Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

32 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

At Angola 76 a food and drink venue in Shaftsbury watching Bowie Fashion a Bowie tribute act. Really good, great sound and playing by all. Bassist has a 5 string Status and a Markbass rig.....Oh dear, Bassist has switched on his led fret markers for the second set.........

I was talking to them a few years ago when they were looking for a bass player, but sadly they got one just when I decided to go for it. Probably just as well, I don't have led fret markers. Or a status :)

13 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I was talking to them a few years ago when they were looking for a bass player, but sadly they got one just when I decided to go for it. Probably just as well, I don't have led fret markers. Or a status :)

It gets worse the guitar has just switched his on too for the last song!

• Haha 2

John Prine, Jerry Douglas, Amanda Shires, John Paul White, Lilly Hiatt, Lucie Silvas highlights among many others at Americanafest in Nashville last week. My son and his family live there and I only went to see the grandsprogs honest 🙂 

Best imho was Lucie Silvas - I know her earlier soft sweet stuff, she's much stronger rock now and her voice (and stage show) is completely up to it. 

If you're into country / Americana also check out Southern Avenue (strong dynamic black woman lead singer) and Angela Perley and the Howlin' Wolves (tight through a stunning dynamic range). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, josie said:

John Prine, Jerry Douglas, Amanda Shires, John Paul White, Lilly Hiatt, Lucie Silvas highlights among many others at Americanafest in Nashville last week. My son and his family live there and I only went to see the grandsprogs honest 🙂 

Best imho was Lucie Silvas - I know her earlier soft sweet stuff, she's much stronger rock now and her voice (and stage show) is completely up to it. 

If you're into country / Americana also check out Southern Avenue (strong dynamic black woman lead singer) and Angela Perley and the Howlin' Wolves (tight through a stunning dynamic range). 

That's some line-up!

On 20/09/2018 at 15:12, Lozz196 said:

Last band I went to see was The Last Resort in Bedford a couple of weeks back. And very nicely too we are playing on the same bill as them this Saturday, at The Fleece in Bristol,

My favourite band & I've had the pleasure of sharing the bill with them & becoming mates with them. Saturdays gig is a great line up, hope it goes well mate.

Sons of Apollo in glasgow last night.  Such a joy to watch Mike Portnoy. He should be in every band.  Same volume as Motherwell but the Garage is a smaller venue so it was loud as flip!. Once again Billy Sheehan bored me rigid with his tuneless solo and crap overdriven tone.  He's so much less distorted on the album. Jeff Scott Soto's voice just gets better and I think Ron 'bumblefoot' thal must be this years big discovery for me - so much humour in his playing.  incidentally, Billy didn't look well all night and he seemed to be vocalising his basslines.

The support band were appalling - Schiermann.  Seemed to be a vehicle for the guitarist's petrucci styled nonsense with a couple of pick up musicians (bass and drums). Couldn't make out anything the bassist was playing.

Peter Hook and the Light in Glasgow last night. 

He's not the best singer, he can't sing and play bass at the same time but it was a great show. Very rowdy crowd-pleasing encore. They seem to have got a job-lot of new Yamaha basses too. 

Blonde backing singer (Mica Millar) was a pleasant distraction and - a new one on me - SWG3 venue is pretty good too. 

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 17:21, Jonny Boots said:

My favourite band & I've had the pleasure of sharing the bill with them & becoming mates with them. Saturdays gig is a great line up, hope it goes well mate.

Cheers mate, it was a great gig and likewise they`re one of my fave bands - Lars couldn't make it so Beefy was on guitar and he looked like he thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, doomed said:

Crowbar, in Cardiff Saturday.

IMG_20180930_143830_455.jpg

Weekend before last, they did a free show at a tiny venue in London, was very tempted to, but couldn't leave the wife to deal with the children on her own whilst I spent the entire day queuing for a ticket.

Any idea who's on bass now Todd Strange has left again?

25 minutes ago, Graham said:

Weekend before last, they did a free show at a tiny venue in London, was very tempted to, but couldn't leave the wife to deal with the children on her own whilst I spent the entire day queuing for a ticket.

Any idea who's on bass now Todd Strange has left again?

Shane Wesley is touring bassist now, and doing a great job too.

• Like 1

On 01/10/2018 at 15:11, Lozz196 said:

Cheers mate, it was a great gig and likewise they`re one of my fave bands - Lars couldn't make it so Beefy was on guitar and he looked like he thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yeah I was chatting with Lars & he said he couldn't make it but is here now to record a new album. Chatting with Beefy he is really missing it & may make a return, who knows they may become a 5 piece 😉

The MK gang last night at Manchester Opera House...

Decent gig, seen them loads so no surprises really, apart from “Heathrow” and the New Status T-Basses meaning MK sounded like a bass player rather than a percussionist.

Very odd sound to the vocals - processed, like an odd eq setting or compression.

9C8FB29C-9B96-41D2-8450-6BC9F750D7C3.jpeg

31068F21-A034-413E-82C3-6DBBE4FFA845.jpeg

On 25/09/2018 at 10:56, KevB said:

Triple bill last Friday of Those Damn Crows, Federal Charm and Bad Flowers all for about £12 a ticket. Solid modern blues rock, Bad Flowers are def worth a look if you see them listed as a support band on a bigger tour sometime.

+1 on Bad Flowers, seen ‘em in Birmingham a few times around 5/6 years ago. I think they were called Greenwood Park back then, always put on a decent set though.

I went to see Elder in Cov last night, 4th or 5th time I’ve seen them and they just keep getting better and better! Just mesmerising to watch, can’t get enough of them!

Just back from a couple of days in London which included seeing the totally wonderful Natalie Williams and Soul Family at Ronnie Scotts.

Musicianship at it's very best all round, and Rob Mullarkey is really just about the finest bass player you could ever hear - an absolute master craftsman at work.

Strongly recommend you try to get to see them sometime if you can - a real night to remember - the atmosphere in the club was amazing and the band were on absolutely top form.

Simple Minds a few weeks ago. Utterly brilliant & a public apology to anyone stood close to me on the night who might have heard me (badly) singing along. To every song...... 😄

Second time i’ve seen them live, but a bit surreal seeing them play in my home town. Especially when you consider it to be that musical mecca...... Swindon!

Just got back from seeing Caro Emerald.  Tickets were a birthday present for the misses as she's a fan but have to say it was an enjoyable evening.

Band were super tight and sounded great (not a single amp on stage, not even a Marshall stack for the annoying guitarist). Jeroen Vierdag (I believe he was the bassist) was excellent playing upright , electric and keyboard bass at various points through the night.

Was most impressed by the horn section though - Sax and trumpet, loads of eneegy, in sync movement, great solo's!

IMG_20181009_211712.jpg

Edited by PJ-Bassist

Went to see musical box yesterday, the Genesis tribute act. I like genesis, although TBH, I prefer the Phil collins stuff to the Peter Gabriel stuff (who I think did far better stuff on his own), and they are more a PG era band. They do the whole album of Lamb Lies Down, which I am not bothered with as an album, but my friend really likes it and he was impressed.

All in all they are a very impressive tribute group and I did enjoy it, especially the second half where there more of the stuff I was familiar with. For my money I enjoyed Steve Hacket last year doing trick of the tail more, but then that is one of my favourite albums of all time, so not a fair comparison. 

If you like the music and the effort that goes into using all the period authentic equipment (which I don't get that much), very well worth seeing.

Ry Cooder, in the Stadschouwberg, Antwerp. 

His passion for the music and his ability to put on a great show are undiminished by the years. He even turned the stage power going off into a triumph, by playing a totally acoustic version of '13 question method' while the techs got things working again.

We're neither of us getting any younger, so this might have been the last opportunity I have to see him.

The guitarist from the folk ensemble I play in has a band called The '41 Fords - last night was their first gig and was most entertaining. 

They are a 3-piece, guitar/vocals, drums/vocals and an upright bass doing 80s and 90s covers in a kind of punk/skiffle hybrid style.