Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1473316713' post='3128915']
Saw Anaal Nathrakh and Voices in London last Friday, brilliant, chaotic, brutality from Nathrakh, they're my favourite live band, love seeing them.

I thought you'd enjoy a photo of their basssits rig, he played a battered Epiphone Gothic Thunderbird through it and the front of house came from a Behringer BDI21. Didn't sound very articulate, but in the context of the band it worked.

Conversely, the bassist in Voices used an American Deluxe Jazz five into a Kemper, powered modelling system and flight-cased Orange cab, I remember Stickman on here commenting that support acts always had more kit than headliners and this seemed a case in point.
[/quote]

Gutted to have missed Nathrakh! They were ace at Bloodstock a few years ago.

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1473318829' post='3128926']

Gutted to have missed Nathrakh! They were ace at Bloodstock a few years ago.
[/quote]

They're one of my absolute favourite bands, and for my money the best live act going; looking forward to the new album at the end of October too.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw Madness last night at the Tempodrom in Berlin. They were everything I had hoped for, brilliant. Loads of the old hits plus 4 or 5 from their new Album.
One bizzare feature was when Suggs and co. left the stage to allow Chrissy Boy to sing a bit of Highway to Hell to a backing track :blink: It looked very much as if they needed a filler while someone got changed or had a pee or something... but, hey-ho, it was a top night, all round.

We just seen The Mission in Glasgow. Awesome as ever! They were supported by Peter Murphy. Legend. But what a total cock he was! His sound was terrible, ok, not his fault, but his attitude stunk. He kept throwing mic stands around for his roadie to pick up. At one point he threw away his acoustic guitar and said " stop, stop, this f***in things out of tune, I can't play with this " he'd used it for two songs, so it was him that put it out of tune! His song choice was questionable, with every song being dreary atmospheric dirges. There was a super fan beside us and he was booing loudly at the end. We were very disappointed in his whole manner. I heard he had posted on his Facebook page , that he was doing a meet and greet if you paid two hundred quid cash! What a tosser!
Luckily The Mission more than made up. Highlight was when some fans hoisted their wheelchair bound mate up high, so that he could share in the atmosphere. Class!

I saw The Eskies play on Sunday night. It was at the Palladium Club in North Devon.

They're a very good band. Good tunes and stage presence with a good bucket load of humour as well.

I'd not even got around to listening to any of their material before the gig. They're a bit more difficult to desribe than my mate suggested. He just said they were like the Levellers. There are similarities but the Eskies are more tuneful and sort of musical.

Excellent gig

• 1 month later...

Saw Joanne Shaw Taylor (again) at the Apex, Bury St Edmunds on Saturday. Last leg of the current UK tour and she/they gave it everything. Really really good and what a guitarist she is. Fab.
For those interested, bassist is a guy called Luigi Casanova. Cool guy, playing a Fender Jazz (of some sort) through an Ampeg rig (of some sort)!

Went to see Roachford at Sturminster Newton Exchange near me on Friday gone. Not a big venue, I've played there!

Anyway, he was excellent apart from the Oasis cover he did (he has a Covers album out), just did not seem 'right'.

Bassist had a MB CMD 115 P with a Blackline 151 cab on top. He played an old, style Precision, nice melodic playing ,nothing flashy. Did not get his name properly, sounded like 'Yoyo Baez'. Guitarist was Roachford's younger brother Stephen.

Spoke to the promoter about getting a gig there for Hello Hopeville and then to ex Sabbath Bassist Jo Burt: I know him from the local scene.

Edited by yorks5stringer

[attachment=231813:Ronnie_Scotts2016.png]
The Steve Cropper Band at Ronnie Scott's, Soho last Thursday. Same instrument set up as Booker T & The MGs, and a mixture of Cropper's own songs from over the years, so sadly no "Time Is Tight".
It even turned out that the Hammond guy "Rusty" Cloud from NYC and myself had a mutual acquaintance in the music world, sadly recently passed.
Bass was by Jim Haggerty on a Lakland. All of them a very friendly bunch of guys.

*not the sharpest of pics, but there was a stack of phones on the table and they were rushed one after the other.

Bit late, but I was at Seasick Steve at Wembley. Not a fan per se - I vividly remember being blown away by his very first Jools appearance but hadn't listened to any and was offered a ticket last minute.

Loved it, just him and a drummer for the most part, the sound he got out of his guitars was incredible.

I went to see a close and dear friend last week who is on tour with Paul Gilbert right now. It was a great gig, then afterwards my mate came out to grab me and go back stage to hang with Paul and band mate, the rather cool Pete Griffin on bass.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to see The Damned last night. They played all of Damned Damned Damned and then another 18 songs.
Highlight was Paul Gray coming on to play bass for Generals and Stranger on the Town.
He walked on, tweaked the amp settings and transformed the band. It was like they stepped up to a whole new level.
Absolutely awesome!

Just back from seeing Marillion at the Manchester Academy. Awesome. New material, still proper classic prog rock, complete with strange complex visuals - rare to see live these days. Not my most favourite genre of music, but well done, live, in a room packed with hardcore fans it's one heck of an experience.

[quote name='josie' timestamp='1480383285' post='3183973']
Just back from seeing Marillion at the Manchester Academy. Awesome. New material, still proper classic prog rock, complete with strange complex visuals - rare to see live these days. Not my most favourite genre of music, but well done, live, in a room packed with hardcore fans it's one heck of an experience.
[/quote]

Yup, I was there too. As you say, an AWESOME gig.

Therapy? Doing an acoustic show at the Union Chapel on Thursday night. Absolutely brilliant show...oddly, not especially for the music. More the intimate setting and relaxed between song banter, every song a sing along, a lot of story telling, etc

Sadly the bass was a bit anonymous.

Also, no booze inside the venue because God objects. Just one more reason to be an atheist

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1480773110' post='3187030']
Therapy? Doing an acoustic show at the Union Chapel on Thursday night. Absolutely brilliant show...oddly, not especially for the music. More the intimate setting and relaxed between song banter, every song a sing along, a lot of story telling, etc

Also, no booze inside the venue because God objects. Just one more reason to be an atheist
[/quote]
Hip flask or travel coffee mug. Don't think the mystical being could tell what you drink 😉

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1480773110' post='3187030']

[/quote]
I love Therapy? and saw them a load of times when I was at Uni. The last time was Leicester students union and they were stunning. I think they went a bit off the rails when they signed the new deal and headed down the more commercial route but a few hundred people chanting James Joyce is ********* my sister at the top of their voices was a hell of a thing to behold. The first two EPs that they merged to become Caucasian psychosis is still on my regular play list over 25 years later.

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1480410569' post='3184059']
Sunday night

Last in Line and Inglorious - good old rock and good new rock, Inglorious put on a great show and the singer has a real voice.
Bassist has a few chops as well
[/quote]

Saw these bands in Nottm last Monday. Good value (there was actually a third band but didnt gt time to see them) though Phil Soussan of LiL seemed to have a real problem with his IEM's, lots of gesticulating to the wings, also massive bass feedback surge right at start of first song, even with pro's you could see it throw them for half a song or so.

[quote name='josie' timestamp='1480383285' post='3183973']
[/quote]

They're a band I've only quite recently rediscovered after being a slightly reluctant fan during the Fish era - had a Scottish girlfriend (& now ex-wife) at that point & she was massively into them, but dropped them like a stone after the big guy left. Wasn't really the sort of thing I was into at the time so never paid too much attention afterwards.

However, saw them again 4 or 5 years ago and was blown away, particularly by Hogarth who's got to be one of the most charismatic, captivating & expressive frontmen I've ever seen. It's hard not to feel I missed out on so much of their career over the previous 25-odd years, but their new material is breathtakingly good. Saw them in Glasgow last Wednesday and they were on fire. Superb band.

[quote name='Freddy Le Cragg' timestamp='1480409899' post='3184050']
Frank Turner in Oxford. The New Theatre is a sh*te venue but they made it amazing. Well worth a night out. The guy is a consumatw pro. And being a long term fan of Dive Dive helped to. I live Tarrant's bass playing....and you could actually hear it!
[/quote]

Wish I could have made it to one of the shows on this tour, or even to one of the cinema shows, but with the wife heavily pregnant, it's too much of a risk. Tonight's gig is a bit dubious, but commited now.