Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 16:53, Marc S said:

Yes, I know. Of course, Kraftwerk didn't "invent" electronic music - far from it. They were among other German bands pioneering the Genre, bands like Tangerine Dream

Tangerine Dream will always be my favourite electronic band. Saw them twice, or possibly 3 times, thinking about it.

In a totally different vein, last live bands were First Aid Kit supported by The Staves, last week. Absolutely bloody brilliant.

• Like 1

On Monday last week I saw Caro Emerald at the Cliff's Pavilion in Westcliff.  Very enjoyable show.  New tunes sound just like the old ones but that's ok.

Thursday last week I saw Level 42 at the Royal Albert Hall.  Fabulous gig.  I've been going to L42 gigs since they started and they play as well now as they ever have.  Their lighting is always fantastic but they did one of the simplest yet most effective things I have ever seen.  On each of the 4 corners of the stage and hung centrally were disco mirror balls.  In 'Starchild' they cut most of the lights except for the beams falling on these mirror balls and the entire auditorium of the RAH was covered in moving stars.  You could almost hear the collective gasp.  I'd seen them a couple of weeks before, also at the Cliff's Pavilion, and the effect was good but not as awe inspiring as when it illuminated that huge dome.  They played some older stuff, including the uber Jazz funk Mr Pink.

Over the last ten days I've been to see Turin Brakes, supported by the brilliant Eliza Shaddad,  in Northampton, Leamington Spa, Lincoln and Galashiels. The injunction prevents me from attending any more.   The Mac Arts centre in Galashiels was a brilliant venue for such a tiny town; I don't know if anyone here has been there?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muppet said:

Over the last ten days I've been to see Turin Brakes, supported by the brilliant Eliza Shaddad,  in Northampton, Leamington Spa, Lincoln and Galashiels. The injunction prevents me from attending any more.   The Mac Arts centre in Galashiels was a brilliant venue for such a tiny town; I don't know if anyone here has been there?

I saw Turin Brakes and Eliza Shaddad earlier this year,  they were absolutely brilliant. I'd seen Turin Brakes for the first time last year without knowing anything about them - I went along with a band mate who had a spare ticket - and thought they were one of the best bands I'd ever seen. So, I promised my wife I'd take her to the next gig they did our way. It was a brilliant gig, and Edie Myer is an absolute gem, both on bass and as a general good laugh. Eliza Shaddad was superb, probably one of the only support artists that I've ever really taken much interest in. There were people at the gig who'd bought tickets specifically to see her. I'd definitely see them both again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baxlin said:

Barron Knights in Chesham last night.  Brilliant musicians, they announced they will be stopping touring next year.

I saw them several years ago at Wolverhampton. Apparently they formed in 1959 which makes this their 59th year of performing though just 1 original member remains. Very entertaining and good musicians.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grandad said:

I saw them several years ago at Wolverhampton. Apparently they formed in 1959 which makes this their 59th year of performing though just 1 original member remains. Very entertaining and good musicians.

The original member I think is Pete (Langford ?),  who now takes the lead role.

60 years seems a good time to bow out, methinks.

Robben Ford, last night in Issoudun. A bit lac-lustre to be honest. Love his sound and phrasing but he's not a great songwriter and his lyrics appear to be simply the spaces  between solos.  He's obviously touring the new album, fair enough, but you'd think he'd throw in a couple of his older numbers from the Blue-line days as that's when he picked up most of his fans over here as a solo artist.  

Bass player certainly up to the job (I'd not heard of her before asking on here) Ryan Madora. Her playing didn't seem to have the personality of Roscoe Beck's but in all fairness, that could have been due to the current line-up due to  a second guitar on stage this tour. I'd only seen him as a trio or with keys before. Highlight of the show was the drummer really. Gelled perfectly with the bass but his playing stood out as exceptionally tasteful. 

Oh, and Robben,  just a tip mate, the Max Wall look is not a good one🤨 (Can't post a pic as we were all banned from using any kind of image or sound recording equipment)

Edited by leschirons
Spelling error

3 minutes ago, leschirons said:

Robben Ford, last night in Issoudun. A bit lac-lustre to be honest. Love his sound and phrasing but he's not a great songwriter and his lyrics appear to be simply the spaces  between solos.  He's obviously touring the new album, fair enough, but you'd think he'd throw in a couple of his older numbers from the Blue-line days as that's when he picked up most of his fans over here as a solo artist.  

Bass player certainly up to the job (I'd not heard of her before asking on here) Ryan Madora. Her playing didn't seem to have the personality of Roscoe Beck's but in all fairness, that could have been due to the current line-up due to  a second guitar on stage this tour. I'd only seen him as a trio or with keys before. Highlight of the show was the drummer really. Gelled perfectly with the bass but his playing stood out as exceptionally tasteful. 

Oh, and Robben,  just a tip mate, the Max Wall look is not a good one🤨 (Can't post a pic as we were all banned from using any kind of image or sound recording equipment)

I saw him a couple of years back at Leicester Square and was left with the same opinion.  Beautifully played, creatively brilliant solos around a selection of dull tunes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, doomed said:

Corrosion Of Conformity and Orange Goblin last night in Cardiff.

Blimey, saw Corrosion of Conformity when they supported Megadeth back in the early 90's. Didn't know they were still going. 

Saturday was Damnation Festival in Leeds, I saw Napalm Death, Ihsahn, Batushka, Anaal Nathrakh, Ne Obliviscaris, OHHMS, Cancer, Fukpig and Vola

Most of the bands were great, I work the festival so it was good that other than a fire alarm going off and one arsey band the day went really well.

Every year, whilst moving them first thing in the morning, I do curse 8x10s as pointless, obsolete, 1960s technology in a venue that has modern PA and monitoring technology. Aye, they look cool, but no-one in the audience will hear this stupidly heavy box we're trying to get down stairs.

From a bass playing perspective, Ne Obliviscaris and Vola were both superb, I was surprised Ihsahn had no bassist, just 8 string guitars and keys. I can see why he didn't feel the need to hire a bassist as well in those circumstances, but it was a shame he wasn't playing anything from the first couple of solo albums as a result.

Edited by Graham

Saw Reef at the Cheese and Grain in Frome on Thursday. Second time I’ve seen them this year, also saw them at Motion in Bristol. Such a good live band. First time I’d been to the venue, really small place which was cool, hard to imagine that the Foo Fighters did a gig there before headlining Glastonbury! Support was from Broken Witt Rebels, who were excellent, singer has a great voice with a very powerful blues rock tone. 

Saw the Feeling at their 12th Anniversary performance of the "Twelve Stops And Home" debut album at Shepherds Bush Empire on Friday night! Such wonderful, well crafted power pop tunes and performed so well. They are a hugely entertaining and engaging band, great arrangements and vocal harmonies and Richard Jones plays some wonderful melodic bass throughout. Textbook!.

Edited by cetera

31 minutes ago, ern500evo said:

Saw Reef at the Cheese and Grain in Frome on Thursday. Second time I’ve seen them this year, also saw them at Motion in Bristol. Such a good live band. First time I’d been to the venue, really small place which was cool

Cool? It can be b*** freezing!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, cetera said:

Saw the Feeling at their 12th Anniversary performance of the "Twelve Stops And Home" debut album at Shepherds Bush Empire on Friday night! Such wonderful, well crafted power pop tunes and performed so well, They are a hugely entertaining and engaging band, great arrangements and vocal harmonies and Richard Jones plays some wonderful melodic bass throughout. Textbook!.

I wish I'd spotted they were doing this in Bexhill before the event, would have really liked to have seen it

a little late, but I saw the Anti-Flag and Cancer Bats co-headliner at Heaven last Thursday. 

Not the best gig I've ever seen from either of them, but I have seen them a lot and they always put on a good show.  This was no exception: B+ rather than A for both bands, with Anti-Flag probably winning the night.  They both seemed to be having a load of fun, and that's usually infectious.

Bass wasn't brilliant in the mix for either of them - a bit mushy and indistinct, although bonus points do go to the sound man for keeping the volume at a very reasonable level all night - no ringing ears for anybody the next day.  Both bass players know their stuff and were playing very well while putting on a great show.

Weirdly, but handy for me as I had an early start on Friday, it was a 10.00 curfew (presumably the venue turned into a club) Anti-Flag were off by about 9.50 and as it's one stop from Waterloo I was home by 10.30.  Very civilised for a midweek gig.

Not something I would ever have expected to be saying, but I saw Slayer, Lamb of God, Anthrax and Obituary last night at the Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff.  To be honest I'm not really a fan (I quite like some Metallica, but that's about as thrash as I get) but both my boys are so it was a lads night out really.

I have to say I really enjoyed Anthrax, and was surprised that they were relegated to third on the bill seeing as they're one of the big four, but the thing that pleased me most about the night was how good the sound was.  Not sure if it was quality of engineer, position (stood just in front of the mixing desks) or being the first time that I've used custom moulded plugs (rather than generics) as an audience member - possibly a combination of all three - but it was pretty good.  Kick was still pretty high in the mix, but not as overwhelming as I've experienced recently.

Most importantly my lads both enjoyed it immensely.

6 minutes ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

Not something I would ever have expected to be saying, but I saw Slayer, Lamb of God, Anthrax and Obituary last night at the Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff.  To be honest I'm not really a fan (I quite like some Metallica, but that's about as thrash as I get) but both my boys are so it was a lads night out really.

I have to say I really enjoyed Anthrax, and was surprised that they were relegated to third on the bill seeing as they're one of the big four, but the thing that pleased me most about the night was how good the sound was.  Not sure if it was quality of engineer, position (stood just in front of the mixing desks) or being the first time that I've used custom moulded plugs (rather than generics) as an audience member - possibly a combination of all three - but it was pretty good.  Kick was still pretty high in the mix, but not as overwhelming as I've experienced recently.

Most importantly my lads both enjoyed it immensely.

I ummed and aahed about this tour, only really because it is Slayer's farewell, but in the end have given it a miss - I've seen all the bands so many times over the years, mainly at festivals, that I don't feel the need (plus, in my experience Slayer can be very hit or miss - brilliant at Download in 2017, shockingly poor at Bloodstock in 2016).

Glad it was a good night - Anthrax are brilliant when they're on form, as are Obituary (Lamb of God have never done anything for me, but it's me, not them...)