Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

Saw The Manfreds last Wednesday, one word EXCELLENT.

Paul Jones can still teach modern frontmen what it's all about.

The band - Paul Jones, Tom McGuiness, Marcus Cliffe, Mike Hugg, Simon Currie and Rob Townsend.

Cracking night.

Last gig was Lifesigns at Bannermans in Edinburgh. Great new(ish) prog band. Originally had Nick beggs on bass and new guy Jon poole plays those ridiculous lines with ease while leaping around the stage like a startled gazelle! My new fave band!

Was lucky enough to catch Ian Siegal at the Borderline last Friday. First time in quite a while that I've seen him with a full band, and he certainly didn't disappoint. Bloody difficult to move anywhere in the Borderline when it's packed out, mind...I'd swear they must be selling more tickets than they've technically got capacity for.

Saw Sikth headline Manchester Academy with Hactivist and Destrage. Wanted to see Sikth for so long, they toured in 2014 but I couldn't get to the gig because of Uni. Alas, Sikth definitely one of the tightest bands I've seen to date, despite the difficulty of their songs. and that comes from a list which includes of King Crimson.

Hactivist were okay, not sure I'm a fan of the rap djent stuff. Bit dull and repetitive.

Destrage were amazing at this gig, never heard of them before but it was kind of all over the place with a lot of cool riffs.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1458557009' post='3008471']
Edgar Meyer and Christian McBride, St Georges Bristol. Stunning. Two acoustic basses, and a bit of piano (played by a bass player).
[/quote]

Saw them too. Very musical, engaging and more arco than you could shake a bow at.

And acoustic. A change after Symphony X and the Winery Dogs.

• 2 weeks later...

Toseland, at the Stereo Cafe in Glasgow, supported by Colour of Noise and a surprise, Mason Hill. All three bands were great and the sound was superb. I do so much prefer small intimate venues

I was there too Liam! Absolutely love this band - went along with my daughter (plus her best friend) and my mum, 3 generations at the same gig. And we had post game passes for pizza and selfies. Unforgettable night, topped off with Seb's guitar pick landing at my feet (we were on the balcony) which is now my daughter's prize possession.

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1459424745' post='3016381']
I was there too Liam! Absolutely love this band - went along with my daughter (plus her best friend) and my mum, 3 generations at the same gig. And we had post game passes for pizza and selfies. Unforgettable night, topped off with Seb's guitar pick landing at my feet (we were on the balcony) which is now my daughter's prize possession.
[/quote]

Was a good night. My friend had one of Davids picks land straight in her hand. A perfectly executed 10m pick throw. I was impressed.

My last gig was Marc O'Reilly at the Donkey in Leicester. Never heard of him before but we were the support band so we stuck around to watch the gig.

It was stunning. A sort of blues/folk and even slightly gospel overtones to some of it, and it went from delicate hushed stuff to flat out bluesy grooving. Just a trio too so everyone worked hard to cover a lot of ground. Drummer and bass player were brilliant as well as Marc himself.

I think they've just been signed to Virgin and have a new single out called Bleed. Give them a listen if you get a chance.

Saw a two piece punky blues type outfit called The Bonnevilles a couple of weeks ago. Small gig but utterly brilliant. Reminded me a bit of early Black Keys (not the poppy crap they are putting out now - think Rubber Factory and Thickfreakness). With songs like "Good Suits and Fightin' Boots" how could they possibly be anything but marvellous?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyLSnHyueqg

Edited by Rubbersoul

• 2 weeks later...

Little Axe at Glasgow's King Tuts Wah-Wah hut - 10 years ago. Mibbe more.

I remember Doug Wimbish doing a heavy metal solo on a twelve (12) string bass and that it felt too loud.

So loud, in fact, I felt as old as I did uncomfortable and have never been to a proper ( or improper) gig since.

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1446597263' post='2900767']
Värttinä - went to their album-launch gig last month in Helsinki. Fabulous stuff and well worth the trip.
[/quote]
[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1446677454' post='2901481']
I am jealous!
[/quote]

They (or at least the 3 singers) are in London in June: http://www.kingsplace.co.uk/whats-on/music/v-rttin#.VxoU8fmnpws
- also gigs in Liverpool and Newcastle. Already have front-row seats :)

Went to see Hawkwind at Islington Town Hall Friday.....WOW took me back 30 years, they we're awesome. Bass duties have been taken over by a former roadie Haz who is a great bassist. Dibs on vocals and Niall Hone on Keys, Richard Chadwick on the skins.....Dave Brock still singing and space rocking. Loved it! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Anastacia at the Palladium Monday night. Absolutely brilliant. Not moving around like she used to but voice was superb and she had a great band. Bass player (and MD) was the old Sugarbabes guy Orefo Orakwue. Had heard of him but never actually experienced his playing before. Seriously cool player. (5 string Smith and some sort of Jazz)

All in all, a great gig.

Spear Of Destiny and Howlin' Bones at The Rescue Rooms in Nottingham.

I wasn't a fan back in the day, and although I saw Theatre Of Hate live in 1981 I don't remember anything about their set, so I probably didn't like it much. However my girlfriend likes them a lot, and we caught the latest line-up of SoD at the WGW last year. I have to say I was mightily impressed, so when I saw that they were playing Nottingham and one of my favourite local bands Howling' Bones were supporting them I jumped at the chance.

Yet another great gig. Howlin' Bones made a very impressive transition from their intimate pub gigs to the big(ish) stage and SoD turned in yet another brilliant performance with a lot more recent material than their WGW set. Pity there was no "Rainmaker" but I suppose they wanted to give a bit more prominence to the recent album rather than just play a set of songs from 30 years ago.

Bass-related trivia: Their current bassist is Craig Adams from The Mission who was playing a Schecter 5-string.

I relented and got last minute tickets to see Yes at Colston Hall, Bristol.

Billy Sherwood on bass, doing an impressive impersonation of Chris Squire in terms of sound, lines, hair, humour, movement and body mass. Had a selection of Spectors.

They did Drama and Fragile in their entirety plus extras. Drama sounded better than the album, but maybe I should give it another listen. They struggled occasionally keeping it together, but it was an enjoyable self tribute.