Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

I am quite a prolific gig goer and like to think I have a fairly eclectic taste. I was wondering who you all have seen lately and what they were like. I only ask because last night we went to see the excellent Death Cab For Cutie in Glasgows 02. They were superb as expected. The support however, were, at least to us, rank rotten. They are called Chastity Belt and if you look them up on YouTube, they are passable, though not particularly my taste. Live however, they are dire. No stage craft, out of tune playing and singing, bum notes etc. You name it, they were afflicted by it. I would even go as far as saying, they are the worst band I've ever seen live on a big stage. Maybe they had a bad night, but somehow I don't think so.
Let us know your experiences good or bad of others, as a warning/ tip so that we might go fore armed to future gigs.

I don't that often these days as I don't like the mega venues, or the ticket prices that accompany them (to be fair the price of admission to some medium sized venues is ridiculous too). However, my last gig was Thunder, at the Hammersmith. Great gig with a double edged sword in support: Tax the Heat - very good and Reef - bloody awful. Chris Childs was using a Ric 4003 through an Orange rig with a Thunder, sounded lovely.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1446566426' post='2900364']
Last non-local band were Snarky Puppy who were great! Support was also Snarky Puppy :)

[/quote]

So jealous...they played Cambridge Corn Exchange a couple of weeks ago but I had nobody to go with.

I saw UB40 at Uni of Herts recently - sound was rubbish - couldn't hear the keys, horns or vocals for much of the gig....see my thread about "Encores"

Pub covers band a few weeks ago, called V8. Although a fair amount of the material was a bit on the heavy side for me the playing was excellent, bass player even did a bit of tapping during an extended ending of last song of set 1. Don't know if he's a member here but he was very good in his role. Last 'name' band was probably Spock's Beard at the end of Sep. I've missed some bands I've really wanted to see as they clashed with my own band's gigs.

Mrs S and I go to gigs quite a lot. Last band I saw was kind of spoof Tex-Mex band 'Los Pacaminos' at a small local venue. 3rd or 4th time I've seen them - very entertaining. Paul Young is the draw, but he is way past his sell by these days - the main front man, Jamie Moses, is a star imo.

Before that was Snarky Puppy at Hammersmith who I am sorry to say I didn't enjoy. Before that Zac Brown Band at the O2 who turned in a perfect rendition of some of their more bland material, sadly. Before that Level 42 at IndigO2, which kind of set the bar for the year. I've been watching Level 42 for 30 years and this was as good as I have seen them.

Coming up this month Joe Satriani at the Cliff's Pavilion, Matt Schofield at Brooklyn Bowl, Average White Band at Royal Festival Hall, Simple Minds at the O2, Go West at the Cliff's Pavilion, Caro Emerald also at the Cliff's Pavilion. And I'm away on holiday - busy month!

450 kms round trip to attend the farewell concert given by Kiemsa, in Nantes. A ska/rock/punk band I was with for a few years, doing the sound, then lights; our eldest was their Guitar 1 for a few years, too. A great night, well worth the voyage. I've a fair bit of footage of the event. A unique occasion. I'm no longer in the local festival team, and am frankly well past my 'sell by' date, so don't get out much, nowadays. Maybe next summer, if our band get a couple of festival dates..?

The Shires - love their stuff on the radio but the gig suffered from the usual kick drum boom, I also believe a lot of the gig was backing track and the bass and lead guitarist were miming. Just weird sound. There was probably only two numbers where they I could say they were producing all the parts heard. Anyone else seen them.

Apparat. First sit-down gig I've been to in years. Fairly hard to describe music: 'film soundtrack' would be my closest guess. :)

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD4iuvGWalc[/media]

BTW: this is not my recording - I'm old school and prefer to watch with my eyes and not through a phone camera...

Edited by matski

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1446569561' post='2900416']
The Shires - snip -Anyone else seen them.
[/quote]

Saw them at the Country to Country weekend a couple of years ago. Thought they were 'ok' but nothing special. Begged comparison with another duo, 'Striking Matches' who were totally exciting.

These day I don't get to go to many gigs that I'm not also playing, and unfortunately my enjoyment of the other bands is somewhat tempered by the need to be ready to play myself or the fact that I'm manning the merchandise stand.

However I've just come back from the Whitby Goth Weekend where I saw loads of great bands including Altered Images, Vince Ripper & The Rodent Show, The Last Cry and Spear Of Destiny.

Having done a load of gigs on the same bill as Vince Ripper & The Rodent Show, it was a refreshing change to see them when I didn't have any Terrortone duties and could just have a few beers and enjoy the music.

Edited by BigRedX

Saw Richard Thompson a few weeks ago in Nottingham, excellent as always. A couple of weeks before that I saw The Felice Brothers in a really small venue in Birmingham, I thought they were really, really good..... Mind you, that may have partly been due to the fact that I was only about 4 feet away from them (I don't go to many standing gigs nowdays)