Why become a member? ×

P bass alternatives

Callumjord

There's a reason P basses as so common. . . . it's because of their unique sound. Non P basses can get close but never close enough, IMO. That's why most companies make at least 1 P bass.

As long as you have the split pickup in the correct position I guess you'll get the P bass sound from any bass.

I'd strongly suggest that you try flatwound strings on whatever bass you get.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1446028716' post='2896251']
There's a reason P basses as so common. . . . it's because of their unique sound. Non P basses can get close but never close enough, IMO. That's why most companies make at least 1 P bass.

As long as you have the split pickup in the correct position I guess you'll get the P bass sound from any bass.

[/quote]

I currently have my Vintage musicman strung with flat wounds and love the sound it gives.

Think I will be dropping my money on a 424 and some flat wounds rather soon. Then I can string my musicman up with some rotosound swing bass and have the best of both worlds, punchy MM and flat would P bass

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1445643287' post='2893144']
Yamaha instruments are very good. The only slight criticism I have is that my old BB1100s sounded a bit "clinical" but to many that`s probably a very good plus point.
[/quote]
I'd disagree. My bb1100s has a stonking tone and I wouldn't call it clinical. Id massively recommend one if you can find one.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1446028716' post='2896251']

[/quote]
And put a bit of foam by the bridge,then back off the treble.

If you want a unique p bass I'm selling this:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/270913-peavey-t20-1983-l300/page__pid__2899392#entry2899392

Which are pretty rare over here. You are more than welcome to try it if you are ever in the Bristol area.