Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

Seen Father John Misty on Thursday night in Glasgow. I like him, but was prepared for a laid back semi boring night. Boy was I wrong. The band were brilliant and its was an excellent gig. Better live than on cd defo!

Last night, between my own 'charidee' gigs on sax, Chris Gibbons (guitar). Nice funky blues stuff with a great, relaxed but rhythmic bassist. Last high-profile band was Uriah Heep in Leamington Spa. It was pretty damned cool - they seem to have gotten their umpteenth wind with a new album and much touring. Mick Box in his element and outstanding vocals gymnastics from Bernie.

Our own Sproketflp's Kate Bush tribute 'Cloudbusting' on Friday (excellent as ever) then Magenta on Saturday (first time I'd seen them, also excellent) supported by 3 young lads doing proggy jazz rock intrumentals. They call themselves Kinky Wizards and the standard of musicianship was brilliant.

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1463426928' post='3051304']
Saw Iggy Pop at the Royal Albert Hall on Friday, sublime! A top 5 gig for me for sure! :D
[/quote]
Top 2 for me, especially after I crashed my way down to the front. Some cool vids have apeared on youtube and I seem to be in most of them. Emabarrasingly, I seem to be grinning like some kind of simpleton on every one of them.

• 3 weeks later...

The Blockheads tonight were just awesome! Norman and all the guys on top top form. Haven't smiled so much at a gig in ages.

Also a shout out to the support act, Three Kings High who I thoroughly enjoyed. Fab tone from the bassist, clean through an Orange Terror Bass plus some fuzz through (I think) a Fuzz Face pedal. Fender Jazz and a Yamaha RBX a2. Nice.

Last Friday I saw Brian Wilson in Glasgow on the Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary tour. He's a bit shuffly on his feet these days but he's still got it. Played heaps of hits AND the entirety of Pet Sounds. One of the best gigs I've ever attended - everything was there, from the falsetto singing to the electro-theremin :)

Every Time I Die - The Dome, Tufnell Park last night. Very good, I saw them 5/6 years ago and they've certainly developed. The venue was nice & small (essentially a village hall) with a raised stage, no barrier, no stage security so lots of fans on stage/stage diving (not by me I'm too heavy and old) - really fun night with a great vibe!

• 3 weeks later...

Cory Henry a few weeks ago (just awesome) at Union Chapel, and Coldplay tonight at Wembley. Its amazing the difference when you think about it...I mean from Cory who has a couple grammys to his name playing in a very beautiful setting to a few hundred people, to Coldplay (also multi-grammy winning) playing in Wembley in an amazing and playful setup to 70,000 people.

Speaking of Union Chapel - I saw Steve Earle there last week. Great acoustic duo set with Shawn Colvin.

Night before last saw Go West at The Apex in Bury St Edmunds. I've seen Go West at every available opportunity since they started in the 80s - simply brilliant. Peter Cox has a reedy quality to his voice that is almost surreal. Nice venue, not been there before. Bit nervous about the new guitar player but he was very good. 'The Sun and The Moon' is about as good a live performance as I have ever seen anyone perform. But they still do Sex on Bloody Fire as an encore. Why? Just Why?

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from watching Kamasi Washington and the Next Step at Birmingham Institute.

Really can't remember the last time I enjoyed a gig that much but I suspect I was a teenager.

I got soaked on the way to the venue, there was about 10 minutes worth of drum duet/solo between the two drummers and I missed the last train home and had to pay £50 for a taxi and it was still one of the best gigs I've ever seen.

Earth, Wind and fire last night in Glasgow. Got to within 3 feet of the stage. The atmosphere was incredible the whole night - so much energy onstage. Verdine still has his huge grin but it looked incredibly forced - almost a look of fear behind his eyes.

George Benson at the Royal Albert Hall on Tuesday. Seen him whenever he comes over for the last few years. Sound took a while to get correctly balanced IMO. I think he is starting to lose it a bit, really - vocals weren't up to his usual high standard until about half way through and the arrangements of some of my old favourites are getting increasingly 'jazzy'. Still a blindingly good concert, mind you - just not quite up there with his best.

Lebanese food before the gig - Al Arez just opposite Harrods - always go there for food before RAH gigs. Marvellous!

Earth Wind and Fire at the O2. Thoroughly enjoyed a great night's entertainment with surprisingly huge energy levels from the 3 main pensioners. The new crew are a pretty damned fine band. Pip Bailey still has a remarkable vocal range. The 'ghost' bass player wasn't really very evident until a couple of numbers at the end - Verdine seemed to be doing it almost the entire night.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1467342060' post='3082968']
Saw,Kings X in a small bar Monday night. Haven't been that turned on in years.

Got a chance to talk with and take pic with Dug, Ty and Jerry.

Blue
[/quote]
Wow, lucky guy, have seen them 4/5 times over the years, whenever they come to England, love them to bits. Dogman!!!!!

• 2 months later...

Saw Anaal Nathrakh and Voices in London last Friday, brilliant, chaotic, brutality from Nathrakh, they're my favourite live band, love seeing them.

I thought you'd enjoy a photo of their basssits rig, he played a battered Epiphone Gothic Thunderbird through it and the front of house came from a Behringer BDI21. Didn't sound very articulate, but in the context of the band it worked.

[Img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/Ghost_Upon_The_Stage/20160902_192217_zpsuxl2fcpy.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

Conversely, the bassist in Voices used an American Deluxe Jazz five into a Kemper, powered modelling system and flight-cased Orange cab, I remember Stickman on here commenting that support acts always had more kit than headliners and this seemed a case in point.