Why become a member? ×

Sweet Child o Mine

Nicko

We have to accept its almost a Mustang Sally on the covers circuit but no point in playing it if your not going to try surely ? Some will notice of the drums and bass aren't doing some of the little joint fills, and if you choose a song you'd expect the other members to learn it well .

Feel for you though, I did my time playing songs I wasn't keen on

Edited by lojo

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1445892938' post='2895184']
Someone's mentioned chorus before. What's the trick to that great sound?
[/quote]

A chorus pedal should sort it.....

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1445865616' post='2894802']

The whole of the song depends how good your drummer is IMHO
If you have a drummer who can learn all the stabs etc at the end of the verses etc, and you can as well, it sounds so tight. -
[/quote]

Initially thought apart from intro, wasn't that interested, and it was in the set for the lead guitarist. But having learnt it, I love playing it live. It is all down to nailing the timing from the flowing verses to the tranisitions and the final unison riff in the outro. Agree with Gapiro, it's vital drummer learns it too. Take it as a challenge to play something you don't like.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1445864922' post='2894789']
I have reluctantly accepted requests from other band members to include this song in the set list, even though I think it stinks. I can work our whether the bass line is good, bad or indifferent. It appears to me to be very simple root structures and what appears to be random passing notes. Or have I misunderstood?

Because I dislike it so much I haven't learnt it properly - that would involve listening to it - but no one seemed to notice I was freestyling the passing notes.
[/quote]

It could be a whole lot worse - it could be "Moondance" or "Alright Now". Now I love Free & I don't really mind "Alright Now" - it's certainly not one of their best & I think they did some far better songs but it's OK. Trouble is It's just become so cliched now. As for "Moondance" the less said the better!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1445879813' post='2895001']
I do it on one of my covers bands. It's good fun - a nice line, good song, and the punters love it.
[/quote]
This. If you're in a remotely popular covers band, why are you NOT playing this?
Along with all the other stuff punters love? That's what you're paid for!
I've played it innumerable times, and still enjoy the song and the inevitable joy from a well-lubricated audience!

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1446019194' post='2896128']
This. If you're in a remotely popular covers band, why are you NOT playing this?
Along with all the other stuff punters love? That's what you're paid for!
I've played it innumerable times, and still enjoy the song and the inevitable joy from a well-lubricated audience!
[/quote]

It hasn't been on tour setlist because we don't do classic rock. We sell ourselves as alternative and Indie.
I agree the punters would probably love it, in the same way they'd probably love a few Beatles songs, Hotel California and some Creedance Clearwater. .
We're paid to give them a good time, there's no reason why we cant play stuff they know and love which isn't sad cliched pub rock.

At our last gig we had 250 enthusiastic punters. Even the door staff complimented us on the mix of songs in our set. We did hear a few requests though:

Johnnie Be Goode

Sweet Child o Mine

Basket Case

Do you know and Kasabian?

Can you play any Bon Jovi?

I think sad cliched pub rock is alive and well. No one ever said the punters had to have taste.

Really don't understand any of the negative comments about this song.

The bass intro is a fundamental part of the song and it's rare that we ever get to play anything like that.

The song is an absolute guaranteed floor filler

The guitar solo is an air guitarists dream

I guarantee that every time you play it the whole pub/club etc will sing along to every word

Surely that can't be all bad