Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

A good range of artists there Pete

Agreed Lozz, also appearing was Jessie J and then Becky Hill next week.

It’s an interesting place to visit, especially with the TT events. Went to watch some of the

qualifying stuff last night and it’s absolutely insane! Bikes flying down streets (that normally

have a 30mph limit) doing 130mph plus. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, casapete said:

Agreed Lozz, also appearing was Jessie J and then Becky Hill next week.

It’s an interesting place to visit, especially with the TT events. Went to watch some of the

qualifying stuff last night and it’s absolutely insane! Bikes flying down streets (that normally

have a 30mph limit) doing 130mph plus. 

You need to book early for the TT. My young brother was trying to go a few yrs back but struggled for decent accomodation so passed on it. He is a mad racing fan tho.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Elvis Costello and the imposters , well , the biggest imposter was the sound ‘engineer’ 

utter , utter garbage 

at the Philharmonic in Liverpool , 

I don’t do stadium/arena/festival stuff  I’ve found the sound crap , but FFS ....

it’s the Philharmonic Hall , sound is what they do 

truly awful , the house management were all embarrassed and couldn’t apologise enough , they should be refunding.

DIRE 

• Sad 4

9 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

Elvis Costello and the imposters , well , the biggest imposter was the sound ‘engineer’ 

utter , utter garbage 

I don’t do stadium/arena/festival stuff  I’ve found the sound crap , but FFS ....

truly awful , the house management were all embarrassed and couldn’t apologise enough , they should be refunding.

DIRE 

My fault, buddy; sorry. I 'phoned, and asked them to get the sound right for those listening from the hotel window opposite. Ooops. :$

• Haha 4

Bad Religion in Bristol on Wednesday night.

Incredibly good live band who get better each time I see them. They're the tightest, most professional punk band and quite obviously love performing. 

The venue was Motion, really good place with better sound than the O2 Academy across town and much more reasonable drink prices and excellent security.

Support was from UK Subs who were absolutely brilliant. 

High on Fire coming up in a couple weeks at The Fleece. Can't wait for that one.

• Like 1

Jools Holland and band last night in Hastings. God knows what the booking fee is for that lot. 18 plus people on stage at one point, plus the crew and transport. 
Worth the reasonable price of admission, great show but I would have turned the vocal mikes up a bit. That band is loud. 

12 hours ago, lurksalot said:

utter , utter garbage 

DIRE 

Were the whole audience noticing the poor sound, or more noticed by fellow musicians?

A-ha and Simple Minds at the Over Oslo festival last night. 

Both good gigs. Happy to see Simple Minds for the first time and was having a good time. Loved that they were not taking themselves to seriously. Great band/musicians with them and they all seemed to enjoy it. It was a good gig. I like them now, I'm convinced they're good people but I may never listen to them again. Just not my thing at all. Still, Godspeed to them.

A-ha were excellent. I haven't seen them since 1987 and they never were kind of band, I was only there because of a girl, but there was always a hint of darkness to their music that I liked, and they are musically brilliant wether you like them or not. That was always a fact to me at least.

To my satisfaction this was a surprisingly dark version of a-ha. Scoundrel days was just fantastic.

I always hated the song Crywolf but it was played in a way that produced a gravity that perhaps was always there but lost to me because of the package it came in.

There was a lovely threatening/menacing edge to the whole gig musically.

They were really dark at times. Loved that. I always knew they were but it was hard to take that side of it seriously at the time when they where big. Some beautiful deep bass going on at times too.

(edit: listening to the scoundrel days album now and it's unbelievably flat and dull. Does not do the songs justice. So much better when darker, angrier angrier and played with aggression. Almost unrecognisable from last nights gig.)

Over Oslo is friendly festival in a beautiful spot with a great view. I recommend it if you ever venture north. Very friendly and calm.

(Lots of flatulence from the ageing crowd makes you enjoy the outdoors even more.) 

(picture taken from overoslo.no, from last year I think)

1594141717_Screenshotoveroslo.thumb.png.d12a79d7f2a13ca18066fbde1356a8a3.png

Edited by HornetPinata
Rambling and inexcusably poor English. etc

On 11/06/2022 at 00:16, lurksalot said:

utter , utter garbage 

DIRE 

There was a serious technical issue with the sound system that hadn't presented itself during the soundcheck, and that the touring tech team worked incredibly hard to resolve during the show. 

Sometimes, despite everyone's best efforts, things can go wrong. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HornetPinata said:

A-ha and Simple Minds at the Over Oslo festival last night. 

Both good gigs. Happy to see Simple Minds for the first time and was having a good time. Loved that they were not taking themselves to seriously. Great band/musicians with them and they all seemed to enjoy it. It was a good gig. I like them now, I'm convinced they're good people but I may never listen to them again. Just not my thing at all. Still, Godspeed to them.

A-ha were excellent. I haven't seen them since 1987 and they never were kind of band, I was only there because of a girl, but there was always a hint of darkness to their music that I liked, and they are musically brilliant wether you like them or not. That was always a fact to me at least.

To my satisfaction this was a surprisingly dark version of a-ha. Scoundrel days was just fantastic.

I always hated the song Crywolf but it was played in a way that produced a gravity that perhaps was always there but lost to me because of the package it came in.

There was a lovely threatening/menacing edge to the whole gig musically.

They were really dark at times. Loved that. I always knew they were but it was hard to take that side of it seriously at the time when they where big. Some beautiful deep bass going on at times too.

(edit: listening to the scoundrel days album now and it's unbelievably flat and dull. Does not do the songs justice. So much better when darker, angrier angrier and played with aggression. Almost unrecognisable from last nights gig.)

Over Oslo is friendly festival in a beautiful spot with a great view. I recommend it if you ever venture north. Very friendly and calm.

(Lots of flatulence from the ageing crowd makes you enjoy the outdoors even more.) 

(picture taken from overoslo.no, from last year I think)

1594141717_Screenshotoveroslo.thumb.png.d12a79d7f2a13ca18066fbde1356a8a3.png

A-ha were a brilliant band back in the 80's. Bought a few of their albums back then and i was never a big fan of pop music but as you say they had a hint of something darker going on. Brilliant vocalist.

Dave

Mini folk-roots festival at a (800 year old) local church.

Nice venue to hear some good music.

Real ale and wine was served in addition to tea, coffee and snacks.

Interesting to see pint glasses etc on the pew shelves.

89F68197-2D8A-4CE3-B3BA-EDE8D9721B53.jpeg

45A307FA-2EBF-4769-BF48-231DFA102EEC.jpeg

Edited by Nail Soup

Saw Jacob Collier in Glasgow last night.

Truly incredible - I was reduced to tears 4 times as it was so good.

Rob Mularkey on bass was fantastic. 

My 20 year old son, who hadn't heard any of Jacob's stuff, said afterwards,  "Dad, that was amazing"

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mike257 said:

There was a serious technical issue with the sound system that hadn't presented itself during the soundcheck, and that the touring tech team worked incredibly hard to resolve during the show. 

Sometimes, despite everyone's best efforts, things can go wrong. 

Well the desk was at the side of the stage , they had no idea what the sound was like out front.

Ian Prowse,  the support, was spot on crystal clear and had the crowd well up for the gig.

The tour declined the option of the house rig.

”serious technical issue” ... not buying that at all , where are you getting that gem from ? 

Pat Metheny just now. Some quality stuff with great sound, and no talking inbetween... Well over 2 hours of great performance. For all that folks bang on about Jaco, the keys player managed a good approximation of his lines with his left hand, while simultaneously doing keys stuff with his right hand 😂

• Like 2

11 hours ago, lurksalot said:

Well the desk was at the side of the stage , they had no idea what the sound was like out front.

Ian Prowse,  the support, was spot on crystal clear and had the crowd well up for the gig.

The tour declined the option of the house rig.

”serious technical issue” ... not buying that at all , where are you getting that gem from ? 

The desk at the side of the stage is the monitor engineer's console, he's mixing what the band hear and has nothing to do with what's out front. 

The front of house console is out in the auditorium and can hear exactly what's going on. 

The tour didn't decline the house rig. The main left and right PA hangs and the flown sub array of the in-house system were used, and augmented with additional ground stacked PA and subs from the touring rig. 

There was a problem with the in-house system that occured early in EC's set which the touring team identified and worked with the house team to resolve. 

As for where I'm getting "that gem" from... I'm a touring engineer and production manager myself, I have a number of colleagues and friends on the EC touring crew and also with the support, and I'm well aware of the issues that they had and how much was done to resolve it as soon as it happened. 

Everyone who works on a show at that level is striving for it to be the best it can be, every day. We put redundancies in place, we plan, we test, we check, but sometimes issues develop that do affect the show and all that you can do is try your best to make it work with the resources available to you. Often, this happens completely unseen and the audience would never even be aware there'd been an issue. Sometimes, unfortunately, that isn't the case. 

Edited by mike257
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mike257 said:

The desk at the side of the stage is the monitor engineer's console, he's mixing what the band hear and has nothing to do with what's out front. 

The front of house console is out in the auditorium and can hear exactly what's going on. 

The tour didn't decline the house rig. The main left and right PA hangs and the flown sub array of the in-house system were used, and augmented with additional ground stacked PA and subs from the touring rig. 

There was a problem with the in-house system that occured early in EC's set which the touring team identified and worked with the house team to resolve. 

As for where I'm getting "that gem" from... I'm a touring engineer and production manager myself, I have a number of colleagues and friends on the EC touring crew and also with the support, and I'm well aware of the issues that they had and how much was done to resolve it as soon as it happened. 

Everyone who works on a show at that level is striving for it to be the best it can be, every day. We put redundancies in place, we plan, we test, we check, but sometimes issues develop that do affect the show and all that you can do is try your best to make it work with the resources available to you. Often, this happens completely unseen and the audience would never even be aware there'd been an issue. Sometimes, unfortunately, that isn't the case. 

That being the case , surely the crew would have made the band, and Costello in particular,  aware of the problem ? 

he had no idea why the audience were calling at him , he had no grasp of what was going on for about 30 minutes, and rather than ask around the crew , he told the audience to “shut the f**k up” 

The story from the venue management was that he turned down the use of the house Rig , 

at the end of the day things do go wrong every now and again , but why is that MY risk in a professional show? if the artist can’t put on  a show to a decent standard , money should be refunded or a new show scheduled.

you can’t just shrug your shoulders and walk off with the money. 

10 hours ago, mike257 said:

I probably shouldn’t dig , but there was no resolution , the sound was abysmal from the first note to the last , there was no noticeable change to any EQ or reverb throughout the night , the vocal was lost, the drums were spilling into everything and the bass an inaudible mush .

Pump it up , an iconic bass line if ever there was one, was just about perceivable.

honestly , if you know the crew and thus the problems , could you share them with us? 

22 hours ago, lurksalot said:

he had no idea why the audience were calling at him , he had no grasp of what was going on for about 30 minutes, and rather than ask around the crew , he told the audience to “shut the f**k up” 

Looks like Elvis is OK to criticise others though:4763A5C8-622C-40AC-9503-8310908B19FE.jpeg.21ad876c71c446190a71cffd6137b4c2.jpeg

( OK Rod’s performance was not great!)