Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

Saw Supergrass at the Barrowlands in Glasgow last night.

Really enjoyed it although Mick Quinn's bass was way too quiet. I admit that i didn't know a lot of their tunes until nearer the gig but our drummer had a spare ticket so I went with her.

First standing gig in years and after about an hour I was ready for a seat. I'm getting too old for this sh*t

Standout songs for me were Diamond Hoo Ha Man, St Petersburg and although I don't really like it normally, Alright was fantastic

On 20/02/2020 at 22:51, Si600 said:

The Darkness at Hamburg Markthalle. Really really good show. Completely over the top, just fantastic good fun.

I was going to see them in Watford just before Xmas but the gig was cancelled due to works at the venue not being carried out properly. Was gutted.

• Sad 1

I saw The Levellers last Friday at Falmouth Princess Pavilion. Great little venue, only 600 capacity but a great sound. It was immensely loud but very clear, so much so I felt my knees go a couple of times with the bottom end. The band had great lights as well, insanely bright Motorhead style strobing. The band were absolutely bang on the money, very tight and very enjoyable. My wife is the fan really and I got her tickets as it was valentines night but I really enjoyed myself. 

Massive brownie points for a valentines surprise and a night out I enjoyed. Everyone's a winner 🙂

Mike Halsam and Peter Moss at the official opening of Unique Ukes in Dumfries, two very different styles. Very interesting listening to them informally discussing how they composing and arrange stuff. Had a good chat with Rob Gibb about de-fretting one of my basses and building a new Frankenuke (tonewood, scale length......)

Just got home from seeing Dream Theater in Glasgow.  For once I cold make out some of what Myung was playing. Mike Mangini's kit didn't seem to be mic'd properly (or the sound guy is an idiot) cos we couldn't hear his top end - octobans or smaller toms. James LaBrie's voice isn't getting any better. Still a fantstic gig though.

theater.jpg

Shakatak at the Maritime Room , Cliff's Pavilion, Westcliff.  Seen them oodles of times and unfortunately this was probably their worst performance.  Sound balance was bad, George looked unwell and his timing was out as if everything was a bit fast for him.  Usually he is SO on the money.  Jill was singing a bit flat (er).  Still, some tunes were brilliant.  Brazilian Dawn, my favourite, was amazing.

On 25/02/2020 at 11:19, mangotango said:

Did you stay on to see Shez Raja doing the late set?

No was midweek tired and needed to get home even though I'm only a couple of miles away. As a long time Krantz fan felt enough to have seen him live for the 1st time. Would have loved to see him with Anthony Jackson.

Went to see the Lounge Kittens on their final tour last night at Union Chapel in London.

It's a wonderful venue - a beautiful church with fabulous acoustics and filled seated with (literally) pews. 

As this was their penultimate show, it was clearly an emotional night, but they went out on form, playing two one hour sets covering almost all their released material and more. First set was a standard TLK show - the three of them and a piano, set two they had a full band to fill out the arrangements and sounded brilliant. It meant they could do things like their Prodigy medley too, which I don't imagine they've played live before this tour.

I do hope they recorded at least one of these shows as I'd love to hear it again. If only to experience Glory Hole played in a church again 😂

Cory Wong and his sublime funk in Cork on Thursday and Dublin last night. Simply fantastic. A doff of the cap must go to young Seth Tackaberry who handled bass duties with great skill. I was delighted to see Petar Janjic drumming, comfortably one of the most engaging, entertaining and jaw-droppingly good drummers I have ever seen. I love to see a band who look like they’re having fun and, with that band playing that music, it would be impossible not to. Two great nights, for sure.

The Aristocrats last night in Dublin, my second time seeing them. I think all the notes were played, every last one of them. Most enjoyable and great to see another band so clearly enjoying what they do. Great stuff.

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 1

Supergrass the night before last in Birmingham. Excellent set list, everything you’d want to hear delivered with good humour and warmth, and not a foot wrong all night. Quite enjoyed reliving my Britpop days. Incidentally, the last time I saw them was in Oxford in 1995, a quarter of a century ago... 

Very impressive support act too, Loup Garoux, fronted by former singer-songwriter Ed Harcourt. Enjoyed their set a lot.

Edited by BrunoBass

On 29/02/2020 at 14:31, 4000 said:

The support for the Staves was a nice surprise. Matilda Mann; had never heard of her. Obviously very young but also a lovely voice and very nice material. Unfortunately her most memorable song won't get past the swear filter!

Thanks for sharing - that’s right up my street 🙂

• Like 1

Elvis Costello and The Imposters at the Glasgow Armadillo last night (Thursday 5th March). 

Great energy, and some of my all time favourite songs. However, Elvis' pitching was atrocious in some songs. Funnily enough, it was in his 'normal' register that the vocals would go astray. When he was pushing his voice into his higher / louder register, his vocals were great. 

Good gig nonetheless.

Oh, and here's a tip for you all - if you're really impressed by the support act, and decide to pop out to the merchandise stand to let them know, and to also purchase one of their CDs - whereupon you see the guy and then say, "that was great! Loved the songs, and the audience really responded to you" - make sure that the bloke you're talking to is in fact, the artist, and not just a tousle haired guy from the audience that you've accosted as he was attempting to make his way to the toilets!!! Oh dear. 

Edited by kevin_lindsay
  • Haha 5