Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

A couple of weeks ago I went to the Fruits De Mer label's 10th anniversary gig in Glastonbury.  Seven bands plus a goody bag for £25,; five of the bands were good and two average.  Score :)

Edited by alyctes

Went to see the Hollywood Vampires / The Darkness / The Damned last night.

Fantastic gig, although i was surprised that the Damned were my highlight of the night. I didn't realise how 'rock' they are. i also thought they had the best sound fo the night, but they aosl only had 1 guitar so the mix was cleaner.

Although i saw the Darkness on their first tour i was disappointed with them last night. Cant stand Justin's voice any more (2nd rate Geddy IMO), but what annoyed me was the amount of guitar changes.Every song involved a guitar change, either one or both guitars, yet it all sounded the same out front. I guess they are just living the dream.

Hollywood Vampires were surprisingly good, considering i haven't listened to any of their original stuff. Johnny Depp's version of Heroes was really good. His voice is good, although bland. Enjoyed the Alice songs, loved their version of Schools out/Another brick in the wall.

Edited by dave_bass5

3 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Fantastic gig, although i was surprised that the Damned were my highlight of the night. I didn't realise how 'rock' they are. i also thought they had the best sound fo the night, but they aosl only had 1 guitar so the mix was cleaner.

Was Paul Gray playing bass?

Also saw the Stones, albeit at twickenham, on Tue, last min tickets as a surprise for my lady, who has wanted to see them for years, Seats were quite good considering.

No major pink torpedo ups that I could fathom, but as Skidder mentioned above, they are still as loose as ...😜

2018-06-19 17.33.42-1.jpg

2018-06-19 20.27.50.jpg

Just back from a full day at Buckle and Boots country music festival. Not my usual taste, but it's 15 minutes bus ride from home and the atmosphere is wonderful. Lots of peeps dressed up in cowboy boots and hats, lots of children running around laughing, everybody with big smiles on their faces. You can tell the bands love it, the musicians they bring over from Nashville all seem to be pretty much blown away by the reception they get (and by the fact that it's still light at 10:30!)

I already can't remember the names of any of the bands, but it was a fun day.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night went to see Little Steven and The Disciples of Soul at Whitley Bay Playhouse. 15 piece USA band with 5 strong brass section and 3 incredible dancing backing vocalists. 2 and a half hours of amazing songs, delivered to a capacity audience of fans. One of the best live shows I’ve seen for many years, haven’t stopped smiling yet. 😊

Went to the Hollywood Vampires. Dreadful. The Damned were great, I like everything about The Darkness except the songs, but we left after 45 minutes of Johnny Depp's w**kfest - and we only stayed that long because SWMBO had gone to the loo and got lost on the way back. Seven people onstage to remind everybody how much better the originals were done by three or four people. About as subtle as a kick in the knackers...and how can you get the wrong keyboard sound for a Doors track? And as for their 'original tracks'...pfffft...

On the upside, it wasn't as ear-bleedingly loud as the last couple of times I've been to the Manchester Arena, and the mix was a lot better. Didn't help Johnny's lot, though...I've seen better covers done down the Dog and Duck...

Sons of Apollo last night in Motherwell of all places.  Support bands were Meh!.  SoA were as excellent as the lineup suggests. Portnoy was a joy to watch as usual. Nice to see a drummer having so much fun especially with his old DT mate derek sherinian. Jeff Scott Soto was in excellent voice and handled the dream theater covers better than James Labrie has in recent years. I'd not heard or seen ron bumblefoot thal play before so it was pretty cool seeing him shredding very accurately on the fretless neck of his doubleneck guitar.  As for Billy Sheehan, I felt he was the only minor let-down of the show.  As per the last Mr Big tour, his tone was very dull, over compressed and too distorted.  Very difficult to pick him out in the band tunes and his solo spot was the usual un-musical hundred mile an hour mush. Still, A great band - I hope they go onto bigger things. 

Interesting point - my main gigging Alembic weighs just over 11 pounds and I feel like I've had lead weights hanging from my shoulder after a gig. Billy's doubleneck Yamaha weighs in at 20 pounds and he played it the whole night!  He must have solid steel shoulders. 

Our daughter, singing in the chorale at the Mogador Theatre, Paris. A revue of a century of Broadway musicals. The chorale, mostly amateurs, numbers nearly 150; they did themselves proud. We were perched right at the top of the balcony, so couldn't see the musicians, but they were spot on, as was the lighting, overall sound and choreography. A splendid time was had by all A couple of the more decent shots from our 'vantage point'...

lfCMoxX.jpg

BqPZYpx.jpg

xfwgiKf.jpg

• Like 1

Saw Jools Hollands Big Band at Hull on Sunday, the most disappointing night in decades.

The sound was abysmal, muddy and over loud, indistinct vocals, couldnt hear Mark Almond at all and even Ruby Turner was hardly audible. I know how good this band can be and I think they were probably superb as usual, just couldn't hear anything but a blast of noise.

I was going to give them the benefit of the doubt re venue acoustics etc but have since spoken to people who were at the Skegness gig on Saturday who said it was the same there.

Bitterly disappointed.

Last band I went to see was the Cody Sisters last week, 2 very talented teenage girls playing guitars, mandolins and banjos, and singing great harmony vocals, with their dad Steve on double bass. They played an excellent couple of sets of bluegrass, folk, country, and Django gypsy jazz. I was lucky to be sat a few feet away from then when they played a small gig near Bicester, which turned out to be the last of their tour as one of the girls developed a cough which prevented them from playing their final two dates before returning to Denver.

Spent quite some time talking with the family; you really couldn't find better ambassadors for the US, and for young Americans in particular. Lovely people, lovely music.

9 hours ago, Muzz said:

Went to the Hollywood Vampires. Dreadful. The Damned were great, I like everything about The Darkness except the songs, but we left after 45 minutes of Johnny Depp's w**kfest - and we only stayed that long because SWMBO had gone to the loo and got lost on the way back. Seven people onstage to remind everybody how much better the originals were done by three or four people. About as subtle as a kick in the knackers...and how can you get the wrong keyboard sound for a Doors track? And as for their 'original tracks'...pfffft...

On the upside, it wasn't as ear-bleedingly loud as the last couple of times I've been to the Manchester Arena, and the mix was a lot better. Didn't help Johnny's lot, though...I've seen better covers done down the Dog and Duck...

Totaly disagree with that, but each to his/her own (except the bit about the Damned, they were the stars of the evening).

Edited by dave_bass5

Earth, Wind & Fire last night at Bournemouth Int'l Centre.
Uplifting, positive, feel-good gig. Great tunes, grooves and vocals...... and spine shivers in the build up towards the end of 'Fantasy' :)

The Levellers and Ginger Wildheart last night at Leicester's De Montfort Hall.

The venue had the England v Croatia match showing on screens in the bar and public areas which inevitably meant Ginger played to a half-empty auditorium while many opted to watch the football (he was still brilliant tho). 

The Levellers headline set (once the football had ended) was a sort of acoustic orchestral affair, with violins and cello alongside  the usual members. 

Worked nicely on their new material as well as reworkings of their older classic stuff. 

Caught the Cure in Hyde Park on Saturday. I'm not what you'd class as a fan, but the tickets came up on the Intranet noticeboard at work, and I realised that I'd never heard a song of theirs that I didn't like so I want for it. They were really good, they generated a wonderful atmosphere, the sound was great and the stage set spectacular. 

Comedy highlight of the day was down on the little bandstand stage, where I witnessed the worst band I've ever seen in 46 years (and I've seen, and loved, some awful bands). Kaelan Mikla, an all girl, post punk, synth pop type trio. People seemed to love them, but they were hilarious.

Edited by NickD
Spelling

On 03/07/2018 at 19:30, kev b said:

Saw Jools Hollands Big Band at Hull on Sunday, the most disappointing night in decades.

The sound was abysmal, muddy and over loud, indistinct vocals, couldnt hear Mark Almond at all and even Ruby Turner was hardly audible. I know how good this band can be and I think they were probably superb as usual, just couldn't hear anything but a blast of noise.

I was going to give them the benefit of the doubt re venue acoustics etc but have since spoken to people who were at the Skegness gig on Saturday who said it was the same there.

Bitterly disappointed.

Not hearing Mark Almond, is surely a positive 😄

I went to the last day of the Once Upon a Time in the West festival yesterday, just a couple of fields over from my house!

Some good bands to be seen - SN Dubstation were particularly good - a bunch of young lads from Swindon with a lot of energy, local legends Far Cue show no signs of slowing down and a group called Monkey Bizness made a good noise, with a headless Steinberger providing deep dub basslines.

Some quality cider from our old mate Denis France of the Presshead Cider Company too!

Edited by BreadBin
Speeling