Why become a member? ×

Wooden Endpins

Jimryan

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1455735664' post='2981980']
Having tried Tom's Duke with his Walnut endpin I'll be getting one for my own db once I've fettled one or two bits on it, probably oak as she's even sounding but of mellow tone...first job is to repair her current endpin and then try her with some spiro strings to get a better idea of what she sounds like to know which wood to go for :)
[/quote]

Walnut endpin ordered from Ben via ebay, should be here next week :)

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1457420994' post='2998228']
After taking my time settling on a height i ordered myself a walnut one last night.
[/quote]

mine arrived yesterday, lovely looking piece of Walnut too, gonna try it this evening :)

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1457613257' post='3000094']
Nice, can't wait to get and try mine. Do you like it?
[/quote]

It's very nicely built and very sturdy indeed, there's a massive convenience to having the fixed length endpin to just slot in when you setup, I've only had a very brief go with it and soundwise I need a more sustained time to play in a quiet house and do a comparison to be able to hear the full difference :)

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1457606176' post='3000016']
Here ya go...lovely bit of Walnut

[/quote]

The endpin looks great, very nicely made. If that were my bass I would get rid of that solid wire tailpiece hanger sharpish though - they're prone to breaking (which is terrifying!) and people often say that the bass opens up with a flexible braided cord.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1457620336' post='3000223']
If that were my bass I would get rid of that solid wire tailpiece hanger sharpish though - they're prone to breaking (which is terrifying!) and people often say that the bass opens up with a flexible braided cord.
[/quote]

The tailgut is on my list of things to do (along with a new bridge, tailpiece and a few other bits when I get some more cash together) it shows no visible signs of metal fatigue or any sign of having been touched in decades but yes I've heard horror stories and it's definitely on my 'to-do' list :D

I just replaced my tailpiece wire using a rope called Marlow V12, which is made of a fibre called Vectran - amazing stuff really, the 3mm V12 has a breaking strain of about 950kg, very low stretch and almost no creep (the gradual stretch that takes place over time in a loaded rope). You need the right knot (double fisherman's bend) because it's fairly slippery stuff.
I can't honestly say that I can tell the difference in sound, though, because I put new strings on in the same operation. But it's a relief not to be looking at the rather dubious wire arrangement and worrying about it going twang.