Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

Saw Skindred at Rock City in Nottingham last night. 

The real reason I went was to see Danko Jones who were on first and we’re brilliant, as always. If you like a tongue-in-cheek rock n roll power trio then they come highly recommended (by me, at least).

I couldn’t (and still can’t) name you a single Skindred song but despite this I thoroughly enjoyed their set. Decent songs, decent sound (a rarity for Rock City) and just a whole lot of fun throughout!

I don’t think I’m going to go away and listen to their music but I’d certainly see them live again.

Saw a great couple of bands on Friday 

a young band from ellesmere port , Turbulence, great music and playing but need a bit more presence , but they'll grow into that.

another bunch though not kids , Michigan from Warrington , most excellent .

both bands worth following and I will definitely catch them again 

Nerina Pallot at Thekla in Bristol.  She knows how to write a good song, and her voice and playing were excellent.  Just her on piano and a bit of guitar, with bass and drums.  Excellent sound too - first smallish venue I’ve been to for ages, and having been to a few stadium gigs recently I’d forgotten what it’s like to actually hear a bass and a kick drum rather than just a thumping mush of low end rumble.

14 minutes ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

Excellent sound too - first smallish venue I’ve been to for ages, and having been to a few stadium gigs recently I’d forgotten what it’s like to actually hear a bass and a kick drum rather than just a thumping mush of low end rumble.

The Thekla do a great job with the sound. The hold of a boat can't be the easiest environment for a sound guy. I'm continually impressed by the sound in smaller Bristol venues; Thekla, Exchange and even the Fleece.  No one has quite managed to fill the hole Paul Jocelyn left yet though.

Edited by bartelby

1 minute ago, bartelby said:

The Thekla do a great job with the sound. The hold of a boat can't be the easiest environment for a sound guy. I'm continually impressed by the sound in smaller Bristol venues; Thekla, Exchange and even the Fleece.  No one has quite managed to fill the hole Paul Jocelyn left yet though.

We arrived just as the support started.  Even they sounded great, right from the start. It was all a bit odd really! 

I'm just coming back to relatively regular gig going having been to very few since having kids - eldest is at University in Bristol so I’ve got an excuse to get over to the Bristol venues a bit more often, and friends have told me that Thekla and The Fleece usually have great sound. 

10 minutes ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

We arrived just as the support started.  Even they sounded great, right from the start. It was all a bit odd really! 

I'm just coming back to relatively regular gig going having been to very few since having kids - eldest is at University in Bristol so I’ve got an excuse to get over to the Bristol venues a bit more often, and friends have told me that Thekla and The Fleece usually have great sound. 

Bristol has such a great live music scene these days. Some times there's too much happening... But if you see Big Jeff down the front you know you're at the right gig.

OK, I’m of shall we say more mature years, so I went to the "Sensational 60s Experience" in Aylesbury on Friday evening.

Mike Pender (ex Searchers),

Mike d'Abo (Manfred Mann, but he also wrote Handbags and Gladrags, and Build me up Buttercup)

Herman's Hermits (still with the original drummer, after 54 years!)

The Fortunes (none of the originals)

Mike d'Abo brilliant, the others good, but for my money the best were New Amen Corner, who did their own set, plus being house band for the two Mikes.

Saw a covers band the other night, the P90’s, in a local pub ( Horse & Jockey ) and the bass player was playing a beautiful  Ovation bass. Using one finger on his right hand for picking and doing it very well. Bass sounded brilliant, venue isn’t much bigger than my living room, but PA was terrible. Great wee band though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ooops, I did it again.  Sorry, Pete, I meant to write Brothers Osborne - I keep on saying Johnson.  They are a new(ish) country rock band.

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Saw The Stones in Cardiff last night. Good solid show but even after all these years its nice to see they are still human - made a complete cockup of the start of Jumpin Jack Flash and Mick had to stop them and start again. However since this is a bass forum we'd better see Darryl doing his thing (this isnt my video, I was in the 'cheap' seats in the gods)😉

Edited by KevB

We have a gig tonight to which a couple of people who saw the Stones last night are coming.  Someone suggested we should drop our Stones numbers because it would be a bit of a stark comparison for those who’d seen them last night, and we wouldn’t want the band to be shown up for playing sub standard versions of the songs.  I said sod that, the Stones have had a good enough run - why should we care if we show them up 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just seen Jeff Beck at Liverpool Philharmonic.  First time seeing him live and I enjoyed the gig overall, but I felt the pa volume overpowered the venue, so that when everyone in the band was playing hard/digging in; the sound was muddy and it was impossible to pick out any individual instruments. I wish I'd brought my ear plugs as that might have helped clarify things.

The gig was bizarre in one notable respect;  from start to finish not one word was spoken to the audience whether  to introduce either songs or band members; so we came away not knowing who the vocalist or cello player were. But fortunately at least we already knew who the bassist and drummer were, so it wasn't a total mystery. 😎