Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

I was at Prohibition in Gateshead last night to see "Radio Pensecola". Fabulous. Superb musicians playing stuff from the 20s, 30s and 40s, think Cole Porter, Cab Calloway, Bessie Smith etc. A real fun night with audience participation. The bass player was superb, a guy called Ron Smith, If you get the chance to see them do it, If only to see Mr Smith play bass.

Edited by mikel
Spelling.
  • Like 1

St. Paul & The Broken Bones. I had looked forward to this for so long but on the night found them to be pretty boring. A whole show without a change of pace.

All excellent musicians and as tight as two coats of paint but apart from a trombone solo there was no highlight.

A shame when a gig disappoints.

Saw Snow Boy and The Latin Section last night. Fabulous. If you like Latin/Cuban/Afro stuff you must see these. Drums, congas, bongos, Sax, Trumpet, Trombone, Bass and Keys making a joyful sound. Best gig I've been to in ages, not least because it's such an unusual style.

14 hours ago, NoRhino said:

St. Paul & The Broken Bones. I had looked forward to this for so long but on the night found them to be pretty boring. A whole show without a change of pace.

All excellent musicians and as tight as two coats of paint but apart from a trombone solo there was no highlight.

A shame when a gig disappoints.

How strange  - I saw them in Manchester a couple of years ago and they were very good. Wonder what’s happened?

On 23/11/2018 at 11:01, franzbassist said:

Rumours of Fleetwood Mac, withour very own @Etienne on bass.  Very good they were too :)

Blimey, I used to do all their merchandise printing years ago. Saw them loads. (free passes) Never once disappointed with the show.  Dave and Alan were the Merseybeats long ago. A great evenings entertainment.

Edited by leschirons

Pitchshifter at the Garage on Friday night.  Haven't seen them for close to 20 years.  Superb gig - full of energy, playing an excellent collection of songs, and the singer is a brilliant frontman. Aided on one song by Mikey from Sikth

Excellent bass sound - crisp, full and dirty, and very present in the mix.  Finished with Genius, great song led by the bass.

Loved it

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mikel said:

One thing strikes me about this thread, and  also my own posts, the lack of almost any bands mentioned that have been playing less than 20 years. Are there no bass players on here under the age of 50? Are there no new(ish) bands worth going to watch?

Just because someone may be 50+ doesn't mean they won't appreciate a new young band. Maybe, there aren't any worth seeing at present or, maybe there are, but none within sensible travelling distance to make it viable.

28 minutes ago, mikel said:

One thing strikes me about this thread, and  also my own posts, the lack of almost any bands mentioned that have been playing less than 20 years. Are there no bass players on here under the age of 50? 

Well, I am over 50 and I mentioned going to see Royal Blood who have been going for 5 years now, if that helps.

Mrs S and I had a bit of a rethink for 2018 and we went to just 12 gigs.  2017 we went to 25, same in 2016 and beyond.  The historical difference was travelling long distances to smaller venues 'taking a punt' to see what bands were like and invariably leaving early or walking out feeling disappointed.  A big shame for us was the Brooklyn Bowl at the O2 Greenwich closing as that was an easy travel and we got to see lots of interesting bands there.  If they weren't so good, well we had a nice dinner and it was only an hour door to door.

Age and young bands - I am 61, I guess the 'youngest' band I have seen and enjoyed this year was the Brothers Osbourne.  For me age/genre are immaterial - there is music I like and music I don't like.

• Like 1

Caught Bring Me The Horizon at the Leeds Direct Arena on Saturday night. They put on a great show that was dampened only by the fact I had foam earplugs which drained most of the sound of everything away, and not in a good way. It was also great to see another band embrace the silent stage philosophy - not an amp or cab on stage, just the guys (well, a couple of pedal boards and acoustic drums obviously). The stage was also a metal grid affair with a range of lights underneath, as well as some CO2, confetti and streamer cannons for good measure. I thought it was a great show!

YouTube link for the opening show and first song: 

Saw a new band, Piroshka, at the Lexington in Islington last night. New as in only formed a few months ago. But it's more a post-punk/shoegaze supergroup (hello, is there anyone still reading?!) made up of former members of Moose, Lush, Elastica and Modern English. Given that it was their first ever gig, bar a warm-up at the weekend, it was a really great evening. The band really seemed to gel well and, given that all the material was new, the audience really got into it.

On the subject of the band, Michael Conroy, previously bass player in Modern English, really impressed. He plays a lot of notes, it has to be said. But never more than the song required. I will probably seek out more of his earlier stuff. Had a quick search on here and couldn't find any reference to him so maybe check out his work. 

20181127_212805.jpg

2 hours ago, AdrianP said:

Saw a new band, Piroshka, at the Lexington in Islington last night. New as in only formed a few months ago. But it's more a post-punk/shoegaze supergroup (hello, is there anyone still reading?!) made up of former members of Moose, Lush, Elastica and Modern English. Given that it was their first ever gig, bar a warm-up at the weekend, it was a really great evening. The band really seemed to gel well and, given that all the material was new, the audience really got into it.

On the subject of the band, Michael Conroy, previously bass player in Modern English, really impressed. He plays a lot of notes, it has to be said. But never more than the song required. I will probably seek out more of his earlier stuff. Had a quick search on here and couldn't find any reference to him so maybe check out his work. 

20181127_212805.jpg

I saw Modern English on several occasions back in the 80s, for a short while they appeared to be the default support for a few bands I went to see, notably Japan. I still listen to Mesh & Lace and After The Snow, an interesting and peculiar band.

On 25/11/2018 at 10:15, mikel said:

One thing strikes me about this thread, and  also my own posts, the lack of almost any bands mentioned that have been playing less than 20 years. Are there no bass players on here under the age of 50? Are there no new(ish) bands worth going to watch?

Despite my being part of the half-century+ demographic, one of the bands I've seen this month (twice, in fact!) is Lifesigns, who are relatively new - their first album was released in 2013 and they've only been gigging since 2014.

Not sure though if they count, being not-exactly youngsters themselves - their bassist (the delightfully batsh!t Random Jon Poole) is their youngest member at 49! I do think though, a perfect example of the irrelevance of age in music & creative arts, IMO Lifesigns are by far the best new(ish) band I've heard in years, and quite joyous (not to mention hilarious) live.

Edited by Bassassin
excessively opinionated.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a family outing last night to Nightwish at Wembley Arena. Not normally my favourite venue, the sound is never good. Last night was very different and was  some of the best sound I have ever heard at a gig. Oodles of lovely Warwick bass tone from Marco Hietala and a vocal performance from Floor Jansen that left my Wife who is a professional singing teacher speechless. Bloody marvellous.

Cheap Trick. They were supporting Def Leppard but we didn't hang around for them. 

Last time I saw them, in 1986, they were supporting Motley Crue but I didn't hang around for them either 😆

Last night I saw Dan Baird & Homemade Sin. The support was Joe Blanton backed by DB & HMS, so they played 45 mins then after a 15 minute break came on and did another 2 hours.

Cheap Trick and Def Leppard for me too, on Saturday. I did hang around for Def Leppard and though not a particularly big fan they put on a terrific show technically, excellent lightshow and background projections. Well done to the techs putting this on for the band. Cheap Trick showing their age (arent we all?) but still a good performance. They work better in a smaller club envireonment though.