Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

On 23/11/2017 at 18:13, T-Bay said:

I have tickets for Nottingham on Saturday, disappointing to hear about at the drive in as I saw them live a while back and they were very good. Hopefully it was just a bad sound night for them

Well it obviously wasn’t a bad night them as At the drive in were truly awful last night. Sad as I have seen them once before and were good. The sound was unbelievably muddy, vocals also inaudible and overall just terrible. I can only assume that what they were hearing was very different to what we were hearing or they would have packed up and gone home.

BUT Black Honey were really good and Royal Blood were right on the money. I think is the time to see them -right at the peak of what they are doing, it’s going to be hard to do their next album I think. With a few dates left I would get to see them if you have a chance.

On 26/11/2017 at 11:01, T-Bay said:

Well it obviously wasn’t a bad night them as At the drive in were truly awful last night. Sad as I have seen them once before and were good. The sound was unbelievably muddy, vocals also inaudible and overall just terrible. I can only assume that what they were hearing was very different to what we were hearing or they would have packed up and gone home.

BUT Black Honey were really good and Royal Blood were right on the money. I think is the time to see them -right at the peak of what they are doing, it’s going to be hard to do their next album I think. With a few dates left I would get to see them if you have a chance.

It would appear that their sound guy is doing what they asked.  I'm assuming, and I don't know, that it's a different person for each band, Black Honey and Royal Blood were as clear as, only At The Drive In were playing through a mattress.

4 minutes ago, Si600 said:

It would appear that their sound guy is doing what they asked.  I'm assuming, and I don't know, that it's a different person for each band, Black Honey and Royal Blood were as clear as, only At The Drive In were playing through a mattress.

That’s the odd thing, how could anyone stand there and go “yup that’s bang on”. It has to be a different person for each one, either that or atbthe drive in have very very seriously peed him off somehow. At the very least you would expect the venues technicians to have a word. I see they are doing a solo tour now, not one I will be buying tickets for.

Just got back from Royal Blood at Bournemouth. Great gig, and their sound was amazingly clear considering how bass heavy it is. At the drive in sounded pretty mushy, although can't say that I liked them that much. Black honey were a bit clearer, I liked them, my wife didn't (not the sort of thing she likes), but still a very good night, very impressed with royal bloods performance.

Saw Go West at the Apex theatre in Bury St Edmunds last night.  Mrs S and I go to see Go West whenever they are in striking distance of home, usually 3 or 4 times a year.  Apex is a good venue -  500 seater, sound is always crisp.  Peter Cox's voice was very slightly under par for this gig but the band were totally on the money.  We both reckon, having seen them since they started, that this is the best incarnation of the band.  Bassist  Vinzenz Benjamin is phenomenal and the new young guitarist squarely ticks the Alan Murphy boxes. (there is a tenuous connection - his dad was in the band when Alan Murphy was)  This was part of their 35th anniversary tour, not bad going.

Downside being caught in Bury St Edmunds rush hour lockdown - our 30 minute 'flex time' was used up sitting in a jam in Parkway.  Bonus for the night free parking in the short stay car park after 3pm on a Tuesday and 'The Sheesh' Turkish restaurant, just  3 minute walk from the Apex, was superb.  Not tried it before but it will be our regular now when going to this venue.  Note to self - arrive before rush hour.

Last night saw the Hamish Stewart Band at the Maritime room at the Cliff's Pavilion.  A small (200max) informal venue - Mrs S and I were sat at the first set of tables so i could have leaned forward and touched the guitar player, had I the inclination.  Saw them here last year, too,so I knew what to expect.  I've seen and enjoyed the current Average White Band but IMO it is Hamish that ignites a performance, raises it to another level.  The man just oozes funk and rhythm.  Helped by a band of superlative musicans - Steve Pearce has to be the bassist I enjoy listening to live more than any other at the moment.  He stays in the pocket, branching out with some fantastic runs once in a while, but always being creative - an absolutely masterclass of funky, soulful bass playing.  The whole band are constantly laughing and just having a blast.  Hamish's voice isn't what it was but he can still turn in a powerful vocal performance 'A Love Of My Own' being a beautiful example. 

Alfa Mist last night at the Soup Kitchen in Manchester. Absolutely brilliant! Kaya Thomas-Dyke opened up singing mostly original jazz and playing guitar. She seemed really nervous but we couldn't figure out if that was an act or what. Her voice was incredible. I was surprised that the crowd were very quiet and appreciative. I used to rowdier gigs! Anyway, she then went on to play bass for Alfa Mist's band and really held it down. She was the only member to not take a solo, but then if she had I think the whole thing would've fallen apart. The guy on trumpet really stood out for me - awesome solos - and Alpha Mist on the keys was brilliant too. 

Fantastic clear, but full sound, no need for ear plugs, appreciative audience... I should really go to more jazz gigs. 

On 11/29/2017 at 07:18, T-Bay said:

Bit of a pattern appearing here.......

Yep.  I saw them in Cardiff earlier in the month, and it was pretty much as Woodinblack and T-Bay said.  Black Honey were okay, though the bass was fairly mushy.  At The Drive In were just a wall of mush at any point where it wasn't just guitar alone, and Royal Blood sounded surprisingly good considering the bass problems with the support bands.

Not knowing anything about At The Drive In I'm not sure whether the singer's comment along the lines of "you can tell everyone you saw this crap band" was just self-deprecation, a comment about how they've been received so far on the tour, or a symptom of something else going on.  

Robert Plant at the the Olympia in Liverpool. Fantastic night. Great band he had with him too. They also did quite a few Led Zepplin songs. 

Only slight disappointment was the front of house bass sound. The bass player changed between 4_ 5 electric basses and a double bass and they all sounded the same. He was obviously  a very good player but it just sounded like a low rumbling mush with no note definition. 

Still a great night seeing one of the all time greats performing so well.

• 3 months later...

Went to see Steve Wilson in Cardiff last wednesday. Was very surprised (as I hadn't checked the ticked) that I was in the front row in front of the stage, about 8 foot from the stage (all seated).

Was a very good gig, and the first time I have been there (I am quite a way from cardiff, but closer and cheaper than london). I was on the guitar side rather than on the bass side, which if I had picked I would have changed, but as it was it was pretty good. The 'new guy' Alex Hutchins is great, hadn't seen his youtube stuff before, but very good. Obviously Nick Beggs was fantastic as normal, with his spectors and with his Chapman Stick (still want to try one of those). 

Was also very impressed with the sound quality as a few recently have been not great.

Will definitely go back and see the next one.

I went to see Dinosaur Jr last Wednesday. They’re always good. Lou had his Gibson Ripper through full Marshall stack and an Orange head and 8x10... J had his usual triple stacks (1 Hiwatt and 2 Marshalls) and a Fender Twin.

more unusually, none of the heads expired mid gig!

On 25/03/2018 at 16:50, bartelby said:

I went to see Dinosaur Jr last Wednesday. They’re always good. Lou had his Gibson Ripper through full Marshall stack and an Orange head and 8x10... J had his usual triple stacks (1 Hiwatt and 2 Marshalls) and a Fender Twin.

more unusually, none of the heads expired mid gig!

Going tomorrow and can’t wait. Due to unforeseen circumstances and general lazy balls attitude, they are one of my favourite bands but never seen them live. Shocking behaviour, I know. 

Think I may cry. 

On 24/03/2018 at 19:57, Woodinblack said:

Went to see Steve Wilson in Cardiff last wednesday. Was very surprised (as I hadn't checked the ticked) that I was in the front row in front of the stage, about 8 foot from the stage (all seated).

Was a very good gig, and the first time I have been there (I am quite a way from cardiff, but closer and cheaper than london). I was on the guitar side rather than on the bass side, which if I had picked I would have changed, but as it was it was pretty good. The 'new guy' Alex Hutchins is great, hadn't seen his youtube stuff before, but very good. Obviously Nick Beggs was fantastic as normal, with his spectors and with his Chapman Stick (still want to try one of those). 

Was also very impressed with the sound quality as a few recently have been not great.

Will definitely go back and see the next one.

Seeing the show in Manchester at the weekend.  The last tour was probably gig of the year for me so the bar is set high.

9 hours ago, Nothingman said:

Going tomorrow and can’t wait. Due to unforeseen circumstances and general lazy balls attitude, they are one of my favourite bands but never seen them live. Shocking behaviour, I know. 

Think I may cry. 

You're going to love it, unless you're one of these people who insists on crowd interaction. I've seen them before where the only words spoken were from Lou at the end of the gig... "Thanks".

But I have also seen them when they've been quite chatty. J said "Hi" at the start and "Thanks for coming" at the end. xD

Edited by bartelby