Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

Jimmy Lea, ex of Slade, on Sunday afternoon at The Robin in Bilston. He was premiering his new DVD of his one and only solo gig. Did a one hour Q&A session with the crowd, spoke at length of his current battle with prostate cancer and how his hormone treatment affects his breathing, his throat and fitness due to muscle wastage.
He then excused himself to "look for some notes" and came back on with his treasured black Strat and with the help of backing tapes and much support from the 300 crowd he belted through four Slade classics.
I didn't see a dry eye in the house. What a bloody trooper!!

• Like 2

Marillion last night at the London Palladium. Once the sound man had got H's vocal to a level in the mix where you could understand him and sorted out a problem with Pete's bass (what do they do in the sound check?) it was excellent. Every time I see them I want to buy a set of Taurus bass pedals but that would be over kill in a party band?

Martin Barre in Barnoldswick last night playing to a (sold out) crowd of 70 folk. Just him and a mate, two acoustic guitars and occasional mandolin. Outstanding evening of Tull, blues, Beatles, etc. etc.

Brilliant venue too, will be going back. It's basically a pub cellar.

UK Foo Fighters in Brighton weekend before last. Second time I've seen these boys and they are bloody good. A great crowd up for a good time, and a top venue sealed the deal, and we had an excellent evening out.

Their 'Dave' does the shouty bits, the drummer sings 'Cold Day In The Sun', bass-man has a Nate Mendel P-bass - what comes over is that they are trying really, really hard to be as good as possible and the band are all having a good time. Which, as we know, filters down to the crowd and helps set up a good atmosphere.

Contrast that to the very next morning - a bit of jazz from Herbie Flowers at the Dome. Nice.

Little Steven (  van Zant) and the Disciples of Soul.

An excellent 15 piece band. Good show but the follow spot operator couldn't find Steven once in 2.5 hours.  Quite annoying watching a frontman plaing lead guitar and singing in darkness. The spot op managed to light everyone else a some point but never SvZ.

Cory Henry and the Funk Apostles last night at Koko in Camden. Very nearly the perfect gig. Great sound, great venue, outstanding musicianship. Only the price of a beer (£6.10) to moan about. Although Cory Henry was his usual amazing self, the standout moments were solos from the Guitarist , Adam Agati and the  2nd keyboard Nick Semrad. Just WOW.

Alice cooper in Glasgow on Sunday. Brilliant!  Had Dennis Dunaway out for a handful of songs which really made my night. Spent the early 70's learning the basslines on Killer and Schools out. 

The tubes were a great support act. The mission were just crap.

• Thanks 1

Tuesday had a night of country rock at O2 Forum Kentish Town.  Brothers Osborne and Cadillac Three.  I had heard and liked a couple of tracks from each  but wasn't overly familiar with either band.  Brothers Osborne were fantastic - quality band with great singer and guitarist (the eponymous brothers) who had some good and interesting chops.  Good, well crafted country rock tunes.  Cadillac Three were the headliners and, although good, I thought they were rather one dimensional.  Think 'Country Beastie Boys' and after a few tracks everything sounded the same to me.  I thought the strutting front man was cool to start with but he just irritated me by the end.  Journey there was not so good due to a points failure on the overground so we had to back track and recalculate.  Balanced by a superb wood-fired sour dough pizza at Franco Manca produced in double quick time 3 mins from the venue.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 08:32, NoRhino said:

An excellent 15 piece band. Good show but the follow spot operator couldn't find Steven once in 2.5 hours.  Quite annoying watching a frontman plaing lead guitar and singing in darkness. The spot op managed to light everyone else a some point but never SvZ.

Saw them in Manchester earlier this year, absolutely amazing! 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2017 at 14:14, jacko said:

Alice cooper in Glasgow on Sunday. Brilliant!  Had Dennis Dunaway out for a handful of songs which really made my night. Spent the early 70's learning the basslines on Killer and Schools out. 

The tubes were a great support act. The mission were just crap.

Saw him at Wembley on Thursday and it was an absolute masterclass in how to put on a rock show, from start to finish. I bought my ticket before I knew the old band were coming out so when I heard they were added I was delighted. Dennis is one of my many heroes and he didn't disappoint. I fully agree, the Mission were like some bog standard sixth form band and really punching above their weight on that stage. We missed The Tubes (childcare and travel).

Royal Philharmonic with Royal Choral Society, Sky Ingram, Marc Heller, & Imperial Military Band on Thurs night at Albert Hall. Sort of Last Night of The Proms for those who can't get tickets.

42nd Street on Wed eve.

Simply fantastic both nights. Musically inspirational on both evenings.

On 11/15/2017 at 08:32, NoRhino said:

Saw him on Thursday in Newcastle. It was a great show but we commented numerous times about the spot operator. It would randomly appear on the rhythm guitarist while he was playing a verse but rarely when it was needed and sometimes it was on nobody at all!

Well worth seeing though.

• Confused 1

Royal Blood, At the Drive In and Black Honey at the NIA on Saturday.  Black Honey were amazing, At the Drive In may have been amazing but you couldn't hear anything apart from the high treble guitar solo and the bass drum, the difference between the sound for them and Black Honey was night and day.  It may have been what they wanted but it left me waiting for them to finish, from the singers comments on the lines of "Come on, it's not like we're here or anything" and "Welcome to our rehearsal" I wasn't the only disinterested party in the audience.

Royal Blood were OK.  I enjoyed them but I'm not rushing out to buy anything by them or another show ticket.  A bit samey to my ears, but the everyone else liked them so they're doing something right. :)

Mr Big o2 ABC in Glasgow last night.

Supports first - Faster pussycat - Meh!  never heard of them before but certainly not my thing. Bass player spent the set up against a big ampeg rig thudding away on what could have been the perfect line for the songs but was indecipherable from the general mush.

The Answer - much better and a much cleaner balance between the guitar and the bass - interestiing and musical basslines played. Enjoyed them. 

Then the main event. I didn't think the overall sound was that good. Billy wasn't as prominent as he is on the records so a lot of his noodling was lost.  According to my drummer, the drum sound wasn't very good ( he was disappointed at the lack of drums - prefers someone like neil peart).  it was good to see Pat Torpey joiing in a bit - he got a lot of love from the audience but he really does look ill - I reckon matt Starr will have taken over full time if they tour again. Shame as Pat was a more adventurous drummer IMO.

Paul Gilbert's solo went on far too long and ultimately sounded to me like someone practicing their scales very fast. Yawned several times but the guitar fanboys loved it.  Billy's solo sounded exactly the same as ever - i.e. not worth listening to. I've seen him in clinics and his soloing sounded brilliant - I could make out every note. In a gig setting it always sounds mushy with no semblance of structure. hey-ho.  Eric Martin's voice was better than the last time they came to Glasgow but he had an annoying habit of calling the audience 'Kids'.  I'm pretty sure 80% of us were the same age as him. 

Overall Mr Big didn't disappoint. Pretty much a greatest hits setlist and loads of energy and they played for around 2 hours. Just wish the sound had been better. 

Last night was in Glasgow to see MR BIG. They were magnificent. Didn’t know where to look, was Lisa like a tennis match watching Sheehan, back to Gilbert, back to Sheehan, and so on. The sound was ace though Gilbert was a little low in the mix for rythm stuff. Pat Torpley was along for backing vocals, a bit of percussion and took the drums for a ballad. A sensational night. 

Took this video with my phone and posted it on the inter web  

26982969-B948-46FD-977C-1DB47587184C.jpeg

On 22/11/2017 at 09:59, Si600 said:

Royal Blood, At the Drive In and Black Honey at the NIA on Saturday.  Black Honey were amazing, At the Drive In may have been amazing but you couldn't hear anything apart from the high treble guitar solo and the bass drum, the difference between the sound for them and Black Honey was night and day.  It may have been what they wanted but it left me waiting for them to finish, from the singers comments on the lines of "Come on, it's not like we're here or anything" and "Welcome to our rehearsal" I wasn't the only disinterested party in the audience.

Royal Blood were OK.  I enjoyed them but I'm not rushing out to buy anything by them or another show ticket.  A bit samey to my ears, but the everyone else liked them so they're doing something right. :)

I have tickets for Nottingham on Saturday, disappointing to hear about at the drive in as I saw them live a while back and they were very good. Hopefully it was just a bad sound night for them

Average White Band at Leeds Irish centre. Original founder member/leader  Alan Gorrie still fabulous on bass ( 5 string

sunburst Fender Jazz ) and guitar, along with original guitarist Onnie McIntyre. Rest of the band superb as well,

and they did most of their best known stuff to a capacity audience. 

AWB out there boosting their pension funds ... fantastic.   Soft machine doing the same.  Nice to see John Ethridge still out there with Roy Babbington on bass.  To my disappointment Roy was playing a Squire PJ through an el cheapo Line 6 amp ... which just goes to show that it's what notes you play not what you play them on that counts.  But I still reckon he'd sound better on a Wal plugged into a MesaBoogie ;¬)