Why become a member? ×

Being the "house" band at a jam night. What does it involve ?

Les

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1446461021' post='2899446']
All good stuff, thank you all.

So am I right in thinking I don't need to supply a bass (other than for my own use) ?

Les
[/quote]

You need to make it a rule as I'd say it might be expected by some.
Personally, I don't use the house bass, but plenty might expect to.

You don't say how much you are asking to be paid... but since you are
providing the entertainment for the evening or the ability to ...then the Pub should pay
a house band fee.

Too many LL's might get the idea this is a cheapo music night option on a 'down night' and if these things
are going to be a success...then they need to be something people will go out and see, so the band needs
to be able to be decent..

A jam is also about trying something and knowing that no one cares if it all goes wrong.

There's drummer in a tribute band who comes along with his guitar and he sings old R&B songs.

I've also seen several guys who don't sing in their bands get up and front the house band.

The house band members usually need to be able to play most things...but most people's band sets are house
band sets...for obvious reasons. :lol:

Depends who the bandleader is...you should certainly know a few blues styles and be able to swing and shuffle.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1446454161' post='2899395']
I used to do this quite regularly. As already said it's a case of providing bass amp, cab, cables and perhaps a tuner. The norm around here is for everyone to bring their instruments but there have been occasions when someone has asked if they can use my bass. Well I'm a bit particular about who uses my basses so I used to take along my pink Jazz just in case.

[/quote]what's wrong with the pink jazz??

Edited by Shonks

I used to dep for a few weeks each year then did the house band full time for a year or so before LL came in one day to tell us he ''couldn't afford'' to pay us any more but was happy for us all to turn up and keep it running for nothing! We told him that some die hards would probably keep it going for a while but it would only be a matter of time before it descended in chaos and fizzled out. This turned out to be exactly what happened, though by then the LL had been shown the door and the suspicion was he was still being given a budget to run the jam sessions but was just trousering the cash instead of passing it on to the band. Interestingly the next people who ran the pub ended up doing a moonlight flit after emptying the tills and fruit machines.

Edited by KevB

My only paid gigs at the moment are House bassist at Jam Nights so I look forward to them and it's always a pleasant surprise when someone new gets up who can actually play and/or sing in time and in tune!
Slight cynicism aside, I've learnt lots from those I've played with in the House Bands: as like in an earlier reply, you get told ' its a 2 bar in B flat' and you are off...

Or 3 down... and in on the 5 and a swinger..

It teaches you to be on your toes and be confident that you can make the track
work even though you haven't a clue to the drum part until the first bar..

As with depping and busking..the trick is not have people realise this is the first
time you've even heard of the track...let alone know it.

It is good building blocks as you'd be surprised how many bass players in gigging bands
don't recognise very well used patterns...and therefore can't busk it without
someone telling them what the next chord is... even 12 bars (1,4,5)

I’ve done loads of these, including a few at biggish blues festivals (always good as generally only players on the bill are invited up).

It helps to know a few different types of blues and a few blues standards, including those that vary a bit from a straight I-IV-V (Stormy Monday Blues, Thrill Is Gone, etc) as well as a few related tunes that are not strictly blues – Chain Of Fools, Proud Mary, Rocky Mountain Way, I Shot The Sheriff & Long Train Running immediately come to mind. A few classic rock Led Zep, AC/DC, Bad Co songs often get an outing in many pub jams.

How good a jam is largely depends on the calibre of players getting up, but certainly in pubs there is an expectation that you will let a few guys who don’t normally play out have a go! Playing in the house band with all types of different musicians standing in can certainly sharpen up your playing and if there are a couple of decent players can be great fun.

I should say that in all the jam sessions that I have done I have [b]always[/b] been expected to provide a house bass, as well as an amp. This is the same with all jam sessions around here and I have even played a Fodera that was being used as the house bass. I have never had a problem with anyone abusing my gear in anyway…

Edited by peteb

I was bassist in a house band for a while. I had to provide the bass rig & guitar lead, but no bass or anything. I wouldn't provide a bass for anyone to play, but if someone asked to borrow one I wouldn't mind (providing they seem ok & not a pissed local!). I turned up to my first jam without a bass just to check it out, but ended up being encouraged to play & given a bass.

For house band duties, we had to provide the backline, start the night off, be around if there were people needing help with the guitar (or needing turning down) & finish the night off.

We were also paid for this, only a small fee (think it was £100ish for the whole band) but it covers expenses for the night.

The only downside is we were a house band, so on quite a few occasions we'd get up & play 2 - 3 numbers, sit aside for the whole night then play 2 - 3 numbers whilst everyone was saying goodbye & walking out. I wanted to jam with others, not the band that I played with all the time.

We were also blamed if things were getting too loud. Usually an issue with guitarists, but you're held responsible - even when it's the person playing that just needs to turn the volume on their guitar down.

I love jam nights though, they're great fun - they've taken me from a bedroom bass player to a confident bassist, from blues rock bands to depping for a covers band with no practice. Without jams, I'd be nowhere.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1446540279' post='2900052']
the odd singer/songwriter on acoustic guitar, who generally plays pretty rubbish songs what they wrote
[/quote]

This is 90% of the London music scene at the moment... for every proper music venue that closes down, three vegan ethnic peace cafes open up with a tiny stage in the corner, from which a bearded man softly whinges about something or other over a few chords... :mellow:

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1446540528' post='2900053']

This is 90% of the London music scene at the moment... for every proper music venue that closes down, three vegan ethnic peace cafes open up with a tiny stage in the corner, from which a bearded man softly whinges about something or other over a few chords... :mellow:
[/quote]

The 'Sheeran Ripple Effect' I believe it's known as. Has its place, but not 90% of venues. Cheaper and less hassle of course than bands - mic and a DI, job done. Plus if course, if you run a multi artist night, each performer's friends and family turn up, so it's good for getting a reasonable turn out too.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1446681149' post='2901506']
That's an unusual Jazz bridge pick up?! Nice colour bass.
[/quote]this is a Fender USA 5 string jazz bass.originally a metallic green which reminded me of a Nissan Micra, one of which ploughed into me on the A127 writing my motor off.
Had to change the colour, and wanted something a little unique. Did the colour change about about 15 years ago i think.
The pickup isn't unusual, what you can see is a regular Bartolini bridge pickup, but hiding behind it is a real musicman stingray pickup.
this is my JazzRay custom....yeah baby...!

Edited by Shonks

I do it. It will provide invaluable experience to your playing.

I gained lots of awareness. I learned to listen to everyone else and fit in.
The other thing I learnt is how to read chord charts and start impromptu jams.

There's lots of crap aswell. You'll end up playing with sh*t people in a sh*t song for way to long because no-one can end a song. That happens to me loads, still.

Definately worthwhile. The rate at which you learn will slow down after six months or so but you'll learn loads