Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

1 hour ago, bartelby said:

You're going to love it, unless you're one of these people who insists on crowd interaction. I've seen them before where the only words spoken were from Lou at the end of the gig... "Thanks".

But I have also seen them when they've been quite chatty. J said "Hi" at the start and "Thanks for coming" at the end. xD

Play your set, play it hard and get off. Energy levels up to 10, ‘bantz’ down to 0. 

An ethos my new band live with. Can’t stand a local band who think they’ve got something funny or interesting to say.

10 hours till pub time, can’t wait! 

Edited by Nothingman
  • Like 1

Saw Def Leppard on Sunday night at the Royal Albert Hall in aid of Teenage Cancer Trust. They were introduced by Roger Daltry.

Great gig and great seats at the front about 12 feet away from the stage so a perfect view. Probably one of the best if not the best gig I've been to.

Went to a classic rock society gig last Sat, main act was Jump supported by Haze who I hadn't seen for years. Jump remain pretty unknown and i only have a couple of albums but it was a decent gig for only £13 though the singer made a bit of a pink torpedo of himself having a rant at tribute bands 'taking all their Fri and Sat night gigs away', like its not the audiences that dictate these things. Ah well...

Just back from seeing Steven Wilson at the Royal Albert Hall. I was quite impressed, especially as I’m not totally familiar with his body of work, but I do like a bit of prog. The drum sound was brilliant, as was the playing by Craig Blundell. Nick Beggs’ playing was sadly poorly EQed (nothing new here for us bass players) but what I could hear was rather good, especially his fretless work. A good show visually too, with front and rear projections. Add to that that my chum has got us tickets in a box and it all added up to a good evening.

7 hours ago, ezbass said:

Nick Beggs’ playing was sadly poorly EQed (nothing new here for us bass players) but what I could hear was rather good, especially his fretless work.

thats a shame, it was pretty clear at St Davids hall although I wonder how much of that was because I was in the front row, 8 foot from the stage. 

The Steve Gadd Band at Ronnie's last night. A class act all round... I dream of putting a band together half as sensitive to each other's space, and capable of such subtlety and dynamics. Jimmy Johnson was superb, and the compositions of his were the standouts for me. I could have listened all night.

On 28/03/2018 at 00:09, ezbass said:

Just back from seeing Steven Wilson at the Royal Albert Hall. I was quite impressed, especially as I’m not totally familiar with his body of work, but I do like a bit of prog. The drum sound was brilliant, as was the playing by Craig Blundell. Nick Beggs’ playing was sadly poorly EQed (nothing new here for us bass players) but what I could hear was rather good, especially his fretless work. A good show visually too, with front and rear projections. Add to that that my chum has got us tickets in a box and it all added up to a good evening.

Saw the Manchester show last night.  I've been a big fan of all the Porcupine Tree output and his solo material and really enjoyed the show.  Like you say I think the bass could have been handled better.  Great set though, going back to some 15 yr old stuff as well as the latest CD.  The stripped back him and his guitar version of Even Less was outstanding.

Two nights ago. 

Greta Van Fleet supported by The Second Sons. Brilliant venue was St Luke’s just around from the Barrowland.

Thoroughly impressed by both bands. 

The Second Sons deserve some attention and acknowledgement. They have a definite Stones vibe and are full of energy and excellent musicianship backed by great stage presence. George on bass ripped it, brilliant player.  I can’t wait to see them again, very entertaining. They are from London  

Greta Van Fleet are getting lots of attention for their Led Zep comparison. They are what they are, Josh can’t change his voice. They do certainly sound vintage but that’s the way they are because of the music they grew up with. They got a great reception from a very supportive and loud crowd and they are excellent musicians. The songs were all brilliant and they covered a Howlin Wolf track. Vocals were a little low

in the mix especially near the front and centre and this irked some fans. 

Belter of a set though and a very friendly crowd. They will be back on a bigger stage.  

Dead Daisies last night in Glasgow garage. What a shithole of a venue!  Marco Mendoza played well but too much sub in the overall sound so anything above the 5th fret was more or less lost. Good, hard rocking set.

Support were the quite foxy Amorettes. 

Saw The Wonder Stuff and Ned’s Atomic Dustbin last night. I’ve seen the Stuffies many times over the last 10 years (and man many times over the last 30).

I’ve not seen Ned’s for around 20 years. They were fantastic!!

But there was a great example of bass tone soloed verses in the mix.

Matt’s Stingray had a great chunky tone, where as Alex’s Ric was thin and a bit farty sounding. Guess which one vanished, and which sat perfectly, once the whole band kicked in.

Georgie Fame at the Apex in Bury St Edmunds last night.  Guy is a legend - at 74 he sings and plays exactly the same as he ever did.  Could have done without him indulging his 2 grandchildren who wailed their way through a handful of numbers, mind.

Stickmen a few weeks ago at the Robin 2. Great show, epic sounds and playing, a couple of King Crimson covers, and culminating in a short conversation with Markus Reuter and Tony Levin. And Stick lessons from Herr Reuter, the first of which is Monday! Very informative gig for me! And I made a new friend. How rare!

Went to see Martin Turner at Backstage in Kinross.

Fantastic night with all the band right on form.

Not even having to get up at 5am today could spoil a fab night.

Could have done without hearing the "Three nuns" joke again though. xD

Just got back from seeing The Christians in Runcorn. Bit of a trek for me but well worth it.

Great 6 piece band with superb vocals, did all the well known material and a few good covers

too. Sound was a slight let down, seemed to be using the theatre’s house PA which was a tad

bass light. Shame as bassist Bobby Kewley played great, using both a fretted and a fretless

Yamaha BB into an old Trace Head and 2103 cab.

Superb band and cracking gig though, well worth the trip.

30729333_1950586615003882_8138475332383539200_n.jpg

Edited by casapete
Add pic

The Sleaze Sisters in Blyth last night. A free pub gig so I cant complain about the ticket price. They are a 70s glam rock band and they dress in that style. Great musicians who do it properly, and play with enthusiasm and dynamics. The front man/singer worked the audience like a pro and had us in the palm of his hand. Glam rock was not my thing back in the 70s, I was into Prog and heavy rock but the Sleaze Sisters put on a great show and I was surprised to learn that I knew the words to most of the songs, as did the rest of the crowd.  I do love a sweaty intimate bub gig, so If you want a great night out go and see a good local band, the Sleaze Sisters.

Saw Testament on 4th April. It was OK. The bass player started having issues 20 minutes into the gig with his bass gear. He kept fiddling with his transmitor, and bass controls. His bass could be barely heard and he was trying to get his technician to do something about it. Even if I wasn't a bass player it was too obvious there was something wrong with his gear. The bass solo was appalling and i wasn't impressed with guutar solos either.

BUT, a band my mate used to listen to when we were 16-17 was unbelievable. Annihilator who  supported Testament were simpmy outstanding in both playing and show. Such an underrated metal band.

Caught the Dead Daisies on the offchance last Friday at Rock City. Marco Mendoza's a bit of an underrated player I think but he was undermixed so was difficult to hear the bass anyway. Very good backing singer, perfect sort of band for him.

Bryan Ferry at the City Hall Newcastle last night. He is a great performer despite being 72 and has lost none of his vocal range. The band were great as he always seems to come up with excellent musicians. The sax player in particular was spot on. The old Roxy Music stuff still sends shivers down my spine, it still sounds as off the wall and somehow a bit weird as it did back in the early 70s. "In every dream home a heartache" is as disturbing, fresh and relevant as its always been.  Nice one Brian, good to see you back home. One thing though, the sound was good but sadly the drums were over loud in the mix. Not the usual boomy BD sound but the whole kit and cymbals to too far forward.