Why become a member? ×

Cubase on PC.

kulabula

I use Cubase on PC and to a lesser extent on Mac.
I have had no problems on either platform. it ran more efficiently on PC but since the Pro 8 upgrade it is supposed to be a more level playing field, I only use Mac for recordings so I couldn't tell you if it is true.
Compared to Pro tools 8 on PC Cubase was more stable and I could use a lot more plug-ins.
Hope that helps

I use Cubase 8 Pro (for work) on PC and have no problems on W10,
in fact running two PC machines over a network using VE5 Pro.
My boys use Mac and it seems to have little niggles, annoying,
but nothing drastic.

With both, if you have a good spec machine (i7 etc), Cubase Pro 8 will run just fine.
I have been using Cubase since the early days and the current version is extremely stable
and should purr along nicely.

[quote name='kulabula' timestamp='1445886876' post='2895095']
I'm going for elements 8 , as I'm only dabbling. It should run on my home pc just fine hopefully. Not only am I a born again bass player (formerly a drummist for 'ahem' years) but I've only had a computer since April. I know I know ;)
[/quote]

Out of interest, what Audio interface will you be using?

[quote name='kulabula' timestamp='1445887790' post='2895110']
I haven't bought one yet but I've seen a Roland one that looks really good, and also a focusrite one. I've several friends in the industry that use focusrite gear and like it.
[/quote]

The Steinberg UR-22 is a really good fit for Cubase, always great reviews.
Integrates with Cubase. Just plug the USB lead in and away you go.
Cubase recognises and routes the channels for you.
Also zero latency hardware monitoring, so you can run at high buffer (more plugs and synths).
Very stable drivers, worth considering.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1445890083' post='2895129']

Also zero latency hardware monitoring, so you can run at high buffer (more plugs and synths).
[/quote]

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1445890083' post='2895129']

[/quote]

Cool thanks

Top tip for anyone getting into DAW / computer recording: Get to know your keyboard shortcuts - you'll ultimately spend less time trying to find stuff on the screen and more time playing.

I've used Cubase on MAC and PC, and the only real difference as far as I recall (not used a PC for a while) is that Windows used to lose USB drivers pretty regularly, and the Mac seldom did.

I am thinking of getting Cubase Elements 8 just to practice recording bass tracks on songs imported from iTunes (as a learning /practice exercise) and maybe recording a few bits and pieces. Would Cubase be suitable for this and would a relative technophobe like me be able to use it??

[quote name='kulabula' timestamp='1445886876' post='2895095']
I'm going for elements 8 , as I'm only dabbling. It should run on my home pc just fine hopefully. Not only am I a born again bass player (formerly a drummist for 'ahem' years) but I've only had a computer since April. I know I know ;)
[/quote]
Andy - if you get it give me a shout and I'll pop up and see how it works, as I've been thinking of getting [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Elements 8 as well...[/font][/color]

If you have a Mac, GarageBand is a great package and more powerful than you'd think. If home recording, would recommend ProTools every time. Not the greatest nor easiest for midi but superb for recording. Can pick up an mbox 2 pro and pt8 for around £75 on the usual auction sites.

I use Cubase on PC. Mine is an old version (5) but it does the job with no problems on an old Windows XP laptop. I also use a Zoom r24 which is good as a scratchpad to get the audio down and then link it into Cubase for final processing etc.
Reaper is also really good.
But more recently I have dabbled with Behringer iStudio interface for ipad and use Garageband. Reasonable results and very easy to use for getting ideas down.