Why become a member? ×

Chasing a certain bass tone - HELP!

Pow_22

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Ive developed a bit of an obsession with the bass tone on the Fratellis song “Look Out Sunshine” - it’s a lovely solid thump then a bit of valvey type break up in the sustain.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I know the gear the bass player uses as standard (flats loaded P bass, SVT, 8x10 etc) and I get that in the studio there will be all sorts of effects and processors in the signal chain. However, I still cant help but chase this sound with my set up of flats loaded P bass , SVTIII, 410he. Ive tried using a BDI21 pedal set to emulate an SVT but it’s a bit muddy and not very gritty. Ive tried changing my flats from the dark sounding picato’s to something with a bit more growl (Fender 9050’s). I can get the solid initial thump but can get the depth or the growly type sustain he’s getting.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Ive got some high gain supposed early break-up valves in my SVTIII and that helped take away some of the muddiness but im just not really getting the growl.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Is it just the case of the sound coming from the all valve SVT or is there a pre-amp pedal (maybe a mild OD pedal) that could get me close to that sound?[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1446463304' post='2899466']
Umm... Tech-21 VT Bass.
[/quote]

Yep, Precision, dead rounds rather than flats, and a VT Bass set to just on break-up on the Gain. The VT has mids/character controls whereas the BDI21 doesn`t so that middiness will be easy enough to coax.

I`d reckon that in the studio it`s probably both DI`d and miked up, with the miked eq`d sound getting mixed with a pre-eq`d DI sound.

This is just a driven pickup simulation so you are going to have to put a lot of signal into the pickup..and then have the output of that
driven hard at the valve stage.
The best way to achive that is a heavy right hand... not sure what you mean by growl, tbh.. don't hear much growl as such there..it is just a loaded signal.
but anyway, the definition of 'growl' isn't really important. FWIW, I'd say growl would be more 'character' than that signal has, but there you go.
You can't have lively strings on a sound like this...and you can't have a 'fine' touch..it is all about beef into...

This might be a better mix for it..?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOt3133ucAE

Edited by JTUK

One of the most unrecognised ways of altering your bass tone is the length of your strap. If you have it super long, your hand will naturally fall to the rear, or bridge end of the bass... The higher you wear the bass (or the shorter you have the strap) the more it will naturally push your hand across the bass towards the neck pick up. In its extreme, a player using a pick with a long strap will sound completely and utterly different to a finger player on a short strap using the same bass and settings.. I use a strap to which I have fixed 2 Dunlop strap locks 6 inches apart, and even without changing to a different bass, and just switching between strap positions, the difference in sound is noticeable...

If you attack harder does that get you closer...altho you'll have to demo this at volume, IMO.

If it does, and you don't play like that...you are going to have to get into simulation.. which might be
where a compressor and drive pedal can help.

I was mucking around with this sort of thing last night and I found an SVT810 sim was on the right lines
and that had compression, drive and all sorts going on...
It isn't normally a sound I can go with, but it might point you into the right direction..and definitely a compressor
and gain pedal...
This sound is often all about 'natural' suppression or compression from a valve block which is why I looked at the
SVT sim, of course..

Funnily enough it tends to be the sound that an Engr thinks you want AND gives you...both on stage and in the studio..
but that is another thread..:lol:

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I did think about compression as the sound he seems to be getting is that almost restrained initial pillowy thump that the blooms/breaks out into the mild grind type sustain. The pedal which seems to fit the bill (on a budget) here would be:-[/color][/size][/font]
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/OnceAll-Effects-Dr-Aerolite-Compressor/dp/B00D8KKKJ0"][font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#0000ff"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/OnceAll-Effects-Dr-Aerolite-Compressor/dp/B00D8KKKJ0[/color][/size][/font][/url]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]It’s a compressor AND a booster (which may also help put my pre-amp valves a bit with a hotter signal). As such my pedalboard (im VERY new to pedals) would be:-[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Boss TU2 > Compressor/Booster > Chorus > Ibanez PD7 > Linear Booster[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I used to use the Linear Booster when I had an all valve amp to push it into a natural Chelsea Dagger type overdrive. I guess if this compressor/booster comes out it would illuminate the need for the Linear Booster?[/color][/size][/font]

I don't think you would be that far away with an SVTlll running hot..ie the gain on high and then just use the compressor for the 'thump'

If you find the amp isn't grindey enough then add drive from a pedal...I'm thinking you shouldn't need much because
I think the SVTlll is borderline filthy sounding with a P.

The signal needs input though so you either do that with a hard RH ( assuming RH) or pick...
A compressor can cheat it, I think and the boost with OD it, IMO.