Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1454493001' post='2970165']
Saw The Winery Dogs Last night in Bristol - Awesome! Billy Sheehan, Mike Portnoy and Richie Kotzen at their explosive best!
[attachment=211373:Billy.jpg]
[/quote]

I was there, and they were awesome...and explosive.

Saw They Might Be Giants recently at the Brudenell. Lots of fun and they were great musicians. I wasn't familiar with much of their material but enjoyed it nonetheless. Next up, That f***ing Tank with Esper Scout in support.

Edited by Kirky

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1454403162' post='2969293']
Blackstone cherry, shinedown and hale storm last night at the Hydro in Glasgow. Good night but BSC could have had a better sound. I do prefer smaller intimate venues.
[/quote]
Went to see them last night in Manchester. Halestorm were good - didn't know any of their material but enjoyed what they played and the sound was great. Next up Shinedown who we were there to see. Didn't disappoint. Again, the sound was top notch. Only issue was they were not on for anywhere near long enough. Very professional and got the whole crowd up. Last, BSC. Pretty mediocre I thought. Volume went up slightly and quality reduced especially the vocals. Having said that, Lizzie Hale joined them for one song and her vocals sounded crisp and clear. Overall thoughts of the night - the wrong band were headlining.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1455112042' post='2975992']
Saw Slipknot on Monday in Cardiff motorpoint arena. With Suicidal Tendencies supporting. Top gig and Slipknot's new Bassist has a few lovely Status basses..
[/quote]

I think they must have been playing in London somewhere yesterday as there were loads of kids on the tube with slipknot t-shirts on when I went home from work... It seems Metal is still very popular with teenagers :) Was great to see so many of them excited about seeing a band that play actual instruments.

Last gig I went to was Slayer supported by Anthrax. Both bands were amazing. Slayer were, basically Slayer but their new guitarist Gary Holt exceeded himself with his energy and chops. I also liked his Kill The Kardashians T-Shirt. Anthrax were also pretty good, Frank Bello gave a masterclass in metal bass playing - energy, presence and thumping fingerstyle goodness.

All in all a top night out. Even Mrs Kendall enjoyed the gig, despite being more of a soul girl than a rock chick!

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1455112499' post='2976004']
I think they must have been playing in London somewhere yesterday as there were loads of kids on the tube with slipknot t-shirts on when I went home from work... It seems Metal is still very popular with teenagers :) Was great to see so many of them excited about seeing a band that play actual instruments.
[/quote]

They played the Ally Pally I think.

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1454848087' post='2973451']

Went to see them last night in Manchester. Halestorm were good - didn't know any of their material but enjoyed what they played and the sound was great. Next up Shinedown who we were there to see. Didn't disappoint. Again, the sound was top notch. Only issue was they were not on for anywhere near long enough. Very professional and got the whole crowd up. Last, BSC. Pretty mediocre I thought. Volume went up slightly and quality reduced especially the vocals. Having said that, Lizzie Hale joined them for one song and her vocals sounded crisp and clear. Overall thoughts of the night - the wrong band were headlining.
[/quote]

I suppose if you went to see Shinedown, that would be your point of view. We love BSC, but I have to agree, Shinedown were brilliant and had a great sound. I love BSC, but that's a few times I've seen them and the sound has been average. I'd like to see them in a smaller venue.

I never realised Shinedowns singer was such a wee man. He came out and passed me with a security bloke. I'm 5'9" and I was towering over him! What a voice though!

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1455112042' post='2975992']
Saw Slipknot on Monday in Cardiff motorpoint arena. With Suicidal Tendencies supporting. Top gig and Slipknot's new Bassist has a few lovely Status basses..
[/quote]

I would've liked to go to that tour, be great to see SikTh and Suicidal Tendencies open and then I could've sat at the back with a beer and watched the headliners.

Between Slipknot and Muse it's nice Status basses are gracing a few more arenas these days :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A musical weekend - went to two gigs over the weekend, both at the O2 Brooklyn Bowl which is rapidly becoming one of my favourite venues. Plus one of my bands gigged on Saturday, sandwiched between.

On Friday saw the Von Hertzen Brothers. Finnish rock band, very melodic, very good performance. 3 part vocal harmonies were excellent.

last night saw New Master Sounds. Old school Jazz funk. Amazing performance, best gig I have been to so far this year. They started at 7:30, which I think caught a lot of people wrong footed, finished at 10:30 with a 25 minute break at some point. Bass player, Pete Shand, sounded lush playing a Precision through an Ampeg rig and was incredibly good.

Bristol O2 Academy last Thursday -- The Wonder Stuff with support from The Wedding Present and Lottery Winners.
I arrived to late to catch much of the Lottery Winners' set, but what I saw and heard was very good. Quality songs well played and sung. Bassist used a Fender Jazz fingerstyle through a Warwick head and cab, excellent sound and she was a bloody good player, several very tasty fills.
The Wedding Present -- sorry to any fans here, but christ they bored the tits off me. The songs all just blurred into each other, some decent backing vocals would have helped but I barely heard a single word the bassist sang. She also had a Fender Jazz, pick-played through an Ampeg head and cab (not SVT), reasonable gritty sound but she looked like she'd rather be anywhere else. I knew how she felt.
The Wonder Stuff couldn't have been more different. Miles bounded onto the stage like it was still 1986 and didn't stop grinning like a loon all night. He seemed genuinely delighted to be there. They played all the old favourites (didn't play Dizzy, thank god) and even took requests, and we all sang ourselves hoarse. They have a new BVing guitarist and he is superb. Bassist was using what appeared to be a Les Paul Triumph bass, although it didn't look like a Gibson logo on the headstock. CMI? He is obviously a dyed-in-the-wool pick player, as he had to sit down to play the two or three fingerstyle numbers. Ashdown head and 8x10 cab, fantastic sound.
So overall the night was one third brilliant, one third very good, and one third completely meh.

Last week I saw The Wonder Stuff 3 times (cardiff on the 12th, Bristol, then Brum on Saturday).
The Lottery Winners were fantastic! Just listening to one of their singles now. The playing is superb!
Katie Lloyd is just brilliant:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stwugUMEIxo[/media]

I agree about the Wedding Present, they were the same dullness in Birmingham.

Mark McCarthy plays a CSL Triumph copy. Hold on and I'll upload a photo of him.

I also saw the Stranglers on Friday night in Cardiff, so I had quite a busy week.

Edited by bartelby

Melody Gardot at Colston Hall , Bristol on Saturday night. Nice venue and the headline band came on at 7.40 ! Brilliant I thought, looks like 3 hours of new stuff and back catalogue. They finished at 9.10...! Almost went looking for another gig in Bristol!

That said, she was very good, almost exclusively stuff of her new "Currency of Man" release which is soul/.r&b rather than her earlier jazzy stuff. Great bassist Sam? played upright DB and P Bass, lengthy Bass solo in a tune titled "March for MIngus".