Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

On 29/02/2020 at 14:31, 4000 said:

The support for the Staves was a nice surprise. Matilda Mann; had never heard of her. Obviously very young but also a lovely voice and very nice material. Unfortunately her most memorable song won't get past the swear filter!

Personally sounds no different to the many in fashion breathy female vocalists around at the moment. ☹️

On 06/03/2020 at 01:10, kevin_lindsay said:

Oh, and here's a tip for you all - if you're really impressed by the support act, and decide to pop out to the merchandise stand to let them know, and to also purchase one of their CDs - whereupon you see the guy and then say, "that was great! Loved the songs, and the audience really responded to you" - make sure that the bloke you're talking to is in fact, the artist, and not just a tousle haired guy from the audience that you've accosted as he was attempting to make his way to the toilets!!! Oh dear. 

Prowsey is a mate. I'll tell him that, he'll be tickled 🤣🤣

• Like 1

I did manage to grab him before he got to the merch desk. I let him know that I emjoyed his set, and that I'd already bought one of his CDs at the merch desk. He wouldnt be aware of my faux pas a few minutes before that! Hahaha 

IMG_20200308_120452.jpg

Edited by kevin_lindsay

32 minutes ago, kevin_lindsay said:

He wouldnt be aware of my faux pas a few minutes before that! Hahaha 

He is now, haha! Glad you enjoyed it mate. Ian is great, and I've got a couple of friends on the Elvis touring crew too. I hear it's a great show. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steantval said:

You put a vid up on the thread, expect to get positive comments as well as the negative ones. 🤔

You make a comment, expect to get negative responses as well as positive ones.

Not that my response actually was negative....

Went to a BBC 6 music thing with Mrs C on Sunday with three bands so painfully vanilla I can’t remember anything about them... including what they were called.

*edit - I’ve remembered something else... They attempted to get a mosh pit going at several points to a band about as heavy as Ed Sheeran.

Edited by CamdenRob

Last couple of gigs were The Dead South - an eclectic Canadian bluegrass folk band at a sell out Rock City in Nottingham.  A few days later I witnessed the supremely talented Phil X (lead guitarist with Bon Jovi) and his band Phil X and The Drills at the much smaller Rescue Rooms next door.  An amazing gig with a guy who is not only amazingly talented but also very down to earth and fun to watch.  A bargain at £13.50!  It beggars belief that there are 2nd rate bands selling out Rock City main room (not The Dead South - they were excellent!) and there were less than a couple of hundred at this gig.

As someone once said - never confuse ability with popularity

Edited by DaytonaRik

Stereophonics - Utilitia Arena, Newcastle upon tyne last night. Superb all round gig, i.e.;

• Great set of songs
  • Decent sound and staging (except the bass wasn't prominent enough)
  • Band looked pleased to be there and appreciative of the support
  • Good vibes from the crowd
  • 2 hr show

ESu91tgWAAATiVM.jfif

Edited by Sandypjb
Photo added - Credit to someone else
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DaytonaRik said:

Phil X and The Drills

Thanks to you I ended up watching twelve episodes of the most poorly produced and scripted childrens series ever "Cogs Hollow" drills, drills, drills, drills...

I must have watched it with my daughter a hundred times when she was a pre-schooler.

6 hours ago, DaytonaRik said:

Last couple of gigs were The Dead South - an eclectic Canadian bluegrass folk band at a sell out Rock City in Nottingham.  A few days later I witnessed the supremely talented Phil X (lead guitarist with Bon Jovi) and his band Phil X and The Drills at the much smaller Rescue Rooms next door.  An amazing gig with a guy who is not only amazingly talented but also very down to earth and fun to watch.  A bargain at £13.50!  It beggars belief that there are 2nd rate bands selling out Rock City main room (not The Dead South - they were excellent!) and there were less than a couple of hundred at this gig.

As someone once said - never confuse ability with popularity

Saw Allan Holdsworth in front of about 150 people @ Brentford Watermans Centre in 1990's.

Saw Joanne Shaw Taylor at Chinnerys in Southend last night.  Better than I was expecting, decent range of catchy well-written tunes.  Slick guitar work and superb vocals.  Bass tone was horrible, though - unusual for Chinnerys where the sound is usually so good.  And just 20 mins to get home, always a bonus.

8 hours ago, Paul S said:

Saw Joanne Shaw Taylor at Chinnerys in Southend last night.  Better than I was expecting, decent range of catchy well-written tunes.  Slick guitar work and superb vocals.  Bass tone was horrible, though - unusual for Chinnerys where the sound is usually so good.  And just 20 mins to get home, always a bonus.

I was there too Paul S, agreed the bass wasn't that pleasant, too middy and in your face for my liking. However the rest of the band sounded great, even the drums which had a great snap to them. Never seen Joanne before but she was astounding, very impressed , she came across as a pleasant person too. All in all a good midweek night out. 

• Like 1

Frank Turner last night at the Waterside Theatre in Aylesbury. Just him and an acoustic guitar, he was on top form and the crowd was totally up for it. I’ve seen Frank many, many times and he never disappoints. 

The atmosphere was celebratory; I think we all know there won’t be nights like this for much longer, for a while. I’ve got tickets for other gigs later this month and further, and I’m not expecting any of them to go ahead.

Horse Mcdonald playing solo at the Sound Archive.  I've been a bit of a fan since I saw her in the late 80s on a Jools Holland programme.  I have to say she's still got the range and powerand her songwriting is as good as it has ever been.  It was a superb perfomance with loads of good banter between the songs.

• 2 years later...

Hmm.. seems this one has been dormant for a while

Anyway, Saw tool at the O2. First gig I had been out to for a while (first big gig since the pandemic). Not generally a fan of stadium type places as the sound is often bad and there are too many people.

Anyway, tool aren't going to be playing much longer so decided to go down there to London, stay overnight etc. BIt of a crazy journey, left, decided I should take a credit card in case things didn't all take apple pay, got back - keys still hanging out of the door.. oops. Got on the train, wife lost her ticket betweeen the gate and the train. Got to london, went to book into the hotel, seems the booking didn't complete!

Anyway, the gig, Sat on the ground part (on the ice as my wife calls it, can tell where she is from!), thought it would be nice as I don't really like standing much at gigs these days, then they came on and everyone stood.

Previous band were brass against, only saw the ending of their set but sounded very good.

Take back what I said about the sound, it was as near perfect as you can expect it to be in a big place, really clear and not mushy at all, could hear individual strings of the guitar and bass, only really got messy during big heavy double bass drum parts - maybe due to the fact we were parallel with the sound desk!

Anyway, great gig, sound and visuals, and even better as it had a well enforced 'no phones or cameras' rule, so even though everyone was standing so visibility was poor, at least you didn't have to contend with a wall of cameras, which is one of the things I really don't like about modern gigs (or frankly, understand), apart from the last song, when the phone rule was removed and million phones went up.

I don't think you realise fully how annoying the phone thing is until it isn't there and then finally is on the last song.

Not sure if this counts but i saw The Illegal Eagles tribute band few weeks back and they were amazing.

Probably some of the most proficient musicians i've seen in a band for a while.

Thoroughly enjoyed them. I had the tickets for 2 yrs LOL

Dave

1 hour ago, Angelus said:

I seen Bill Bailey last night. Comedic content and must have played a over a dozen different instruments. Thoroughly enjoyed it. 

He is such a renaissance man, I loved it when I saw him.

• Like 1