Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1446811707' post='2902514']

I was there too, with daughter and her boyfriend, who is huge MC fan. I thought same as you about the sound - we saw Queens of the Stone Age at the NIA and it was just a loud, fuzzy mush, whereas this was loud enough for impact, but everything was very well defined. I thought Alice was great, considering I was first blown away by Killer in 1972 and those songs still stand up now, and he's still being guillotined on stage, and he doesn't have to say "m*****f***er" every five minutes to get the audience going :o . Not that that's really a dig at Motley Crue, I do know how that genre works. The pyrotechnics were amazing, when the flame throwers went off we could feel the heat in the middle of the hall and the mechanical stuff was spectacular. I also liked the encore where they played at the end on a mini stage in the middle, which happened to be right where we were standing. Actually Nikki Sixx is my kind of bass player - keep it simple, look cooler than anything and use a Thunderbird. All in all, best gig we've seen for a long long time.

Spent this morning trying to get tickets for The Stone Roses, what a waste of an hour that was. F'in' Ticketmaster.
[/quote]

Great. Sounds like we were stood in the same place. Down side is i have GAS now for a thunderbird. Had an Epi pro4 a while back and regret selling it

Joe Satriani at the Cliff's Pavilion last night. I was expecting to be bored but felt obliged to see such a huge name at a small local venue. In fact I was totally blown away. Quite astonishing. I only knew a handful of his tunes before, seemed he decided to play all the ones I know at the end. Satch Boogie ended the set, Big Bad Moon and Surfing The Alien for encores! I probably enjoyed those as much as I have anything I have ever seen anyone perform but the rest of the show was pretty fantastic, too. The guy is a complete master of the instrument. I even enjoyed the support, Dan Patlanski - very Hendrix-esque.

U2 on Monday. Which was a thrill for me as I never thought when I was young I would see them live being that I'm from a land far far away, that I paid cost price for the ticket only a couple days before the show (and not the rediculous 100's resellers ask for), and that I was literally right next to the stage. I was only looking at Adam Clayton's Warwicks in front of me, heh.

Marcus Miller at Birmingham Town Hall last month: superb show, the cream of Birmingham's bass guitar fraternity in the audience as far as I could see (well, myself and Steve Lawson were there 😎)
Before that it was Primus and before that Death from above 1979

Saw Chic in a big top in Limerick on Tuesday, amazing gig. They've probably got the best set list out there. Since the last time they toured here their profile has gone up quite a lot, so this is the last reasonably small venue they play and it was nice to get in early and get right up the front, get the sound straight from the amps on stage. Jerry Barnes is one hell of a player and pulls some of the most entertaining faces you'll see on a stage.

Last gig, and only gig for many years, was in March: Judith Owen, Leland Sklar, Russ Kunkel and Pedro Segundo. Not a boring note in the entire set. If you've not seen this setup yet, I can only recommend that you do. I will try to see them again, if I can, and I've never done that for anyone else, ever.

Bad Manners, although I never actually intended too. I was at a local county show and there were various acts on stage, with Bad Manners being the headline. He was about 40mins late on stage but "threw a good show" even if its not my style of music, as a muso I enjoy most things. I was particularly interested in the audience demographic; not seen that many 50yr old guys in Doc Martins and green bomber jackets before :D

Saw Chic last week. Amazing! I knew it would be a good gig but it far surpassed my expectations. Got a spot in the front row (standing) right in front of Jerry Barnes and one of the lovely female lead singers. Couldn't have been better situated as we got a great impression of the bass/drums grooving before it even hit the FOH. On top of that - I shook Jerry Barnes' hand afterwards! Superb night.

[quote name='mikeycrikey' timestamp='1447699226' post='2909632']
Went to see Albert Lee in Manchester without knowing any of his songs or hearing anything he's done before. Absoloultley blown away by his talent, fantastic band, fantastic gig. Now checking out some of his back catalogue
[/quote]

I like this one. But who's the sick looking bloke at 0:47 ? :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGU63KqXuZk

[quote name='mikeycrikey' timestamp='1447699226' post='2909632']
Went to see Albert Lee in Manchester without knowing any of his songs or hearing anything he's done before. Absoloultley blown away by his talent, fantastic band, fantastic gig. Now checking out some of his back catalogue
[/quote]

I never knew much about him apart from his on the boulevard album. I loved that song, in fact I still do!

Edited by ubit

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1447720483' post='2909835']
I never knew much about him apart from his on the boulevard album. I loved that song, in fact I still do!
[/quote]

Seen him a few times playing at local village hall in Ravenshead, Notts.....he has friends locally and comes here every year.......what an amazing talent he is; he deserves so much more recognisition....great guitarist and singer...he could have been Glen Campbell!

I saw Will Young in Glasgow last Friday. I was surprised in that the show was better than I had expected.
I went along as my friend Paul Turner ( Jamiroquai ) was on bass. Really great band, and Michelle John ( Eric Clapton backing singer ) was amazing as always.
Paul's bass sounded great through the PA. I spoke to the sound guy afterwards. Turns out he did the sound on Kate Bush's recent Hammersmith gigs.