Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

Went to see Chatham County Line last night at The Met in Bury. Superb bluegrass band from North Carolina, amazing musicianship and stunning vocals. Upright bass sounded fantastic, played by Greg Readling. Brilliant venue too, first time I've been.

43950580_10155831463793807_1465463757885931520_n.jpg

• Like 1

Wolfgang Flur, (ex Kraftwerk) last Friday night, in a small club in Cardiff
He's now over 70, but still full of energy (more movement / dancing than he did in Kraftwerk)
Great songs & accompanying videos, met him afterwards for a signed CD + poster. Nice fella too :)

• Like 2

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 17:07, Graham said:

Weekend before last, they did a free show at a tiny venue in London, was very tempted to, but couldn't leave the wife to deal with the children on her own whilst I spent the entire day queuing for a ticket.

Any idea who's on bass now Todd Strange has left again?

A chap called Shane Wesley. I see them at the borderline 2 weeks ago he was using a Fender P through a marshall stack thing it sounded monsterous

• Like 1

Jeff Lynne's ELO at London O2 Arena last night! Wonderful songs, fantastic musicians and vocals, stunning light show and an atmosphere of smiley, happy people singing along..... oh, and my 'young at heart' Mum by my side enjoying very minute. Precious moments for sure :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, christhammer666 said:

A chap called Shane Wesley. I see them at the borderline 2 weeks ago he was using a Fender P through a marshall stack thing it sounded monsterous

I saw a photo on their Facebook page recently, I've never been wild about black P basses, but that one with the pearloid plate looked awesome, bet it sounded epic too

4 hours ago, Marc S said:

He's now over 70, but still full of energy (more movement / dancing than he did in Kraftwerk)
Great songs & accompanying videos, met him afterwards for a signed CD + poster. Nice fella too :)

Yer actual leg end, there.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Marc S said:

He has been a guest on the Radcliffe and Maconie show on 6Music - a really entertaining and funny man.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, casapete said:

Went to see Chatham County Line last night at The Met in Bury. Superb bluegrass band from North Carolina, amazing musicianship and stunning vocals. Upright bass sounded fantastic, played by Greg Readling. Brilliant venue too, first time I've been.

43950580_10155831463793807_1465463757885931520_n.jpg

Lucky you, they are amazing live!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Yer actual leg end, there.

Yes, I know. Of course, Kraftwerk didn't "invent" electronic music - far from it. They were among other German bands pioneering the Genre, bands like Tangerine Dream
But for me, Kraftwerk were among the first, if not the first to make electronic music more dance-able, more pop orientated. So many bands, even bands whose style is / was so very different from one another, cite Kraftwerk as a major influence. What I liked as much as anything was that although he's in his 70's he's clearly still experimenting and exploring music and sounds, and he so obviously enjoyed playing that gig. And there were less than 200 in the crowd (It's a small room, in a club with several bars and venues within the same club).

His book was for sale on the Merch stand, but I went for the poster and CD album. As soon as I left the venue, I was thinking I should have got a copy of the book.
I will make sure I get myself a copy in the near future - thanks for letting me know you liked the book Frank Blank :)

Edited by Marc S

15 minutes ago, Marc S said:

Yes, I know. Of course, Kraftwerk didn't "invent" electronic music - far from it. They were among other German bands pioneering the Genre, bands like Tangerine Dream
But for me, Kraftwerk were among the first, if not the first to make electronic music more dance-able, more pop orientated. So many bands, even bands whose style is / was so very different from one another, cite Kraftwerk as a major influence. What I liked as much as anything was that although he's in his 70's he's clearly still experimenting and exploring music and sounds, and he so obviously enjoyed playing that gig. And there were less than 200 in the crowd (It's a small room, in a club with several bars and venues within the same club).

His book was for sale on the Merch stand, but I went for the poster and CD album. As soon as I left the venue, I was thinking I should have got a copy of the book.
I will make sure I get myself a copy in the near future - thanks for letting me know you liked the book Frank Blank :)

I was driving a band (who shall remain nameless) to the Tribal Gathering festival in 1997 and having settled the band at their tent I wandered into the backstage restaurant tent to be confronted by an entirely empty set of tables apart from one with Kraftwerk sitting around it. I went up to the counter, the chef was one I’d seen at a few festivals, “Kraftwerk over there, you don’t see that every day” he quipped. I was flabbergasted as I love (always have, always will) Kraftwerk, “I haven’t got a pen, or anything to get them to sign” I spluttered “Here’s a marker, get then to sign your T-shirt.” I marched back towards them clutching my marker pen but I bottled it and just stood there listening to them chatting and laughing.

• Like 1

Last night... ANGEL (70's early 80's USA pomp rock) or at least 2 of the main guys!  

Surreal to say the least; a band that in its heyday were playing USA stadiums as prodigies of KISS, with Frank Zappa writing (ridiculing) a song about the guitarist Punky Meadows... and there they were playing in my local rock bar (UK/Newcastle) to 100 fans.    

image.jpeg.4b9de3ffe2c8dc6aaf92ae9f669fd660.jpeg

• Like 1

Over a week ago now, but I went to see Editors at the O2 Guildhall Southampton. Absolutely brilliant, loved it. My wife and I managed to get near the front, about 4 from the stage, so a good view. Some bods grumbled the sound wasn’t that good ( on Social Media), but I thought it was ok. I could hear Tom Smith singing perfectly well. The guitars got a little lost in some songs but nothing major.

I thought they played a belter

Edited by Marvin

13 hours ago, cetera said:

Jeff Lynne's ELO at London O2 Arena last night! Wonderful songs, fantastic musicians and vocals, stunning light show and an atmosphere of smiley, happy people singing along..... oh, and my 'young at heart' Mum by my side enjoying very minute. Precious moments for sure :)

Was there as well. Just brilliant arrangements, sound and musicianship. 

• Like 1

Almost a week gone by since we went to see Nearly Dan at the Stables, Milton Keynes. Great gig (as always) tinged with sadness at the recent loss of Pete Bacanin. I'm really not a 'tribute' band person, but knowing that the very slight chance of seeing the real thing would undoubtedly mean some atrocious massive venue, I'm more than happy to watch superb musicianship in the fabulous comfort and acoustics and viewing experience offered at The Stables. Highly recommended if you get the chance.

Just saw the Go Go Cult at a local pub, great bass sound from a little Fender combo on a chair and a little Fender bass with a skull hanging off the headstock. I was well disposed to their garage/rockabilly but when the singer ended their set with the words, “See you laters, desecrators...” excellent. It was nice to get some dB down me lug ‘oles.

562B19C1-FA9D-4A42-B4CA-B9C6B974692C.jpeg

Went to the Amersham 'Rock n Roll Club' last night, 3 bands, Edison Lighthouse, the Foundations, and a band I’d not heard of, from Northants, the John Burrows Band.

The first two had original members still playing, and were fine, but TBH no better than they should be: for me though the best band was the support, particularly their lead singist, Adam Whitmee.  A young bloke in his 20s, alongside shall we say more mature (as in 40 years older!) colleagues.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thrilled to finally see my fave bassist/singer Peter Cetera (ex-Chicago) last night at the Barbican in London! Front row centre seats AND I met him after! It doesn't get better than that....!!!

74 years old and still has his amazing tenor voice intact...... and he played a fantastic set list of classic Chicago and his solo hits. Textbook!!!

• Like 2

On 19/10/2018 at 20:53, CyberBass said:

Toots and the Maytals at the O2 Bristol on weds night. Support band were good but Toots was great, was a memorable night.

Toots band were not sympathetic, I thought. Too slickly jazz funk - would have liked to see him front Captain Accident (support)!

But what do I know? I paid £62 to see King Crimson last night and walked out at half time!