Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

The Apollo in Manchester to see Greta Van Fleet, supported by the Marcus King Band. A very, very good gig all round - MK and his 7-piece band were outstanding, a band with lots of gears, like a cross between Grand Funk Railroad, Skynyrd and a Baptist Revival meeting at Muscle Shoals...top points to the two-man horn section, who multitasked with aplomb (trumpet with one hand and tambo in the other?)...and that Greta Van Fleet...maaaaannnn, that's one of the best voices I've ever heard in there - it soars like very little else...there was the feel of an event, a theatre to it (a white stage, with 10ft side spots) which lifted the place, I've seldom heard an audience singing like that...oh, and the overall sound was pretty good, too; not quite so much for MK, but I suppose a 7-piece support band aren't gonna get more attention than the 4-piece (singer/bass/guitar/drums) headliners from the desk...at least the Cannon Kick was absent...

• Like 1

St Vincent at the H. Odeon last night, Justin Meldal-Johnsen on bass - including his dpahne blue Mustang (does he play his own signature model?), a Hofner Club, a beat up brown Fender P, the new bass (see post on https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/466178-bass-id-game-glasto-edition/)

Let's also hear it for Mark Guiliana on drums and Rachel Eckroth on keys (and the brilliant backing singers)

• Like 1

Tremonti at Shepherds Bush Empire.

The band were excellent, top notch, and the sound was LOUD. The guitars and vocals (for me) were all good, the bass was it's usual mess for a hard rock band, and the drums struggled to be clear against the wall of guitar, but maybe it's where I was standing.
And ( maybe I'm just getting too old for this type of gig, or covid has reset my preferences) my god there were some people in there, never seen it so full, it was actually uncomfortable, even at the back where the main bar is. I did find a bit of space near a side bar eventually.

Touché Amoré in Brighton last night, brilliantly fun gig, they're a superb live band and the frontman really knows how to work the audience.

It felt great to be at the front, in the pit and singing along, even if I did get told off by security for stage diving.

As an interesting aside for this forum, the bass player for the principal support band used not just the headliner's bass amp (which was a rental I think), but his bass as well which I don't think I've seen before

8 hours ago, Graham said:

As an interesting aside for this forum, the bass player for the principal support band used not just the headliner's bass amp (which was a rental I think), but his bass as well which I don't think I've seen before

There's a hell of a lot of incidences of crucial bits of kit going missing or getting delayed on flights at the moment with the state of the airports at the mo, so wouldn't be at all surprised if that's had something to do with it!  One band recently had 14 items of their fly pack go missing at Heathrow, and a tech friend of mine has just flown to America with a touring party and none of the backline made it to the other end, nor did his personal luggage!

Just now, mike257 said:

There's a hell of a lot of incidences of crucial bits of kit going missing or getting delayed on flights at the moment with the state of the airports at the mo, so wouldn't be at all surprised if that's had something to do with it!  One band recently had 14 items of their fly pack go missing at Heathrow, and a tech friend of mine has just flown to America with a touring party and none of the backline made it to the other end, nor did his personal luggage!

Yes, I hadn't considered that, quite likely the case

It's also quite possible it was the other way round and the headlining bassist was borrowing one from the support

Saw Brother Strut last night at Bury St Edmunds. Playing their last gig of the tour tonight in London. They were tight as a gnat's chuff and absolutely superb. Paul Turner and Rob Harris both fabulous (as expected), but so were all of the others. This one will live long in the memory. Can't wait to see them again.

Edited by Japhet
  • Like 3

On 30/06/2022 at 10:10, sykilz said:

Tremonti at Shepherds Bush Empire.

The band were excellent, top notch, and the sound was LOUD. The guitars and vocals (for me) were all good, the bass was it's usual mess for a hard rock band, and the drums struggled to be clear against the wall of guitar, but maybe it's where I was standing.
And ( maybe I'm just getting too old for this type of gig, or covid has reset my preferences) my god there were some people in there, never seen it so full, it was actually uncomfortable, even at the back where the main bar is. I did find a bit of space near a side bar eventually.

I saw Tremonti in Manchester and it was the same problems. Loud even with my earplugs in, though the bass wasn't too bad. It was one of the most rammed gigs i have ever been to, and incredibly hot with it being mid 20's that day. They always put on a hell of a show though. 

Edited by LiamPodmore

8 hours ago, LiamPodmore said:

I saw Tremonti in Manchester and it was the same problems. Loud even with my earplugs in, though the bass wasn't too bad. It was one of the most rammed gigs i have ever been to, and incredibly hot with it being mid 20's that day. They always put on a hell of a show though. 

Seems their sound guy just cranks everything to 11 and thinks "that'll do", which is annoying as the band deserve better. They were great.

Guns n Roses at Spurs on Saturday 2nd July.

Sound was very poor for first 3 or 4 songs, but got a lot better. Great gig (other than early sound prob). Not a great advert for Spurs stadium as a music venue though...

3 minutes ago, Adey said:

Guns n Roses at Spurs on Saturday 2nd July.

Sound was very poor for first 3 or 4 songs, but got a lot better. Great gig (other than early sound prob). Not a great advert for Spurs stadium as a music venue though...

In the end ("gentrification" notwithstanding) it's still in Tottingham.

Rival Sons (and Dirty Honey) in Blackburn...it's a huge building (old theatre with verrrrry high ceilings), the support were really good (tho a smaller club would've suited them better), RS were sublime as always. No cannon kick, either (that's twice in a row now, I've been lucky), and a reasonably defined bass sound...

Roger Daltry + band at the Birmingham Symphony Hall, last night.

Absolutely brilliant show, and the sound was absolutely perfect.

Daltrey's definitely still got the voice, and comes over as a really nice and modest bloke.

I was never a die hard Who fan, but some spare tickets were available so, happily, decided to give it a go. Brilliant.

The only thing that irritated me was that the woman on the "Non-kit" percussion seemed to think she had to be playing something all the time and was constantly jumping around from one thing to the other.

On 04/07/2022 at 09:56, Muzz said:

Rival Sons (and Dirty Honey) in Blackburn...it's a huge building (old theatre with verrrrry high ceilings), the support were really good (tho a smaller club would've suited them better), RS were sublime as always. No cannon kick, either (that's twice in a row now, I've been lucky), and a reasonably defined bass sound...

Saw them in Cardiff last night. Great show. The great hall at Cardiff Uni is only about 1500 capacity, so a really nice size venue to see a band. Dirty Honey were great. Rival Sons were fantastic as always, Jay Buchanan has such a good voice 

• Like 1

Rolling Stones at Hyde Park on Sunday night.

Sound was very good, though sometimes the guitars jumped in volume back and forth too much (must be a nightmare dealing with the different output levels of so many vintage guitars being swapped every song! lol!)

Excellent set list of hits, but it did drop off and get a little indulgent in the middle of the set with Midnight Rambler and 2 Keith songs. Jagger was fantastic (where DOES he get that energy at 79?!?), as were Darryl Jones, the keys players and backing singers. I thought the new drummer was a bit push/pull at time..... and Keith/Ronnie were suitably sloppy, but their 'attitude' made up for it ;)

Great fun all in all!

• Like 3

Saw Tears For Fears at Waddesdon Manor last night.  Paid the golden circle ticket price...not rammed, private bar area, clean bogs etc.

They honestly exceeded expectation, very good show, the new album material sits very comfortably with the old stuff.  I guess the only (minor) downside was Curt Smith's voice giving out a bit towards the end, but it was great to see Roland Orzabal just stepping up and singing with him.

32 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Saw Tears For Fears at Waddesdon Manor last night.  Paid the golden circle ticket price...not rammed, private bar area, clean bogs etc.

They honestly exceeded expectation, very good show, the new album material sits very comfortably with the old stuff.

There was a post from Steven Wilson who saw the warmup gig, saying "One of the greatest bands ever for me and sounding better than ever."

56 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

There was a post from Steven Wilson who saw the warmup gig, saying "One of the greatest bands ever for me and sounding better than ever."

I've seen a lot of official footage that sounded quite thin and restrained, if this makes sense, but this was probably one of the best sounding gigs I've ever been to.  We were about 15-20 feet from the stage.

I appreciate it's simply not possible to have six people onstage and create the vocals, so I'm fairly convinced they're using backing tracks for the BVs, there was one error during Head Over Heels (I think), that they recovered from well enough. 

Both guitars we're going through Kempers.  Curt Smith was playing several lovely Duesenberg basses.

Jungle, Bristol Sat 25th June. 

Sound quality superb, Jungle amazing, crowd up for it, danced my socks off for 90 minutes which ain't bad for a 60 year old with arthritic knees. 

Seriously, best gig I have been to, and I have been to a few.