Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

I first saw Theatre of Hate at The Rainbow on the 11th April 1981, in fact here’s the poster...

7E20C45E-7F28-4E8F-B585-1731E40546D2.jpeg

...three quid for five bands! The second time was this evening in Southend, they were excellent. Kirk Brandon’s voice was as strong and as high as it was thirty seven years ago, I was mighty impressed. Stan Stammers’ bass rig here, apologies for the pic, blue light innit.

D39C06FA-8217-4FA8-9BDC-8CA05E6C196A.jpeg

7B468314-EA08-4FB3-9F63-81B449D4402B.jpeg

A great night.

Edited by Frank Blank

Saw the fabulous Kate Bush tribute 'Cloudbusting' last night at the Half Moon in Putney with the wonderful original Kate Bush bassist/engineer Del Palmer guesting on bass! Beautiful, emotional music.... sublime basslines...... just perfect!

20181216_210400.jpg

20181216_213018.jpg

20181216_221930.jpg

Edited by cetera
  • Like 1

On 14/12/2018 at 10:28, cetera said:

Yep, those freebies can be very persuasive ;)

They would have to be for me, had to avert my gaze from the bass player when the buzzard came out. They look bad enough in photo's but in real life... yuck. Each to their own I guess.

Edited by KevB

Jools Holland Big Band on Thursday. Sublime stride and Honky Tonk piano, and Ruby Turner was as usual wonderful. The only blot on the proceedings? Marc Almond. The man can not sing, he could not carry a song in a bucket. What Jools sees in him is a mystery that has so far escaped me. Good gig apart from that.

Just back from seeing Kyla Brox and her excellent band and a carrousel of stunning guests at the BlueFunk Rhythm & Blues Club. Kyla quite rightly won the UK blues challenge this year, and this was a fundraiser for the band's costs to travel to the European and international blues challenges next year. 

(Crowdfunder link here)

I'm incredibly lucky that Kyla and her legendary dad, Victor Brox, are local to me, I've seen them both many times, in tiny pubs as well as at the major blues festivals, solo / duo / full band, but this was something else. BlueFunk have a regular, very knowledgeable and appreciative audience, and we all knew that even by their very high standards this was something very special. Every time you thought it couldn't get better it did. Danny Blomeley on bass (Fender P) seemed a bit off his best at first, but by the end of the evening was back to his wonderful bubbly walking lines and huge dynamic range but always right for the mix. 

I'd honestly rate tonight higher than seeing Janis Joplin live in 1970. 

• 2 weeks later...

Emergency Exit - a female fronted punk covers band at our Harley Rally in Aviemore this year.

I'm not generally a punk music fan but these guys were so good with so much energy in the songs. 

Its amazing how many punk songs i remembered liking back in late 70's / 80's

And i was stone cold sober too so no excuses. :laugh1:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

19 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Gukp. It's thirty seven years since I saw Subhumans, brings joy to my heart that they are still going.

I still think of them as a local band. When I moved to High Wycombe from Trowbridge in the 80s there was a garage with Subhumans graffiti'd on the side which always made me think of home :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Gulp. It's thirty seven years since I saw Subhumans, brings joy to my heart that they are still going.

It's about 38 years since I started listening to them, always been on rotation on whichever was the device of the day. Always found them to be tidy guys too.

1 minute ago, Frank Blank said:

I never owned any of their records but saw them a few times.

Got to be honest I've lost count how many times I've seen them now, but I've never seen them do a bad set, not bad for a band that doesn't practice together any more.

Seen Def leppard with Cheap Trick supporting at the Glasgow Hydro. Both bands were superb and I can honestly say, the sound was the best I have ever heard in a stadium gig. Maybe it was because we had good seats. I bought them for the Mrs, as a present. Actually, a birthday present that ended up being a Valentines present as I couldn't keep it secret any longer. Great gig!

• 1 month later...

Matt Bianco last Friday at Islington Assembly Hall.  Fantastic.  He does it all with a jazz band now - EUB (what a player!), trumpet, sax, piano, drums (what a drummer!).  All those Latin rhythms of his early stuff translate so well to how he now performs them.

Earlier in the week I saw Tears for Fears at the O2 Arena, supported by Alison Moyet.  Both were disappointing.  I saw TFF when Songs From The Big Chair was released and they were monumental.  Now not so good - Curt's voice - always thin - was unacceptably weedy.  Roland still had that marvellous quality about his singing but lacked the power of the old days.  The backing singer wasn't up to Woman In Chains - not her fault - but absolutely smashed Bad Man Song which was the pick of the night for me.  I guess without a reference point from that earlier period it would have been considered a good gig but, having seen them at their peak, I felt as though it failed to come up to the mark.

Alison Moyet sounds great - she can still sing - but the sound was terrible - too loud and distorted.  The arrangements of the songs were stripped back for keys/drums/her and only the early Yazoo stuff sounded good - Don't Go was the pick but everything else was toilet break material.  Plus the keys/occasional bass sang BV and was awful. 

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

Matt Bianco last Friday at Islington Assembly Hall.  Fantastic.  He does it all with a jazz band now - EUB (what a player!), trumpet, sax, piano, drums (what a drummer!).  All those Latin rhythms of his early stuff translate so well to how he now performs them.

Earlier in the week I saw Tears for Fears at the O2 Arena, supported by Alison Moyet.  Both were disappointing.  I saw TFF when Songs From The Big Chair was released and they were monumental.  Now not so good - Curt's voice - always thin - was unacceptably weedy.  Roland still had that marvellous quality about his singing but lacked the power of the old days.  The backing singer wasn't up to Woman In Chains - not her fault - but absolutely smashed Bad Man Song which was the pick of the night for me.  I guess without a reference point from that earlier period it would have been considered a good gig but, having seen them at their peak, I felt as though it failed to come up to the mark.

Alison Moyet sounds great - she can still sing - but the sound was terrible - too loud and distorted.  The arrangements of the songs were stripped back for keys/drums/her and only the early Yazoo stuff sounded good - Don't Go was the pick but everything else was toilet break material.  Plus the keys/occasional bass sang BV and was awful. 

I think it’s really poor that these artists charge top dollar for their concerts and perform as described above by Paul S, an absolute rip off, no wonder tribute acts are doing so well, when they are now often better than the original acts that cant cut it anymore.

19 minutes ago, steantval said:

I think it’s really poor that these artists charge top dollar for their concerts and perform as described above by Paul S, an absolute rip off, no wonder tribute acts are doing so well, when they are now often better than the original acts that cant cut it anymore.

We went to see the Mission a while back. They were great but they were supported by Peter Murphy. I was so looking forward to seeing him but he appeared with an acoustic guitarist and a violinist. It was rotten and he behaved like a spoiled brat. He thrashed an acoustic , then next song started and stopped the song, took off the guitar and shouted this effin guitar is out of tune and threw it away. I felt sorry for the roadie as it was Murphy that had put the damned thing out of tune. The whole sound was weak and thin. A real legend went down in my estimation that night. 

12 minutes ago, ubit said:

We went to see the Mission a while back. They were great but they were supported by Peter Murphy. I was so looking forward to seeing him but he appeared with an acoustic guitarist and a violinist. It was rotten and he behaved like a spoiled brat. He thrashed an acoustic , then next song started and stopped the song, took off the guitar and shouted this effin guitar is out of tune and threw it away. I felt sorry for the roadie as it was Murphy that had put the damned thing out of tune. The whole sound was weak and thin. A real legend went down in my estimation that night. 

yeah...er...Pete seems to be having a few, ahem, issues of late

https://www.nme.com/news/former-bauhaus-frontman-peter-murphy-kicked-gig-sweden-2420367

43 minutes ago, ubit said:

Pete Murphy has always been that way, your full on prima donna right there, mind you, saying that, some Bauhaus gigs around the time of Mask were some of the best I’ve ever seen.