Why become a member? ×

Precision Bass doesnt sound right

bumnote

Hi

I have always had a precision and a few months ago, i bought a second one, a cij 62 re issue, which is standard, except i replaced the pick up with a usa vintage style one

There appears to be a sort of unpleasant overtone? to the notes, the primary note is there, but there is an underlying sound to the note. It sounds like a cross between a hiss and fret buzz

Its not the amp because it happens on other amps, and doesnt happen on the same amp with different guitars.
its not overloading the preamp
Its not fret noise, and it happens on open and fretted notes
the pick up is not too close to the strings according to the fender spec. If anything it could be closer
I cant see anything wrong with the wiring
The logical next step is to swap out the pick up/pots and caps but i will have to do that from my other bass which is a bit of a fag.
Before I do thaty, anyone got any bright ideas?

[quote name='bumnote' post='279677' date='Sep 8 2008, 01:30 PM']Hi

I have always had a precision and a few months ago, i bought a second one, a cij 62 re issue, which is standard, except i replaced the pick up with a usa vintage style one

There appears to be a sort of unpleasant overtone? to the notes, the primary note is there, but there is an underlying sound to the note. It sounds like a cross between a hiss and fret buzz

Its not the amp because it happens on other amps, and doesnt happen on the same amp with different guitars.
its not overloading the preamp
Its not fret noise, and it happens on open and fretted notes
the pick up is not too close to the strings according to the fender spec. If anything it could be closer
I cant see anything wrong with the wiring
The logical next step is to swap out the pick up/pots and caps but i will have to do that from my other bass which is a bit of a fag.
Before I do thaty, anyone got any bright ideas?[/quote]

Not that I know an answer, but a question that I'm sure will help is did you get that noise problem BEFORE you changed the PUP??

Sounds to me like your new pickups might have stronger magnets in them and they're pulling on the string, causing it to warble out of tune with the note you're playing.

I had similar problems with a set of Kent Armstrong pickups. They were so powerful, I just couldn't get them far enough away from the string.

Dose it happen on all the notes, or mainly on the higher notes (ie - so when the string is pressed down at the 19th fret then it's close to the the pickup then when you play a low note).

Might be worth keeping everything else the same and re-install your old pickups, try to isolate the problem.

Thanks for your suggestions

I dont remember it being a problem with the original pick up but i swapped the old one out almost as soon as I got it.

I originally used a raven labs pbr preamp but it didnt soung great so i took it out again

I did wonder about magnet strength, and how close it was to the strings, which is why I checked the fender specs

I must admit, i didnt think of the strings, which are rotos, I bought a few sets at a music show a while back. I must admit, I put a set on a lakland jerry scheff and was distinctly underwhelmed and put on some jazz flats instead.

I dont think its earthing or sheilding as the bass is pretty quiet when not being played, although I have got some copper sheilding tape from a project so i might put that in anyway.

I think im going to strip it down, and maybe swap the pickups out of the other one, keeping the same distance from the strings.

[quote name='dub' post='281043' date='Sep 10 2008, 12:46 PM']Have you replaced your lead? Even new ones can cause problems.
It could be a bad solder joint.[/quote]

I normally use a samson wireless but I have used a lead. My other basses dont have the same problem. I have tried to eliminate all the variables so active and passive basses, different amps, and the only constant is the bass

I need to get an hour or so to strip it right back and do some substitutions

The pickup springs can do it too, found that recently when using sponge under and springs, raised it up on the sponge till the spring was loose and it made noise.

Also funny was Giant Clown's rhythmic click that only happened when he was using his practice amp around the house, and only sometimes. Turned out to be his watch which he takes off when playing seriously.

Is the truss rod a bit loose? If you damp the strings and rap lightly with your knuckle on the back of the neck you might hear a rattle. I've come across this on a bass and an acoustic. They just sounded a bit "wrong" though it was kinda hard to define how...
If you only recently got the bass the previous owner may have faffed about with the rod.

Is the noise present when the bass is not plugged in?

If it is then the problem lies with frets,nut, saddle, neck relief. If it's only presnt when youre plugging in then hell breaks loose, so many things that go wrong.

I have a MIJ 62 as well and it is very quiet which lead me to raise the pickups so that the volume is increased. This, in turn, produced a very electronic sound with a lot of overtones as one of the guys previously said, due to a stronger pull by the magnets since the strings got closer to the pups. If you got a new set of american pickups, which are hotter and have stronger magnets, first thing to do is send the pups back a bit. If you notice equal decrease in volume of fundamental and the Overtones then the problem is someplace else. If only the noise is decreased by lowering the pups then youre on it.