Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

I saw Steve Hacket in bath the day before yesterday. Fantastic show, very tight and very well done. Their bass player is excelent (I looked up his name, but forgot, swedish chap). Bass player balanced a rickenbacker upright on his head from the headstock. Quite impressive that!

But you can tell when you are at a prog gig, the queue at half time for the gents went round the corner!

• Haha 1

Mike Stern and Jeff Lorber at 229 The Venue last night... Came away with a strangely disappointed feeling.

Stern's tone, feel and endless capacity for improvisation were everything they should be, and Lorber's keys were great.

I'd been so looking forward to Dennis Chambers and Jimmy Haslip, but it just didn't gel for me. I'd expected Chambers to blow me away, but it could have been anyone up there, it felt sloppy to me, often out of time, and just not great. Haslip was pretty much holding it all together, but he needed a more authoritative tone to fill that role. His playing was great, but the bass sound was just 'there'.

Hawkwind tonight at Guildford. Not seen them before but had a tip off there would be a very special guest joining them, which turned out to be correct - Eric Clapton! I was watching from the side of the stage, and he walked in with his guitar tech and stood next to me so I had a brief chat. Then he joined the band onstage for around 6 songs including ‘Silver Machine’ and an encore. They say never meet your heroes, but I was blown away by seeing someone up close I’ve followed since the late 60’s. He looked in good health too, and played great, using a black maple neck Strat into a Fender Bandmaster 3x10 combo. Apparently EC and Dave Brock go back a long way, and Eric was asked to play with the band at the Royal Albert Hall tomorrow night, which he was unable to do so opted to do tonight instead. Local gig for him too!

• Thanks 1

I saw the Blockheads in Frome on Saturday.

The band were awesome, however I've never taken to Derek's vocals and still feel the same. I get that him and Ian were close I just miss the fire and anger. It's a shame Andy Serkis wasn't up for a career change!

9 hours ago, casapete said:

Hawkwind tonight at Guildford. Not seen them before but had a tip off there would be a very special guest joining them, which turned out to be correct - Eric Clapton! I was watching from the side of the stage, and he walked in with his guitar tech and stood next to me so I had a brief chat. Then he joined the band onstage for around 6 songs including ‘Silver Machine’ and an encore. They say never meet your heroes, but I was blown away by seeing someone up close I’ve followed since the late 60’s. He looked in good health too, and played great, using a black maple neck Strat into a Fender Bandmaster 3x10 combo. Apparently EC and Dave Brock go back a long way, and Eric was asked to play with the band at the Royal Albert Hall tomorrow night, which he was unable to do so opted to do tonight instead. Local gig for him too!

Holy s**t, wish I'd seen that one. Eric and Dave busked together pre-famousness.

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Holy s**t, wish I'd seen that one. Eric and Dave busked together pre-famousness.

I'm a massive EC fan but never knew this! TBH Eric was a bit outside his comfort zone I think, although still managed to sound fantastic. Friend of mine has been doing sound for Hawkwind and alerted me to it happening. I got to watch from the wings, and chat with EC and his tech guy before he went on. Both lovely down to earth people, joking with the crew and not at all 'big time'. I have some photos which I'll try to add later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casapete said:

I'm a massive EC fan but never knew this! TBH Eric was a bit outside his comfort zone I think, although still managed to sound fantastic. Friend of mine has been doing sound for Hawkwind and alerted me to it happening. I got to watch from the wings, and chat with EC and his tech guy before he went on. Both lovely down to earth people, joking with the crew and not at all 'big time'. I have some photos which I'll try to add later.

Apologies for the picture quality - combination of their rather dark stage and my lousy phone!

IMG_20191125_220211.jpg

IMG_20191125_221437.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Hope Dave's cold has dried up now 🙂

Think all the band has been suffering from it. I went on their tour bus and was worried about picking it up myself! Nice people though, all really friendly. There are some clips of EC playing with them on YouTube now.

5 hours ago, KevB said:

Like the way Clapton has left his jacket on in case he bottles it and decides on a quick exit.😂

It was actually a denim shirt over a t-shirt! He was originally down to play a couple of songs but must have been okay with things as he stayed on till the encore.