Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul - last night at the 02 Ritz in Manchester. Full on show, over 2 hours of high energy soulful brass laden stuff. Amazing 3 ladies on vocals and groovy dancing, 5 piece horn section and a great sounding room. Heaven.

M6.jpg

M8.jpg

M14.jpg

M1.jpg

Edited by casapete
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Last night I saw Akercocke in Brighton, it was an all-dayer, but unfortunately I could only get there in time to see these guys headline.

Really enjoyed it, but then they're one of my favourite bands and it was a 150 capacity venue.

Great bass sound too, which you don't always get in extreme metal, I suspect it helps that I was about a metre away from the bassist and his monitor for most of the set. He used a Stingray 3EQ and Darkglass Alpha Omega with no amp on stage - really good tone and far less distorted than the stereotypical Darkglass sound.

Edited by Graham
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, pigface said:

Uli Jon Roth at a small gig at Dieter Dierks' studio in my little dorp outside Cologne. The man can play ...

Uli.jpg

The second or third gig I ever went to, my first at Hammersmith Odeon, was Uli Jon Roth and the Electric Sun.  Don't remember much, other than him playing a lot of old Scorpions songs and being dressed as a Japanese wizard...looks like that hasn't changed

great guitarist though

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to catch Uli Roth, completely by accident in a scratch band with Jack Bruce and Clive Bunker (It was billed as the Scorpions :lol:). The set consisted of early Scorpions stuff, Cream tunes and his solo stuff. He's a phenomenal guitarist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickD said:

I was lucky enough to catch Uli Roth, completely by accident in a scratch band with Jack Bruce and Clive Bunker (It was billed as the Scorpions :lol:). The set consisted of early Scorpions stuff, Cream tunes and his solo stuff. He's a phenomenal guitarist.

He is indeed a master. As you can see in the pic, there were 2 other guitarists (whose names I don't know, I'm afraid) and they played some great 3-part harmonies. This was a small gig in the studio car park, so pretty up close and personal.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, doomed said:

Sleep, last night in Bristol.

I was there too. I didn’t think too much of the sound though. 

I was on Matt Pike’s side and you could barely hear Al. Apart from the phased/wha’d bits that dominated everything.

Edited by bartelby

37 minutes ago, bartelby said:

I was there too. I didn’t think too much of the sound though. 

I was on Matt Pike’s side and you could barely hear Al. Apart from the phased/wha’d bits that dominated everything.

I didn't think much to be honest, I thought Pike looked a bit, put out, at times. I'm glad I went but I wouldn't go to see them again.

High On Fire on the other hand, I'd go every time.

4 minutes ago, doomed said:

I didn't think much to be honest, I thought Pike looked a bit, put out, at times. I'm glad I went but I wouldn't go to see them again.

I much prefer Om to Sleep. Every time I’ve seen Om they’ve totally nailed it.

I spent last night in Glasgow listening to The Sounds of Cream with Ginger Baker's son Kofi on drums, Malcolm Bruce on bass, Jack's son and Eric Clapton's nephew, Will Johns in guitar. After thinking the gig would be cancelled, I recieved a notice saying the guys wanted to do the gig. Quite emotional in places, but such a brilliant live performance and thouroughly enjoyed it. I'd go and see that show again, night I won't forget for some time.

7 hours ago, doomed said:

I saw them in London on Friday night. Stood back near the sound desk and the sound was balanced and the playing was great. Al was an absolute beast

I think the last band I saw was Here & Now at the Summer of Love party in Kent. Great band that I saw many times in the 70s, still have the same  vibe even though the bass player (Keith) is the only original left.

I have to admit that I was only there because my own band was playing as well, but it was a real treat to see (and talk with) the band. They were a big part of my late teens/twenties.

• Like 1

Last night, Tom Harrell at Ronnie Scott's (or as one of the graduates at my work asked, "Who's Rodney Scott?"  No-one laughed, honest.....

Anyway, the Tom Harrell Quartet. Spoiler - no massive bass content, though Ugonna Okegwo played some fine upright bass, stationed between the piano and drums.

No, this was a truly great concert for very different reasons from the usual.

Tom Harrell plays trumpet & flugelhorn (not at the same time, obviously). He is a soloist of rare talent.

He has suffered from paranoid schizophrenia since his University days. He's now 73 and has, against all odds, carved a career in playing jazz.

Without his medication, he can start to hear voices that tell him anything from "You suck, you shouldn't be in the music business", right up to instructing him to walk through window. When he goes on stage, he shuffles on, with his head held low and face to the floor so as not to make eye contact with the audience. When onstage, but not actually playing, he stands off to the side, eyes tightly closed, counting, awaiting his cue. He hardly talks to the audience, except to announce the band members after they've played, struggling to speak. Oh, and he counts off the tunes. That's about it as far as verbal communication goes.

But when he's playing....he stands upright, close to the mike-stand, with the bell of his horn right up to the microphone, as though to ensure that every single note of what he's playing flows through to the audience. You hear 100% of what he's doing. There's no Cat Anderson-style upper register acrobatics to his playing; he finds the horn's sweet spot and sticks there, like a boxer delivering punch after punch.  Faster tunes have a fierce beauty to them; slow ballads resonate with a tender warmth. You won't hear any comfortable entertainment clichés going on. Even when he duets with just the bass on "Embraceable You", he picks apart the melody of this old warhorse of a standard and tiptoes his way through the changes, improvising with a watchmaker's delicate touch. And the tone of the trumpet isn't harsh and bright, like so many jazz guys have. No, it's full and round and warm; that of the flugelhorn even more so.

And yet, Harrell looks so fragile, as though a gentle breeze might blow him over, as if his instrumental link to the audience is all that's holding him up. The band are smartly dressed, sharp even, just like you'd expect from cool jazz dudes. Harrell looks like he's just stepped in off the street.

He managed to spellbind a pretty much full house at Ronnie's for two sets. Many of us left at the end with our jaws still dropped, overwhelmed by the music he produced and probably even more by the struggle that's he'd overcome just to be there.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Baxlin said:

Saw Albert Lee in concert a couple of weeks ago at the 200 seat theatre in Tring.

Absolutely brilliant.

I saw Albert Lee helping out his old mate Richard Thompson at a small venue in the early 80s - he was incredible then and he still is.

• Like 1