Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

14 minutes ago, visog said:

King Crimson (all 8 of them)! With the mighty Tony Levin on bass.

Jolly good. Well done to everyone involved...

Glad you enjoyed it.

I walked out of Crimson at half time. Cacophonous and dreary ...possibly due to three full drum kits. Two too many IMO.

Wouldn't life be boring if we all thought the same?!😁

7 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

Glad you enjoyed it.

I walked out of Crimson at half time. Cacophonous and dreary ...possibly due to three full drum kits. Two too many IMO.

Wouldn't life be boring if we all thought the same?!😁

Not sure that was a great move... you missed the hits which I won't share in case people want to be surprised.Yes it was cacophonous - gloriously, intensely. You say, 'dreary'... I say, 'joyous'. There were actually four drummers but Bill Rieflin is now backline and played keyboards.

I was there too. Not something I'd play at home on cd, or go to see every week, but powerful and impressive live imho. Watching how tightly the three drummers were working together was worth the ticket in itself. The setlist was a well constructed balance of older and newer material, and the sound - well you expect prog to be a bit grandiose and sprawling, and to keep structure and discipline as they did is a lot harder than it sounds. 

The first ten minutes were all drums, so anyone who left at that point missed hearing five excellent musicians. 

Does anyone know what Tony Levin was playing that looked like just the neck of a bass? 

3 hours ago, josie said:

Does anyone know what Tony Levin was playing that looked like just the neck of a bass? 

Hmmn, you could be referring to either his Ned Steinberger upright or his Chapman stick. (He also played his MusicMan Stingray 5 - it looked like one of the new ones with a roasted neck.)

• Thanks 1

Obituary, Anthrax, Lamb of god and Slayer at the Manchester Arena. 

Anthrax were (as always) on top form and tight as!

Lamb of god were brilliant at performing, but not all that entertaining.

Slayer were all SSSLLLLLLAAAAAYYYYYEEEERRRRR!!!!! and stuff. Awesome.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Killing Joke currently on stage at UEA Norwich. I beat a personal best this evening walking out after a song and a half...

71881BDE-6022-4C83-BD74-12ABECF8C7C7.jpeg

that's a harsh review!

I'm off to see them at the Roundhouse on Saturday - any particular reason for your early exit?  I wasn't planning on drinking excessively beforehand but perhaps i need to reconsider (though I was listening to the CD of their Berlin gig on the way to work and that seems fine four or five songs in...well, Jaz's vocals aren't the best I've ever heard but the band seems to be on form otherwise)

Did you catch Turbowolf?  I must have seen them before as they seem to play every festival I go to, but I have no memory of what they are like

I walked into the venue about five mins before KJ took the stage so I’m afraid I missed Turbowolf. Well there were a few reasons for my harshness, mostly it was the dreadful, dreadful quality of the sound, just a muddy dirge, no clarity or articulation at all, you could barely discern notes on the bass. Geordie’s once magnificent guitar sound now sounds like a reedy goose fart, thin and watery. It felt like they were just going through the motions. They don’t rehearse for tours, haven’t for years and frankly it shows. Jaz’s voice was on the verge of disappearing, he was really struggling especially with higher notes, this is understandable after touring but along with all the rest it was just awful. I have longer standing issues with them live, same old underehearsed set of songs played with no passion. I’ve walked out of the last two gigs before this but yesterday was the last straw, I’ll not go again. 

Edited by Frank Blank

18 hours ago, kevin_lindsay said:

King Crimson at Edinburgh Playhouse on Tuesday 13th November 

Loved it!! 

Aw they were ace... 49-year old songs never sounded fresher! Awesome gig. Bit melancholic that there's nothing similar to go see now... Love my '70s Yes but not convinced by either line-up. My favourite drummers have retired: Bill Bruford/ and Neil Peart. John McLaughlin's all but retired. My favourite bassist/singers: Squire, Wetton & Lake have passed away. And I think Ed Sheeran is pants. What's a prog fan to do? And don't say anything northern-European...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, visog said:

What's a prog fan to do? And don't say anything northern-European...

Marillion are still powerful live (including the light show). New material but true to the genre. And intense audience rapport. 

Dan reed network last night , excellent show from a very talented bunch, support from Hollowstar and Mason Hill.

the sound was half decent, it’s the first I have attended using ACS ear plugs and I think I may have to have a different filter in them , while the clarity of the sound was fine , it just seemed a bit quiet :D

it was an odd sensation, feeling the bass drum kick me in the guts yet hearing the volume at 3 when it should have been 11 :D

Killing Joke at the Roundhouse on Saturday night.

Missed all the support due to the need to drink beer, but made it in time for KJ, where we bumped into a bandmate who was on the guest list (but had the same crappy upstairs seats us us).

Sound was OK, if not brilliant, but KJ were on great form.  Possibly because it was the last night of the tour they stuck pretty much with the greatest hits setlist.

Bass wise - Youth made a horribly mushy, indistinct sound from where we were sitting, messing up one clear solo bass part from the last album by using a wah that took away all the sharpness of the notes and added to the already present mushiness.  May have been a problem due to our location, but overall there was just a low bass noise rather than being able to tell what was being played.

However, Big Paul was on it completely - great performance from him, and I noticed him correcting the timing where the rest of the band were all drifting off tempo during one of the earlier songs. Jaz got better as the night progressed too.

Not the best gig of theirs I've been to, but still a good night

8 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

Killing Joke at the Roundhouse on Saturday night.

Sound was OK, if not brilliant, but KJ were on great form.  Possibly because it was the last night of the tour they stuck pretty much with the greatest hits setlist.

This ‘greatest hits setlist’ is one of their problems imho, I just want to hear some variation.

Bass wise - Youth made a horribly mushy, indistinct sound from where we were sitting, messing up one clear solo bass part from the last album by using a wah that took away all the sharpness of the notes and added to the already present mushiness.  May have been a problem due to our location, but overall there was just a low bass noise rather than being able to tell what was being played.

Exactly what I experienced bass wise at Norwich.

However, Big Paul was on it completely - great performance from him, and I noticed him correcting the timing where the rest of the band were all drifting off tempo during one of the earlier songs. Jaz got better as the night progressed too.

Great to hear, one thing you can guarantee from KJ is Big Paul’s drumming. Perhaps I should have hung on in Norwich until Jaz got into his stride.

Not the best gig of theirs I've been to, but still a good night

Glad you enjoyed it.

TC +I featuring the incredible Colin Moulding in Swindon on Sunday night for me.

Absolutely superb - Moulding still plays like an Alt-Rock McCartney and Terry Chambers still whacks the kit with gusto and aplomb. The rest of the band ain't too shabby, neither.