Why become a member? ×

Where Have I Been All This Time?

Pete Academy

If anyone's remotely interested, it can be explained in one word - ALCOHOL.
I've lost my relationship, my house, my band Nearly Dan, which has been going from strength to strength, a band which I conceived and named.
I grew up playing in the 70s era. Drink and drugs were the order of the day. From about 16, I eschewed all drugs but drank constantly. My doctor has been on to me for years to take a detox, but I thought I could do it myself. It doesn't
work, as one or two pints is never enough. I began to augment my six cans of super strength lager with small bottles of vodka. One day I got caught at work. The manager, also my friend, had no choice but to dismiss me.
That was it. I went straight to my GP and he booked me into a hospital. I lost my mobility. Nurses had to support me as I couldn't walk. A gym instructor had to teach me to walk again. I
slipped over six times and had daily injections up my arse cheeks. But we all had four good meals a day and as well as my yellow face and eye colour my blood sugar and blood pressure returned back to normal.
All the doctors said if I had another alcoholic drink, it might kill them. I've gotten used to fruit squash and seen that a lot of players that don't drink on gigs.

My advice is: Don't worry about not drinking and save your life instead.

My stay in the hospital lasted for three weeks - and it goes quickly.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Edited by Pete Academy

I assisted one of my good mates at work to get help. He was in the very same boat as you. At the time he called me all the b'stards under the sun but now he has overcome the problem he thanks me for lots of things he could have lost.

Well done to you.....day by day and keep the faith 👍

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1445990790' post='2896057']
All the doctors said if I had another alcoholic drink, it might kill them. I've gotten used to fruit squash and seen that a lot of players that don't drink on gigs.

My advice is: Don't worry about not drinking and save your life instead.
[/quote]

Glad to see you back - i was only thinking a day or two ago that I hadn't seen you posting for a while.

Please keep that advice in mind - one friend of mine didn't and had his final, fatal heart attack a couple of years ago.

DUDE! Sorry to hear of your troubles Pete, addictions take a heavy toll :( I'm glad that you're well on the way to turning it round and admitting to your problem/troubles in such a public way is certainly a big step it getting back on track; kudos. Positive vibes from Ez Towers.

Jeez Pete, That sounds one ugly time.
Obviously knew you were having problems with the band..as you took a 'break' from it...but can understand it all now.

I also kind of get that some people pursue a destructive course (my words) and it is very very hard to break that.

A friend of mine is there atm.

Glad you are back... and hope you are looking onwards.

All the best

As somebody who has worked in the Drug & Alcohol field for nearly 20 years I recognise how difficult it must have been to announce this to one and all. I commend your bravery and honesty.

This is the beginning of a new journey - an ongoing and difficult one with no guarantee of success. The message in my signature is pertinent to those in your situation. I suggest you get in contact with your local D&A service and get some support.

Good luck..