Why become a member? ×

Wooden Endpins

Jimryan

Morning all,

Over the weekend I've been looking into getting myself one of the wooden Endpins from Ben Bastin. How do other users rate theirs? My bass has a stock steel rod in it at the moment, but was thinking of upgrading. At the moment I'm torn between the oak and the walnut (based on descriptions). That said, I found another company online (in Germany I think) that also do them, but offer them stained black (looks pretty good) and are cheaper too.

Cheers,

James

They definietly make a difference in the acoustic tone. I don't know how to describe the difference but I had a fellow db player listen as well as a few other musician friends and they all heard a difference, and for the better. Plus, you never have to worry about the height of the bass or the endpin slipping at the wrong moment. The type of wood plays a part and Ben has a bit of R and D behind his products. Cheaper may not be better in this instance.

If you've only recently started playing, I'd be hesitant to commit to a fixed height endpin as there is a strong possibility that the height you settle on in the long run might not be the height you have it at now. I know I certainly tried different endpin lengths as I practiced different techniques and developed my posture. I like the option of shortening it to play on a stool too. I'd be more inclined to upgrade your whole endpin assembly to a higher quality one which won't slip, then look at the wooden ones further down the line.
On my own bass I have a steel tube type endpin like the one just below the wooden endpins on the page you linked. It has never slipped and has the benefit of being completely adjustable rather than in steps. Usefully, it will also hold a 5/8" hardwood dowel, allowing me to try different materials with minimal expense. I found that a walnut dowel does improve the bottom end and projection somewhat, though the steel tube has a little more brightness and definition.

I've got one of Ben Bastin's wooden endpins, a walnut one. I got it to replace a rather wobbly 8mm endpin. When it arrived I swapped back and forth a few times between old and new pin to try and pick up the difference. It seemed to me to be a big improvement, a much more solid and focussed sound. My stepson (who does some music production and has quite good ears) agreed that the wooden pin was a clear improvement.

The constant height is great, and I just went with the general consensus of nut at eyebrow height, which seems fine; it would be easy to cut the wooden pin down a bit if it turned out to be too long.

You could also just hang on to your old metal pin for times when you wanted a different height (e.g. sitting down, low ceilings etc).

The bass also feels a lot more solid although that's mainly because the old 8mm pin was so wobbly at full extension (I'm quite tall).

I struggle to believe that there would be a big difference between different timber species, although I would be happy to be proved wrong...

Edited by JoeEvans

[quote name='JoeEvans' timestamp='1446498979' post='2899900']

The constant height is great, and I just went with the general consensus of nut at eyebrow height, which seems fine; it would be easy to cut the wooden pin down a bit if it turned out to be too long.

You could also just hang on to your old metal pin for times when you wanted a different height (e.g. sitting down, low ceilings etc).

The bass also feels a lot more solid although that's mainly because the old 8mm pin was so wobbly at full extension (I'm quite tall).

[/quote]

Yep, I'm tall as well - Ben's endpin really helps things feel a lot more solid alright. Maybe that also helps the sound indirectly (i.e. you can focus much more on playing the bass rather than worrying about wobbles)

Yes, I have one in Walnut and I'm very pleased with it - I will also be ordering a second one for my upgraded DB (different diameter pin) once I've settled on the correct height and determined if I will play seated or not. You can easily retain your old adjustable pin in case...

As for sourcing elsewhere - I'd rather support and keep the custom in UK and in the Basschat community if the difference in cost is marginal! They are very well made, so you can be assured of the quality.

[quote name='philparker' timestamp='1446560579' post='2900301']
Yes, I have one in Walnut and I'm very pleased with it - I will also be ordering a second one for my upgraded DB (different diameter pin) once I've settled on the correct height and determined if I will play seated or not. You can easily retain your old adjustable pin in case...

As for sourcing elsewhere - I'd rather support and keep the custom in UK and in the Basschat community if the difference in cost is marginal! They are very well made, so you can be assured of the quality.
[/quote]

After a quick search I've realised Ben is a BCer, that's who I'll order from then. I'm pretty settled on my playing height as I've been experimenting with different heights for a while and my current height offers the most comfort and playability. Now the difficult choice of whether to go for oak or walnut.

Have been thinking about getting a wooden endpin from Ben since they were first mentioned on the site. Sadly, I'm really experimental about endpin height, and am still fiddling around with it. I've actually replaced my pin recently with something that goes a bit longer - feels like beating around the bush, but I want to find a height I can settle on for more than 6 months before getting it set in wood.

Another +1 for Ben's endpins here. Even on a dirt-cheap bass it made a noticeable improvement in tone, plus you have all the aforementioned convenience points.
By the way, when I say "noticeable improvement in tone" I don't just mean noticeable to me in a good acoustic environment, I mean other musicians commented on how much better it was sounding when playing it in the pub. :¬)

[quote name='blinddrew' timestamp='1446665512' post='2901363']
Another +1 for Ben's endpins here. Even on a dirt-cheap bass it made a noticeable improvement in tone, plus you have all the aforementioned convenience points.
By the way, when I say "noticeable improvement in tone" I don't just mean noticeable to me in a good acoustic environment, I mean other musicians commented on how much better it was sounding when playing it in the pub. :¬)
[/quote]

There's mine covered then.

[quote name='ljbass' timestamp='1446722738' post='2901708']
Do you have to use any plug if you travel with the bass? Switch the wooden one for the original endpin?
[/quote]

I stick my old metal one in when the bass is in transit and swap to the wooden one at the gig.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='xzodar' timestamp='1450738304' post='2935451']
Can I ask a stupid question?

How do you remove the original metal end pin. The one on my bass (Thomann model 22) pulls out to its max extension and then goes no further.

Am I missing something obvious? :-)

Pete.
[/quote]

I had to cut mine with a hacksaw. Extend it to the furthest point and cut as close to the body as you can, then push the bar back through into the body and fish it out with a magnet. Or, if you have the skill, guide a piece of string with a loop over the end pin inside the body before cutting and pull it our that way.

Just seen this thread and wanted to thank everyone for their kind words. Very pleased everyone is happy with their end pins.

I am in the process of updating my site, but am offering two more wood. Sycamore and Iroko.

Also if anyone does want their end pin staining I can do that too, especially the lighter woods like Sycamore and Ash.

Thanks again everyone.

Ben

• 1 month later...

Having tried Tom's Duke with his Walnut endpin I'll be getting one for my own db once I've fettled one or two bits on it, probably oak as she's even sounding but of mellow tone...first job is to repair her current endpin and then try her with some spiro strings to get a better idea of what she sounds like to know which wood to go for :)