Why become a member? ×

Help me find this before I go to Maruszcyk

Fisheth

So I'm on the hunt for a lovely new Precision bass, as I'm loving the tones that I get from my more expensive P-Basses, but not the weight. So I was on the hunt for something similar but without the weight or the almost 1K pricetag (Which a lot for a poor student like me!)

What I'm after is:

Slabbed precision body
Maple fingerboard
Either dots or black block/Mother Of Pearl inlays
Green/Red/Something that isn't black
A neck similar to my Harris P Bass (How would I measure this and get diameters etc?)
Another pickup in there. So either a P+J or a P+Musicman

So anyone got any ideas? The big F doesn't seem to do anything that I'd be interested in, at least not these days. So thought I'd ask you all here! :)

Edited by Fisheth

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1446402140' post='2899127']
Not sure if they have maple as an option.
[/quote]

They do indeed , here is mine:

[URL=http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/Chris7914/media/2015-03-12%2017.16.49_zpsjivhjl1x.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a588/Chris7914/2015-03-12%2017.16.49_zpsjivhjl1x.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1446406257' post='2899177']
go to speak to adrian, his quality is second to none... and he'll build whatever you need for NO money.
[/quote]

There's a few emails on the home page, guess I'm sending Adrian an email then?

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1446406257' post='2899177']
go to speak to adrian, his quality is second to none... and he'll build whatever you need for NO money.
[/quote]

Might just do that, there's a few emails on the website. I'm assuming Adrian's is the one to use?

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1446407604' post='2899186']
Might just do that, there's a few emails on the website. I'm assuming Adrian's is the one to use?
[/quote]

Just the info@public-peace one worked fine for me.

And I would also fully support going to get a Maruszczyk. Had mine a couple of months and used it in band practice and a few gigs in that time and I love it. There has not been a moment when I have felt I should have purchased something else. Given you clearly know just what you want from the bass too it makes even more sense to do it as a custom order. Also, it is worth asking Adrian some advice about pick-up brands, pre-amps etc as he has some really good advice and pointed me in the direction of some that I would not have normally been aware of, and yet were well worth looking at.

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1446494355' post='2899853']
Do what that inner bass demon is telling you.... I denied that voice for months and eventually caved in. Treat yourself to a custom built bass you deserve it!! :) :) :) :)
[/quote]

Been denying it for a while cause of other bits of GAS, but I can't afford it right now sadly, with paying for rent with a rehearsal room and other stuff, so it'll be a couple of months before I can even start to think about it.

But it'll be worth it, I'm sure.

• 2 weeks later...

[size=4]Maruszcyk basses look absolutely lovely! Though I've never played one myself, there's a lot of love for them on here
and it seems you get a lot of bass for your money, given that you are specifying exactly what you want, and they're high quality parts. However, that can still be a lot of money for a student (or anyone else with not too much cash tbh)

I have a US P, and it's a lovely bass, so I know what you mean. But I also have a Squier Classic Vibe 60's bass, and that is lovely too
Now I know some will baulk at my comments here, but I honestly can't see, feel, or hear much difference between the US P and the Squier CV !!! if anything, the US is very slightly lighter in weight, with very very slightly more well defined tones, esp at the lower end - but there really isn't much in it

In fact, I had a Squier CV 60's P bass, and sold it to make way for my US P - instant regret! So, after a few months of pining for it
I bought another - and you know what? I'm glad I did :) So, my advice if you aint got loads of dosh, is to seek out a CV 60's P second-hand (the newer CV 70's P is also absolutely stunning BTW) and maybe upgrade the pickups - Entwistle PBXN's are great, and cheap! Or you could get someone to rout out the body, and put an additional pickup in, eg. P/J or MM stlye, again, using Entwistle pickups
[/size]
[size=4]You'd have an awesome bass, for not too much outlay, and not have to feel so precious about gigging a grands worth of instrument. Good luck, and let us know what you decide. You could, of course order that Maruszcyk, and be poor - but make me jealous lol

EDIT: I know - I ignored the "slabbed body" comment really ;)[/size]

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1446401666' post='2899118']
Yeah thought this would be the response, but I just wanted to see what other options were available before I went and shot the email off.
[/quote]

They look good in the pics...but I'd want to get my hands on one...so see if you can do that if there isn't someone on here close, who is willing to do that..?

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1447345365' post='2906926']
I ordered mine blind simply because I trust WoTs appraisal of them, largely because we both came from playing early 70's Fenders.

Si
[/quote]

Yeah I'm trusting the forum with this judgement too, I see a lot of experienced BC'rs recommending them lately.

Good luck, I'm not saying that buyers aren't delighted with them... and maybe for good reason, I'd just want to see one and play one.

There are very very few basses I'd buy blind and maybe only if I could easily flip it for the same money.
That is a general thing... not aimed at this company.

I'm thinking about a new Fender American Deluxe J5..and I've played them, but I'd want to be able to return it if I didn't like it
as I don't believe they are all the same....hence wanting to see each bass on its merits, but that is just me