they have been. Always loads of fun and, actually, Paul Young is looking fit and sounding good! Jamie Moses is a true star, though - effortlessly tasteful guitar playing all night. Support was a kind of country act called Sarah Vista - great image, great sound but quickly ran out of strong material. My first time at The Borderline - I'd definitely go again, nice atmosphere, good sound. Stood on the raised bit at the back by the sound man and could see all night as well. Easy transport links from SE Essex, nice Mexican food at Chipotle just over the road - good night all round.

Saw Talon at Milton Keynes Stables. I'd gone off The Eagles when you couldn't get away from Hotel California but after this I realised how many great songs they'd done long the way. No into the tribute thin either but Talon were right on the button and you won't see the real thing again. Los Pacaminos in Jan next - always party time.

Saw Magnum in Edinburgh recently. Not seen them live for over 20 years but got a feebie and despite Keyboardist Mark Stanway walked out 2 days prior it was pretty good. Bobs singing wasn't so great but he's knocking 70 so that's expected i suppose. Thunders Harry on drums too.....strange but hey.

[quote name='Leen2112' timestamp='1481720167' post='3194510']
Saw Magnum in Edinburgh recently. Not seen them live for over 20 years but got a feebie and despite Keyboardist Mark Stanway walked out 2 days prior it was pretty good. Bobs singing wasn't so great but he's knocking 70 so that's expected i suppose. Thunders Harry on drums too.....strange but hey.
[/quote]
Was thinking of going to that actually.

Bad Sign, Zoax, and Hacktivist last night. Great bassists in all bands but I do have to give a special mention to Bad Sign - 3 piece with a singing bassist up front and he is awesome AND you could actually tell what notes he was playing. I can't give the soundmen any credit for that 'cos the other guys didn't cut through at all.

Saw The Dylan Project at the Welsh Club in Cardiff last night.
They were very good but I wasn't really in the mood for a gig so didn't really get much out of it. Peggy's bass playing was superb all night. Typical Welsh Club crowd that talked all the way through the gig too, very annoying.

Went to see Frank Turner last night at Portsmouth Guildhall. What an amazing gig!!! I wasn't expecting it to have so much energy, but all of the band and Frank put on an excellent show. The support bands were good as well. The first band had an odd Bass player who was playing a right handed Bass, left handed. It was still strung right handed but he was playing it upside down left handed so the low E was nearest the floor..... Never seen that before?

Jas

• 1 month later...

I was in London during the week and got to see a couple of gigs.
Some psych electronic stuff from Teeth of the Sea and Chrome.
Then the next night some heavy guitar based stuff from FckJar, Earthmass and Morkobot.

Morkobot are Italian and consist of 2 bass players and a drummer, no vocals.
Both bassists had Kemper profiling amps and 8x10s.

They were bloody good!

This won't be to everyone's taste:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk7IiTZgWO4[/media]

Fairport Convention at Burnley Mechanics Tuesday night on their 50th anniversary tour. Good mix of classics and new material, great rapport with the audience, and Peggy superbly versatile - very sparse bassline on some numbers, carrying the melody line with a fiddle and mandolin shimmering over the top on others.

First time I've seen anyone gigging a fanned-fret bass - Ibanez 5, visually understated, lovely.

I saw Doyle Brahmhill II Tuesday night at a small Milewaukee bar.

Smokin!

I will see female guitar goddess Anna Popavich at the same bar this coming Tuesday.

One of the things I like about Milwaukee. Most big acts that hit Chicago will add a Milwukee date.

Blue