Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

My son's band, Orynthia, at Krakatoa in Aberdeen last Friday (not counting my own gig on Saturday :) ).

They won the annual Battle of the Bands competition on the night - good effort seeing as over 100 acts entered originally, and £2K in their pocket that they're buying studio time with. They're actually very good. The other guitarist tours Europe with a prog act called Sithu Aye, and has an endorsement with Sandberg Guitars. Elements of Pallas, Haken, stuff like that in their sound. If they pull their fingers out they could do very well.

As a technical musician, the little bugger left me behind years ago. :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HengistPod said:

As a technical musician, the little bugger left me behind years ago. :)

Not doubting his ability at all but to be fair, nowadays it’s so much easier to practice when you are young. All the online help you can get that we never had. Before anyone says you can still do it, bedroom practice when you are 14-16 is the best practice you will ever get. You just have so much more time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Los Pacaminos, last night in Hull. Led by Paul Young, they're a 7 piece Tex-Mex style band, playing originals and a few covers too. Despite not being a capacity audience in Hull Truck theatre, they were excellent - entertaining, funny and also great players and vocalists. Bassist had a P-bass with a red glitter scratchplate , which sounds hideous but was strangely quite nice. They are currently doing gigs all over the UK, a lot in intimate venues - if you just fancy a good night out then I can't recommend them enough.

Saw JZ Replacement last night at Mau Mau Bar, a great little place on Portobello Road. An intense but funky sax/bass/drums trio with Tim Lefebvre on bass, and a real treat to see him do his stuff up close. Some great tones, especially the gnarly distortion he was getting from a Microtubes X7. Excellent drums and sax from Jamie Murray and Zhenya Strigalev too.

They are playing a late show tonight at Ronnie Scotts - recommended if you like that sort of thing.

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 09:19, HengistPod said:

My son's band, Orynthia, at Krakatoa in Aberdeen last Friday (not counting my own gig on Saturday :) ).

They won the annual Battle of the Bands competition on the night - good effort seeing as over 100 acts entered originally, and £2K in their pocket that they're buying studio time with. They're actually very good. The other guitarist tours Europe with a prog act called Sithu Aye, and has an endorsement with Sandberg Guitars. Elements of Pallas, Haken, stuff like that in their sound. If they pull their fingers out they could do very well.

With those kind of influences, I'm sold already!!

Umm.... last band I saw was my mate's classic rock band Loco, in Tyack's Hotel, Camborne.

The last 'name' band I saw was Saxon at Falmouth Pavilions probably 4 or 5 years ago....

Dave Bickler (ex-Survivor singer and the voice of 'Eye Of The Tiger) at The Garage in London last night. Lots of melodic rock classics with a backing band made up of members of Son Of Man, FM, Buck & Evans and my own 'Leather & Lace'. His voice was pretty good after all these years and he seemed a splendid chap when I met him afterwards :)

• Like 1

So, I went to the ‘Thunder thumbs - Celebrating The Music Of Louis Johnson’ gig, last Friday and I’m pleased to report that it was as funky as a monkey, wearing funky trousers. The band were as tight as a gnat’s chuff and Phil Mulford’s playing was par excellence. I had expected an awful lot of clattery slapping and popping (think any bass show/exhibition you’ve ever been to) but no, the eq was set so that it didn’t become a clatterfest,  just really solid, chest thumping bass. I saw another member of the BC family there, one @Nickytwister, who seemed to be really enjoying it (Nick is no slouch himself when it comes to funking it up). If you get a chance to see this show, take it, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

• Like 1

The last 'proper' gig I went to (bought a ticket and everything) was Victor Wooten Trio @ Ronnie Scotts, in October last year. Off to see Jeff Lorber Fusion (Ronnies again) with Jimmy Haslip on bass in April. That's one back-to-front-upside-down player that blows me away!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yamato Japanese drummers at the Peacock Theatre London last night.

Not seen anything like it before and it was a wonderful experience.

They’re on a run at the theatre until 31st March, so if you fancy a bombardment of the senses along with a bit of fun (and can broadly clap in time, should you wish to join in at all!) then there are worse ways in which to spend an evening...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadaiko_Yamato 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paddy109 said:

I watched The Idles being supported by The Crows last night in Cardiff’s Tramshed.

Two excellent bands that put on a great show.

🙂

Good venue? I've got tickets for Phil Campbell there in November - he should be good on home turf!

Just now, Stub Mandrel said:

🙂

Good venue? I've got tickets for Phil Campbell there in November - he should be good on home turf!

I thought it was a great venue and sound. Absolutely rammed!

There is a little bar upstairs that was hardly used.

• Thanks 1