Why become a member? ×

Sweet Child o Mine

Nicko

I have reluctantly accepted requests from other band members to include this song in the set list, even though I think it stinks. I can work our whether the bass line is good, bad or indifferent. It appears to me to be very simple root structures and what appears to be random passing notes. Or have I misunderstood?

Because I dislike it so much I haven't learnt it properly - that would involve listening to it - but no one seemed to notice I was freestyling the passing notes.

Other than the intro, the main body of the song is root notes with incidentals.

When it first came out, I had the album & the book of score to go with it. Used to be able to play the whole album from start to finish on the bass.

Edited by xgsjx

Intro is very different, but easy enough to learn.... and there are good tabs - eg http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/g/guns_n_roses/sweet_child_o_mine_btab.htm

The whole of the song depends how good your drummer is IMHO
If you have a drummer who can learn all the stabs etc at the end of the verses etc, and you can as well, it sounds so tight. -
eg
End of Verse 1 - you have the 4 note run up to the octave, then at the end of the pre-verse/solo1/thing (to verse 2) you have the octave then the 4th/maj3rd riff - and that HAS to be in time with the drums.
Its very intricate in the detail and timing - even the second chorus transition to the second repeat - you have to got to hit the timing on that. 3rd solo (after the extra bar) you've got to be hitting the octaves with the drums.

So in short - its great IF you and the drummer both take the time to learn it properly.

Its a brilliant "trigger" song - guaranteed to get loads of vino'ed up girlies up front and singing halfway thru the second set.

I am fortunate to play with a brill drummer who absolutely nails it as above.

I love playing it - as long as you nail the chorussy intro and "where do we go" stabby bits you can kick back on the rest of it and enjoy yourself.

Ouch is my reaction to that youtube clip. Just shows how the drink/drugs can get you.

Re the song itself, a great song, needs to be tight with the drums and the intro - as not per the youtube clip - needs to be spot on. Otherwise leave it til late in the set and let the punters enjoy.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1445864922' post='2894789']
Because I dislike it so much I haven't learnt it properly - that would involve listening to it - but no one seemed to notice I was freestyling the passing notes.
[/quote]

I've had to learn quite a few cack songs over the years but if I've agreed to play them then I've learned them properly, yes even dirging in the free world got a couple of listens.

learn it. play it. = no dramas. everybody happy. its but 5 mins of your life each time you play it and like all things that get overdone its a crowd pleaser (if played well). when theres something you really want to play/try out you can reach into your moral high ground amunition box and say "well I sorted out sweet child o mine without kicking up". overall its sound practice to learn and play well something you cant stand cause its one of lifes jokes that this will always be what makes the money.

We do it in C# as the guitarist learned it in C#, whilst in standard tuning - not realising it was recorded tuned down half a step, he just thought there were some funny chords in it :lol:

So, I was playing it on a four string in drop D and now play it on a five string in standard :)

I saw a friends covers band the other night, not really a big classic rock fan but as id had a skin full i was pleased when they played this one purely because i knew the words 😂

The did a good job but unfortunately the bass player didnt learn/couldnt play the intro (the only half decent bass part of the song)

Id have a listen and learn the intro if they insist on playing it

I'd be more worried about that actual choice from your bandmates tbh..

Such an old cliched song that if you can't do anything with it...best left alone.
And since you don't sound like you fancy the song at all... I doubt it would work
and what would worry me about that, is if the band don't notice..??

Great song and not a bad bass part. Unfortunately overdone by so many pub bands that you can’t help but groan a little when you hear the intro - like many of these brilliant but simple songs that punters love so much! Lots of bands make a hash of it as it is not an easy song to sing (you really need a vocalist who can nail the high notes) and it helps if you have two guitars to do it properly!

If you really want to play the right bass part, the following link is pretty much spot on: [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvjoHhfBw3w"]https://www.youtube....h?v=QvjoHhfBw3w[/url]

Edited by peteb

It isn't about what we like, The punters love it so if the singer is up to the task it is a great song to learn. It also shows what a good musician Duff is Great inventive supporting counter melodies driving the song to where it needs to go on every twist and turn. I think it is a classic bass line and every bit as good as the guitar part above.

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1445885891' post='2895080']
It isn't about what we like, The punters love it so if the singer is up to the task it is a great song to learn. It also shows what a good musician Duff is Great inventive supporting counter melodies driving the song to where it needs to go on every twist and turn. I think it is a classic bass line and every bit as good as the guitar part above.
[/quote]

I'd have a general problem with this... so no, I wouldn't be doing songs just because we'd be instantly 'popular' by playing the same standards as half the circuit..
I'd want at least, a good spin on it.. that set us apart from everyone else....
Personally..

It's a great song and a good bass line. We do it in our band. I suggest learning it properly, it's not too difficult. Don't be tempted to make bits of it up and be a bit lame. I have heard bass players do this and it's not good IMO. And as others have said, use a pick.

Edited by mep

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1445864922' post='2894789']

[/quote]

Can't say I blame you being reluctant to listen to it :).