Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

Dweezil Zappa - Hot Rats 50. Went yesterday, he still has the same “young” band as 2 years ago when I last saw him. WOW is all I can say, he truly honours his Dad’s legacy. I took my brother in law who had seen Frank a few times, and is the biggest fan. He agreed with me that this was right up there.

68F729C7-2AED-4172-9522-A65C3384BC07.jpeg

3812A3A8-8EB9-4D99-AAD8-E42FFB3A092E.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HazBeen said:

Dweezil Zappa - Hot Rats 50. Went yesterday, he still has the same “young” band as 2 years ago when I last saw him. WOW is all I can say, he truly honours his Dad’s legacy. I took my brother in law who had seen Frank a few times, and is the biggest fan. He agreed with me that this was right up there.

If my dad called me Dweezil I'd feel entitled to squeeze as much out of his legacy as I could 🙂  Is  the the B.N.S. effect?

And whatever happened to Moon Unit?

Frank Turner and The Sleeping Souls last night at the beautiful Symphony Hall in Birmingham. I’ve seen him many times over the years and he never disappoints. This show was a stripped back affair with a strong story telling element throughout. It was also my eight year old son’s first gig; I play Frank in the car on the school run and he’s become a fan. A special and memorable night. Excellent. 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2

8AF5302A-B0D9-4419-BF29-62F1FF764E6D.png

Edited by BrunoBass
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

If my dad called me Dweezil I'd feel entitled to squeeze as much out of his legacy as I could 🙂  Is  the the B.N.S. effect?

And whatever happened to Moon Unit?

Moon, Ahmet and Diva all live happy lives :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MrBen said:

@BrunoBass Seems there were a few decent gigs on in Brum last night. As well and Billy Bragg and Frank, Ride were playing too! 

Yes and also Seth Lakeman was in my home town of Banbury, literally about a mile from where I live. If I hadn’t booked Frank I’d have gone to see him. No good gigs for ages and then loads on the same day! 

Over the last couple of years I have noticed an increase in instances of 'can me and my mate play a few songs during the break?' Not tanked up necessarily, but a variation on the theme, I guess. The trouble lies in getting the buggers offstage again, especially if the pub is full of their mates. Best avoided, methinks.... 

Been a fabulous year for me:  Muse (twice), frank Turner (including to my utter amazement Jimmy eat world who were on my unlikely to ever see bucket list) and a bunch of others.

Latest two have Periphery/plini last night of the European tour and they looked like they were having a good time.  Buck and Evans at the 100 club a couple of weeks ago, great up and coming blues guitarist, bass too low in the mix tho (isn't it always eh?)

• Like 1

Went to see Ginger Wildheart about a fortnight ago (epic gig) and for something completely different, Emeli Sande on Saturday night.

Gospel/soul/pop isn't really my thing ( I went with my wife ) but the vibe was really good, and the drummer, a chap called Jermaine Whyte, was brilliant.

10 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

Yes and also Seth Lakeman was in my home town of Banbury, literally about a mile from where I live. If I hadn’t booked Frank I’d have gone to see him. No good gigs for ages and then loads on the same day! 

Seen Seth twice, fantastic both times. Big fan here.

• Like 1

I saw Torche with Slow Crush in support last night in Brighton.

I had a great night, Slow Crush are a bit of a different vibe from the headliners, being something of a shoegaze band, but they were who made me buy a ticket and I loved their set, really engaging stuff. I bought their album afterward, just wished they'd played for more than half an hour and there'd been more people there, definitely want to see them on a headlining tour.

Torche were brilliant - fun, good humoured - despite problems with the bass amp (the SVT2PRO had been on briefly without a load and that may have been the issue) and super tight.

Really enjoyable to watch and played some great material, I've only recently got into them, so not that familiar with a lot of it.

Well worth catching this tour if you get the opportunity.

On 05/12/2019 at 07:32, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Saw Dweezil Zappa at The Royal Festival Hall last night. I don’t know what he’s paying that drummer and the sax/keys player, but it ain’t enough. They were particularly awesome. Thoroughly enjoyable night - apart from the men’s loo on the 5th floor. Three urinals and only one working and the merch stand - £30 for a t-shirt - I don’t think so.

Is it still Bobby Martin on sax/keys, and Chad Wackerman on drums? I had a video of a Zappa gig in the 80s with them playing and they were brilliant. 

EDIT - nope, my bad, neither of them play with Zappa Plays Zappa.... 

Edited by bassbiscuits

35 minutes ago, doomed said:

Subhumans in Cheltenham, Phil was back on the heavy rig last night.

IMG_20191206_220527_377.thumb.jpg.927fb2d5bbbee07e99df147cc0ff526f.jpg

Loved those old Peavey heads and that's an odd pick-up configuration. Most people would have the P pick-up at the neck position. Wonder how it sounds. ?

Dave

57 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Loved those old Peavey heads and that's an odd pick-up configuration. Most people would have the P pick-up at the neck position. Wonder how it sounds. ?

Dave

Phil has been using a Tech21 vt500 for a while but did say he hadn't got, and wasn't getting rid of the Peavey. Lots of treble in his sound, he always sounds the same, doesn't matter what amp or cab he goes through.

Edited by doomed

On 03/12/2019 at 08:47, BrunoBass said:

@Brunobass Not got to see Seth live yet - bet he puts on a good gig! Got very excited when I walked in to the Billy Bragg gig to see Ride merch as for a split second I thought that was an amazing double bill :D Then sad when I realised there were 2 stages in the venue 🤣

Saw a brilliant up and coming singer called Harriet at the weekend.  A bit jazz influenced, a voice in the Karen Carpenter mode, but she carefully avoided any Carpenters' songs.

IMO she puts all the X Factor cat-wailers to shame!

Edited by Baxlin