Why become a member? ×

November Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

Skol303

[color=#800000][size=5][b]November’s Composition Challenge is now underway![/b][/size][/color]

[size=5]Here’s the image for your inspiration, chosen by last month's winner, [b]JellyKnees[/b]… [/size]

[size=5]And here are the rules 'n' stuff…[/size]

By entering the competition you agree to the Basschat [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules"]Terms & Conditions[/url] and [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/3178-forum-guidelines/"]Forum Guidelines[/url], which are designed to help ensure the forum remains free of offensive and/or illegal behaviour and material. In a nutshell:

[b]1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive[/b]. If your track contains explicit lyrics, for example, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.

[b]2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track[/b] (ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat accept no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership, which are solely the responsibility of competition entrants. If we spot any breaches of copyright then your track will be removed from the competition.

[b]3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition[/b], taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating!

If you have any questions about the competition rules, just ask.

[color=#800000][size=5][b]The deadline for entries is midnight on Monday 23rd November.[/b][/size][/color]

Edited by Skol303

OK , I'm getting a feeling , earthiness, nature, history, old tales in the telling .............and chainsaws

So a folk based ballad on the destructive nature of modern machinery then :lol:

As is the norm , please don't expect the finished article to be anything like the initial idea was supposed to be :blush: , but yes , I am beginning the beginning :D

Ok lads and gals :) I don't know if the rules say anything about how short a piece can be, but I either have attention deficit disorder or am just a dummy learning how to do this new-to-me-recording-songs-stuff :blink: Again I enter with a short piece but will try with time to make things longer I promise :ph34r:

Any way, like last month's art picture here too I approach this sculpture from the sculptors point of view/feeling. I do like art but I mostly enjoy the part when creating the art form be it a painting, sculpture or a tune. In this case I see this sculpture being made with a hammer and wood chisel (no chainsaw in my imagination). The sculptor is dancing around the tree trunk chiseling away piece by piece to release this monster into its new form!

[b]NOTE ; I will enter with another tune THIS TUNE IS NOT MY ENTRY !!![/b] :)

'Sculpting the Monster Piece by Piece'
[url="https://soundcloud.com/papa-dusko/sculpting-the-monster-piece-by-piece"]https://soundcloud.c...-piece-by-piece[/url]

Keep em coming!

Edited by Che

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1446414996' post='2899276']
Nobody gave me a joint when I won a few months ago. What's goin on. :D
[/quote]

:lol:

[i]...caught out by lackadaisical cut'n'paste. Now fixed.[/i]

[quote name='Che' timestamp='1446415036' post='2899277']
And here is the first entry for the month November!
[/quote]

Well done Che! It looks like we have a hot contender for Dad3353's usual award for "Early Bird Entrant". Good job ;)

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1446463744' post='2899469']...
Well done Che! It looks like we have a hot contender for Dad3353's usual award for "Early Bird Entrant". Good job ;)
[/quote]

Well done, indeed, Che; contend away, my lad, contend away. :D
My cogitations are coming to an end, though; the results will not be long in gracing the sound waves. A fair bit of rumination required for this one. No, still no hot disco beat; in fact, quite the opposite. Maybe this evening (unless I radically change my mind and start again..! :blush: ) ..?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1446472378' post='2899566']
No, still no hot disco beat; in fact, quite the opposite.
[/quote]

I've made a start and for a change, there is also no hot disco beat - tis 85bpm!
So far we've got slightly strange (shurely shome mishtake?) mutant blues.
And I'm debating whether an ominous chant (obviously recorded from our bathroom at the bottom of a well) would help or hinder...
Also, just how far out of key can I go with the keyboards until someone complains to Trading Standards?

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1446473158' post='2899586']
I've made a start and for a change, there is also no hot disco beat - tis 85bpm! [color=#ff0000][b]Snap..![/b][/color]
So far we've got slightly strange (shurely shome mishtake?) mutant blues. [color=#ff0000][b]Blues, no, but strange..? Quite..![/b][/color]
And I'm debating whether an ominous chant (obviously recorded from our bathroom at the bottom of a well) would help or hinder... [color=#ff0000][b]Snap..![/b][/color]
Also, just how far out of key can I go with the keyboards until someone complains to Trading Standards? [color=#ff0000][b]Keyboards..? [b]No[/b][/b][/color][color=#ff0000][b]; bagpipes, here..![/b][/color] :o
[/quote]

Spooky..! :unsure:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1446463744' post='2899469']

:lol:

[i]...caught out by lackadaisical cut'n'paste. Now fixed.[/i]

[/quote]

Damn, and there was me thinking I'd won a special prize... Ok, I got inspired last night and have started and possibly nearly finished something already. Tiredness and a big yawn were my literal starting points, but it seems to have morphed into a desire to escape the winter darkness and head off into the sun for regeneration and rebirth. Perhaps it was the fog and gloom last night??? Slow and bluesy, chilled and atmospheric is what I'm going for...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1446518474' post='2900008']
Here we go, then; here's my interpretation of the photo ...

[url="https://soundcloud.com/dad3353/elegy-written-for-an-allergic-stump"]Elegy Written For An Allergic Stump ...[/url]

Full details on the host site, so I shan't repeat here. Enjoy. B)
[/quote]

Excellent. Great take on an unusual image.
In all the time this comp has been running, this for me,
is one of the most, different and truly original pieces.
Very good imagination on picking out a different dimension to the picture.
Top marks Dad!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1446518474' post='2900008']
Here we go, then; here's my interpretation of the photo ...

[url="https://soundcloud.com/dad3353/elegy-written-for-an-allergic-stump"]Elegy Written For An Allergic Stump ...[/url]

Full details on the host site, so I shan't repeat here. Enjoy. B)
[/quote]
Wow.... That's a bit excellent.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1446663055' post='2901331']
I've got a song in my head since I saw the picture but I can't think what it's got to do with the picture. It's about a heart of stone???????
[/quote]

Well, under all that grass and earth, that thing's got to have a heart made of [i]something[/i], and stone's as good as anything, I'd say. :mellow:
I suppose it's going to be a [i]rock [/i]song, then, eh..? :rolleyes: :P

(My entry has got children dancing in a ring. Can you see 'em in the picture..? Can you heck..! Just sing your song, lad, never mind the mundane details..! B) )

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1446664541' post='2901353']
never mind the mundane details..! B) )
[/quote]

I'll take that advice..
Soon as I saw the picture I've had "East German fairy tail" in my head. But after some research it appears I am very much mistaken :unsure:

So with your advice I'll make up my own 'traditional' tale.....!

Edited by fingers211