Why become a member? ×

Wait. He said what???

colgraff

Blues standard, "Good Morning, School Girl" potentially dubious lyrics in some versions, other versions avoid the 'issue' ;

Good mornin' little schoolgirl
Can I go home with you
Tell your mama and your daddy
That I'm a little school boy too ................

Edited by 3below

The more of these dodgy songs that come up, the I think the police should spend less time with DJs and more time with singers. The DJs were probably brainwashed by playing the songs all the time!

Which reminds me:
My Sharona: I always get it up for the touch of the younger kind.

WRONG WRONG WRONG

Edited by colgraff

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial][size=3][center]The church of man love[/center][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial][size=3][center]Is such a holy place to be.[/center][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial][size=3][center]David Bowie, Moonage Daydream.[/center][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1445799748' post='2894329']
I love the way Johnny Rotten pronounces the word vacant in Pretty Vacant, a definite play on words there methinks.
[/quote]

I read at the time that it was his way of having a pop back at the BBC who had banned their previous singles. If you watch the session re-recorded for TOTP his pronunciation is even more - pronounced.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1445798784' post='2894315']
There are some songs that, if you listen to the lyrics, really shouldn't be played pre-watershed.

A good example is Unbelievable by EMF - saying F***
Yellow Mellow by Donovan - widely considered to be advocating underage sex.

Any others?
[/quote]
Wow... Mellow yellow? Im surprised by this. Donovan is a great guy.

These are simply pop songs, though, and there are many other subjects that can make some wince, in current generations or later ones. 'Run For Your Life' threatens death for infidelity, 'Under My Thumb' is hardly innocent; I heard a song (funnily enough, sung to another tune on ISIHAC, so the words were clearly audible..!) whose lyrics laud raping over a car bonnet or similar. 'Gangster' rap has notoriously direct assertions on weapon use. Many national anthems have very lurid lines, not always benign to neighbouring states or ethnic groups. Even some nursery rhymes could be called into question, given a mind to it. 'Wee Willy Winky'..? What's [i]that [/i]all about. 'Old Mother Hubbard', with her kids in a cupboard under the stairs..? I seldom listen too literally to songs. Some Frank Zappa can be pretty gory, though. Maybe it's another, relatively mild, way of getting it out of the system..? Better off remaining as just a lyric, no..?

There are a lot of thought provoking and shocking lyrics out there. Part and parcel of (relatively) free expression that's been available to most musicians in the recent past.

The one that caught me off guard recently was the super furry animals song "Hello Sunshine":

[i]You're not so innocent
You're a disgrace to your country
If you fled a million miles
I'd chase you for a day
(If I could be bothered)[/i]

The way it's sung is what caught me. See if you can spot what I spotted:

[url="http://youtu.be/XHlUcYYifO0?t=110"]http://youtu.be/XHlUcYYifO0?t=110[/url]

I never think too much about lyrics. I always hear about someone saying, oh this song was such an inspiration to me when I was going through such and such, and I'm like, are you 'avin a laugh? He's 'avin a laugh. I listen to melodies and tunes and enjoy songs from there. Sometimes I'm amazed when someone tells me a song is about whatever cos I have never listened that closely. There's some real shockers coming out here !

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1445840081' post='2894542']
. Sometimes I'm amazed when someone tells me a song is about whatever cos I have never listened that closely.
[/quote]

and chances are they'd be wrong.

Some of the theories I see on youtube comments about the subject matter of our lyrics give us a good laugh -

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1445840081' post='2894542']
I never think too much about lyrics.
[/quote]

I'm the exact opposite. I'm much more interested in the lyrics than the bass line (unless it is something with meaningless lyrics such as most RHCP songs.) This is possibly why Billy Bragg is my all-time favourite performer.

Elvis Costello and Bob Dylan both use N.... in songs that get daytime play, Oliver's Army and Hurricane respectively. In both songs the word is used in perspective, and shouldn't be thought of as offensive, but Costello's did cause some waves recently with a local BBC DJ offering to resign because he'd played the song and noticed the lyric. Meanwhile Jeremy Vine plays it unedited almost every week.

The other Radio 2 favourite that has a very clear use of sh1t in it is New Radicals, You Get What You Give.