Why become a member? ×

Heavy, but sound awesome bargains!

chrisanthony1211

Whilst bass trawling through eBay yesterday, It struck me that the introduction of lightweight combos and cabs has led to some fantastic bargains out there, if you don't mind lugging about a bit of weight. The SWR Redhead and super Redhead cheap as chips and sound fantastic, and not much sounds better (or louder) than a Peavy Bam which you can pick up for about £300 which is crazy when you think that they retailed at over£1500 when new!
The heavy Mesa combo's like the venture, carbine and boogie buster seem to hold their prices a little better, what other "heavy but sound awesome" bargains are out there?

Maybe not bargain of the century, but I was pleased with my as-new Peavey VB-2 that I picked up for under half its RRP a couple of months ago. When the Peavey warehouse closed and they auctioned everything off, a bloke bought one as an investment and held on to it hoping that it'd become insanely desirable and pay for his retirement. By the time I saw it advertised and bought it from him, he was happy just to get the cupboard space and his investment back!

Said it before and I'll say it again, Peavey Firebass! Massive in all respects with a tiny price. Can be had for around £100, white face version commands a slightly higher price.

Wish I'd never sold mine and I ended up replacing it with a Pro700 (£70!!!!) which is very similar but not quite a Firebass!

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1446211211' post='2897762']
Awaiting the arrival of an Ampeg SVT3 Pro, in an ally flight case, that had a BIN price so low that it took me all of 3 seconds to blink and then click the button
[/quote]

Saw that one, thought about it and then decided I have two full bass rigs (big and small). I resisted. Congrats on good purchase. It is getting to the point that you can have a 'good' bass rig lying around in your various haunts now they are cheap as chips :)