Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

Caught a Doors trib at the weekend. I'd seen them years ago but since it looks like virtually everyone except the guitarist has been replaced in the intervening years it's pretty much a new act I guess. Did a very good job and included a few songs that you don't hear too often whilst dropping some expected ones so a brownie point for bravery.

Last friday the 13th we went to the North Sea Jazz festival in Rotterdam.

Lots of good stuff but we specifically went to see Snarky Puppy with the Metropole Orchestra and Kurt Elling.

We where on the front row at both concerts and both where fantastic.

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

Ha! They are great! Thanks for this, so refreshing.

Go and see them, they get about quite a bit up and down the country, I love watching them and also watching the bass snobs in the audience when Pete cranks up, great fun watching people who've never seen them laughing at the little guy with the squier bass almost as big as he is, then watching their jaws drop as he shows them it's not what you've got it's what you can do with it 😂

Pearl Jam 17 July at the o2 arena in London - oh my, how incredible is this band, still amazing after so so many years of recording and gigging, and Jeff Ament is just too cool and too good. An epic 33 song 3 hour setlist is still giving me shivers, unfortunately no youtube video can replicate the atmosphere, here's hoping they'll be back soon

Saw Amadou & Mariam at the Galway Arts Festival on Wednesday - they were really great, both in their 60s but still loads of energy. The band were excellent - not just great players, but loads of audience interaction and generally enjoying themselves.

Not strictly "live" but I went to the 1 night only showing of Muse's "Drones" gig at my local cinema on July 12th.

On the up side; I enjoyed it and would honestly prefer to see a concert this way than pay a small fortune to be sat too far from the stage in some oversized arena.

The only disappointment was the sound quality, where it seemed that the eq was still set to emphasise speech; with the upper mids boosted - probably best for conventional movie but not for music. This made the low end seem that it needed turning up a notch or 2, - but maybe I'm biased there.😉

Edited by Krysbass

On 17/07/2018 at 10:07, doomed said:

2 Sick Monkeys, proper drum and bass 😊. Sadly it will probably be for the last time as they are calling it a day at the end of this year.

https://youtu.be/-O-h86lFtWs

I'm sure they said that when I played with them over a year ago - I wonder if they just can't bring themselves to stop. Awesome band anyway

I was at Trowbridge Festival this weekend, at Stowford farm in Farleigh Hungerford. If there's a finer location for a festival in the UK I am unaware of it.

Highlights were.. 

Amy from the Woods - mad and very funny 

The Hat Club - energetic and technical ska grooves

Mr Tea and the Minions - bouncy balkan gypsy vibes.

A welcome return to Stowford, much fun was had by all. 

Saw Steve Earle and the Dukes at Brighton Dome last week - they are dong a date in London which would have been nearer but I am away and couldn't have made it.  Mrs S had seen them last time they were over - I was away again then! - and said if we ever got the chance to see them again it would be worth it.  She was right - they were totally fabulous.

• Like 1

Blue Dot festival at Jodrell Bank last weekend. Both me and my lady were  mainly there for the science stuff  (talks by Alice Roberts, Richard Dawkins and Jim al-Kalili) but music wise we differed. She mostly enjoyed The Flaming Lips, a band whose cult status passes me by, Gary Numan and the Halle Orchestra. I was there for the Chemical Brothers, The Orb and Public Service Broadcasting. It's the best festival going IMO and the second time we've been 

• Like 1

Chelsea Wolfe and Ministry at Kentish Town Forum on Saturday. I'd have preferred to see Ms Wolfe's band play a headline gig not support, they are absolutely fantastic, 16 Psyche live is even better, my knees went soft, shivers running down my spine were immense:

And Ministry? Well that was one angry, loud, full-on anti-prettymuchflipingeverythingthat'swrongwiththeworld spectacle, two trump-like up blow-up figures on both sides of the stage with crossed swastikas, totally insane and intense crowd, band played mostly stuff from the new album - but when they revisited stuff from Psalm 69 like Just one fix or N.W.O. I was terrified that the venue will just lose the roof, walls will collapse but the pogoing and shouting from the crowd would still go on, really intense stuff, highly recommend it although not sure if they're still in the UK.

15 hours ago, BreadBin said:

That would be enough for me :heart:

I really must check out Blue Dot :)

Aye BreadBin, I cant recommend it enough. It's the only one I'll bother with from now on. I'm a bit of an AR groupie. and semi stalked her last year around the Cheltenham Science festival. She's  even better looking in the flesh! 😛

Edited by Barking Spiders

On 18/07/2018 at 15:04, christhammer666 said:

couple of weeks ago saw VOICES. sort of avant-garde black metal band from london

I really like Voices seen them a couple of times, but then David Grey is one of my favourite drummers, I like Sam Lyons work too.

I had a ticket to see Employed To Serve last night in Brighton, but the thought of driving over from Eastbourne and then standing in a small venue in this heat put me off going.