Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

Last week at the Shepherds Bush Empire, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes.  Not exactly my cup of tea but Mrs S has been a fan for 40 years.  It ended up being one of the best gigs I've seen for ages - a high octane performance from the 70 yr old Southside and his band.

• Like 3

Last night, Black Grape at Sub 89 in Reading.

Or as they are now billed: Shaun Ryder's Black Grape.  Seems to be just him and Kermit + a backing band.  Much as I like Sub 89 - a small venue that gets some pretty big bands on - I usually have to leave at about 10.30 to get the train home.  So it made a nice change that rather than keeping all the best known songs until the end, all the singles were scattered throughout the set and by 10.00 I'd heard all the songs that I'd be grumpy about missing if they were saved for the encore.

Good band, great sound (if anything, a shade on the quiet side, but brilliant balance) and excellent interplay between the two front men.  Also worked as a good advert for their last album, which had completely passed me by - apparently it came out a couple of years ago, and the songs they did from that fitted in just fine.

I'm told that after I left I only missed one song, which was an extended instrumental jam (although my gig buddy may not have seen all the encores)

Just got home from seeing Andy Fairweather Low locally in Tring, with his bigger band - Lowriders and Highriders.

Such a versatile bloke, nearly 71 years of age, OK, a couple of the old Amen Corner songs might have come down a key or two, but still brilliant, a description which also fits the band.

Great evening, and only 10 minutes from home!

Friday night - The Lounge Kittens at Bush Hall

For those who don't know them, they're a three piece vocal harmony group (+ keyboards) doing covers of well known songs, usually the crassest pop punk, and the filthiest metal and RnB.  Superb night, and when they did their (well established) Prodigy medley on the day of Keith Flint's funeral, there seemed to be a few people with something in their eyes.  Always a great band to go and see, hugely talented, and make beautiful music.

No bass player...although the support act was Grant Sharkey who plays double bass and sings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monkey Steve said:

Friday night - The Lounge Kittens at Bush Hall

For those who don't know them, they're a three piece vocal harmony group (+ keyboards) doing covers of well known songs, usually the crassest pop punk, and the filthiest metal and RnB.  Superb night, and when they did their (well established) Prodigy medley on the day of Keith Flint's funeral, there seemed to be a few people with something in their eyes.  Always a great band to go and see, hugely talented, and make beautiful music.

No bass player...although the support act was Grant Sharkey who plays double bass and sings.

I love The Lounge Kittens, their arrangements and harmonies are just spot on

Last night went to a Paul Gilbert masterclass. Was a great night and he played two songs from his upcoming album too. It was at The Caves in Edinburgh, a great wee venue. 

Aside from Gilbert, he was supported by Chris on bass and an excellent drummer who’s name I’ve forgotten. Chris held things together superbly whilst the guitarists wandered off on multiple crazy shreds. They all seemed to enjoy their evening in a relaxed focused kinda way.  Limited shots here: 

the bass was either an old Precision or maybe a custom shop with a crazy donkey scratch plate, plugged in to an Aguilar tonehammer I think  

0CA64453-9A23-4FB6-A9A6-6032E77BF6C8.jpeg

73FDE7E1-08B6-43FC-A277-7633ADCC1C12.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Sleaford Mods last night, they were, of course, excellent but, for a change, I really enjoyed the support too, a band called Lines from Manchester...

...stark,  post-punk loveliness, first support band I’ve enjoyed for yonks.

AD9CCEF0-49E5-4BE2-90E0-B0924E06B0B6.jpeg

Edited by Frank Blank

I went to see the Love from Stourbridge tour last week. Miles Hunt opening with a short acoustic set, then Pop Will Eat Itself and Ned's Atomic Dustbin headlined the night I saw

.IMG_4936.thumb.JPG.0ea3ce04389b50315b58132ca108446b.JPG

IMG_4947.thumb.JPG.07c64e1e3f01d00028fc8b68643488c8.JPG

IMG_4902.thumb.jpg.7abe11a9fd764d162e1db364b9683010.jpg

With two guitars, bass, two vocals, live drums, samples and sequenced stuff you'd think Pop Will Eat Itself would have the ropey sound of the evening. But theirs was spot on, even right at the front. Ned's, however, need to get rid of their soundguy. Alex's Ric sounded ok, but Matt's Stingray was just clicky attack and nothing more. Couldn't hear the guitar at all, the vocals were buried in the mix and the drums were uneven.

• 3 weeks later...

Ooh.... last weekend went to see 'Tubular Bells for Two' locally, basically a pair of mad aussies who thought it would be a great idea to do Tubular Bells live...just the 2 of em!

Extensive use of loopers and adrenaline and they were both wringing wet by the end.  Supported by gypsyfingers, who I had never heard of, a kind of acid Clannad which was most entertaining, with the added bonus of being co fronted by Luke Oldfield...son of aforementioned Tubular bells creator.

Bass player Simon Hedges was utterly mesmerising, leaping around the stage barefoot gurning like mad and never missing a beat, on a Ric seemingly held together with gaffer tape!!

Edited by Oopsdabassist
mad spelling!
  • Like 1

Little Steven and The Disciples of Soul last night at Leeds 02 Academy. Nearly two and a half hours of amazing material covering many genres, all played superbly by a fifteen piece band. Sound was really good even though we were on the balcony. The superb Jack Daley on bass too, playing a white Stingray rather than his usual black Jazz. They are doing other dates in Glasgow, Bristol and London, highly recommended.

• Like 1

The Spirit of Bad Co & Free at Lanark Memorial Hall.

Band were good. Individually all great musicians and very competent. Singer did a great Paul Rodgers too.

I never got to see the original bands but what came across last night was that it was very subdued. Not sure what it was. Band sounded more like a club band doing covers if that makes sense. Not sure if it was down to a lack of energy in their individual playing or the fact they were pretty quiet. I was in 3rd row centre and i could even here the click from the guitarists pedals during songs. Good for my hearing but it just didn't come over like how i imagined the original bands.

Still worth seeing if you're a Bad Co or Free fan.

Majority of the band also do an Eagles tribute called Hotel California who also have a good reputation on the tribute scene.

Dave 

6 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Good for my hearing but it just didn't come over like how i imagined the original bands.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I went to see Rainbow recently at the Hydro in Glasgow. The sound was good, it was clear and balanced. the only trouble was, it was too quiet. I want to feel the bass and drums. I want to be assaulted by a raw rock sound. Not hear a polite, watered down version. Rock bands should be loud. Ok, not so much as its hurting you but there needs to be a certain volume for you to get the full experience.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kevin_lindsay said:

I'm going to see Little Steven at the Glasgow O2 Academy tomorrow night - should be fun! 

It will be! Apparently Steven is doing a DJ set at Glasgow Hard Rock Cafe tonight as well. Enjoy the gig.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubit said:

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I went to see Rainbow recently at the Hydro in Glasgow. The sound was good, it was clear and balanced. the only trouble was, it was too quiet. I want to feel the bass and drums. I want to be assaulted by a raw rock sound. Not hear a polite, watered down version. Rock bands should be loud. Ok, not so much as its hurting you but there needs to be a certain volume for you to get the full experience.

Seeing this quite a lot these days. Shame as you lose the feel of the band 

Take That + Rick Astley at the NIA last night.

Yes, I know... What can I say, it was a fait accompli

Highlights:

Rick Astley's voice. He's a million trillion miles from the spotty git of yore, his singing is now a joy to listen to. Such a rich, souly voice. Plus he came across as genuinely delighted and excited to be there, which is always a bonus.

TT's stage show, the lighting and effects etc. Quite simply mindboggling, the finest indoor visual spectacle I've ever seen.

Both bands; top-drawer talent giving their very best. Lee Pomeroy on bass for TT, didn't catch RA's bassist's name. EDIT: his name is Julian Cox. Very capable chap.

Lows:

The sound. Dreadful. I didn't hear a single note of bass all night, it was all a bit of a mush apart from the vox. And I was sat/stood 10ft from the desk too. Mind you, the place is an absolute barn so it's probably not surprising.

Screechy idiots full of prosecco, either yelling conversations at each other or screaming at the band. SHUT. THE. FCK. UP. I didn't come here to listen to YOU, you witless harpies. I hope your hangovers are near-fatal this morning.

Edited by Rich

Yola at the Caroline Street social club in Saltaire. Sold out gig (200 capacity) , wonderful venue. My fears when seeing the small Mackie PA were unfounded, as the sound was faultless.

One of the most outstanding gigs I’ve been to in recent years. Amazing young band - keys, guitar, drums, pedal steel and bass ( electric and DB) all playing to serve the wonderful songs. Yola was simply incredible, her vocals never failing to reach out and connect. We managed to get seats near the front, and were mesmerised throughout. If you get chance to catch her on the rest of the tour you won’t be disappointed. Dates coming up in Manchester, Nottingham, Birmingham, London , Bristol and Brighton.

Saw Snapped Ankles last Saturday at The Cookie in Leicester....Great little 150 capacity venue and a great crowd that were bouncy but not mental.

For music that's quite minimal it's very infectious and the whole stage get up just adds to the whole bonkers vibe....Going to see them again in October : )   

download (10).jpg

Been out in Antigua for the last ten days and saw some excellent quality reggae bands, fabulous musicians and amazing female vocalists.

One of the top bands are Spirited, a 7 piece including two female vocalist, featuring two ex world class cricketers, Curtly Ambrose on bass and Richie Richardson on guitar.

This is a promo video doing a Maroon 5 cover.

Edited by steantval