Why become a member? ×

Yamaha Pulser Bass 400

Beedster

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1445603667' post='2892754']
I know nothing about them but I'm a bit disappointed it's a P bass copy. From the name I was expecting something pointy that lights up. :D
[/quote]

Ha ha

Well let me enlighten you Professor Valdemar, as I decided to buy it!

It's a '78. At first sight it is a rather ugly, albeit accurate, Precision copy. Adding to the initial neutral emotions was the fact that it is clearly made of something marginally heavier than kryptonite.

It is however glorious. The build quality is Yamaha, say no more. Pocket and heel are within percentages of an mm, everything is just solid. On closer inspection, the body is constructed not of two halves in the frontal plane as per Fenders, but in whatever the plane that's at right angles to that plane is called, so in short, in almost Wal fashion, there's a front and a back. There also appears to be an extremely think layer of wood between front and back. Very strange? The neck is slightly narrower than 70's Precision and slightly deeper, more like a Jazz neck on 'roids really, but is again very solid and 100% true.

Tone? I haven't given it the Ampeg treatment, but I'm looking forward to doing so. My suspicion is that it's the precursor to the BB2024, it has that feel of function over style about it. I'll keep y'all posted.

Just plugged it in for a while. It has that lovely and woody pre-CBS Precision tone, very reminiscent of the intro to 'One of These Nights' by the Eagles (and of course someone will now come on and tell me that the part in question was recorded using a Ric, but either way, this bass has that lovely organic tone). I don't know anything about the woods, but closer inspection suggests it's probably not quite the budget instrument I thought it was, I love the veneer between front and back (no idea why it's there though?). Despite having quite heavy flats it's also effortless to play (I believe the term du jour is 'like butter').

So, for the cost of a Squier I've got a rather lovely vintage Precision in lovely condition. Rather chuffed :) Might think about a black pickguard though!

[url="http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_5525_zpsrdecczab.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_5533_zpsehspdl9w.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_5540_zpsncvpgptc.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_5536_zpse5xfzdo9.jpg.html"][/url]

Now that's a pretty piece of classic top-quality MIJ!

Because Yamaha had their own original designs throughout the 70s copy era, their own copies, like this tend to be a bit overlooked. That sandwich style of body construction is not that uncommon on MIJ builds from this era, and I believe is a lift from Gibson's "pancake" style, which sandwiches a thin layer of maple between two main slabs of timber. I'd think the purpose is perhaps to use a softer piece of timber to mould to imperfections in the surfaces of the halves being glued together - but that's really a guess. I've seen the same thing between the wings & centre of some neck-through builds.

It's unclear where Yamahas of this vintage were built - one of the more reliable sources suggests production was split between their own factory and Kasuga Gakki. I have a 1975 Kasuga Rick copy which has an identical body construction from very similar timbers, and the build quality is immaculate.

Anyway - bloody lovely! Any serial number or clue to its age?

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1445685183' post='2893382']
Now that's a pretty piece of classic top-quality MIJ!

Because Yamaha had their own original designs throughout the 70s copy era, their own copies, like this tend to be a bit overlooked. That sandwich style of body construction is not that uncommon on MIJ builds from this era, and I believe is a lift from Gibson's "pancake" style, which sandwiches a thin layer of maple between two main slabs of timber. I'd think the purpose is perhaps to use a softer piece of timber to mould to imperfections in the surfaces of the halves being glued together - but that's really a guess. I've seen the same thing between the wings & centre of some neck-through builds.

It's unclear where Yamahas of this vintage were built - one of the more reliable sources suggests production was split between their own factory and Kasuga Gakki. I have a 1975 Kasuga Rick copy which has an identical body construction from very similar timbers, and the build quality is immaculate.

Anyway - bloody lovely! Any serial number or clue to its age?

Jon.
[/quote]

Thanks Jon, nice to have your thoughts (I was hoping you might drop by so to speak). It's funny, the only Yamaha I've owned that felt like this was the 2024, which felt equally solid and well crafted.

Serial is 001060. Seller mentioned Nippon Gakki but with 70's MIJs in my experience these things always seem to be a mix of Chinese Whispers and wishful thinking!

Have to say I've two 70's MIJ 'lawsuit' copies, this one and a Greco 4001, and both are outstanding examples of, if not improvements on, the P-Bass and Ric respectively.

Edited by Beedster

In fact here's both my Jap copies. Both are bloody lovely. The 4003 is stripped and oiled and whilst it may not be the most easthetically pleasing example ever, has one of the best necks I've ever played, perfect (BTW the horseshoe is a Ric as is the TRC).

[URL=http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/2015-10-24%2012.45.43_zpsbwxjlxnk.jpg.html][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/Beedster/2015-10-24%2012.45.43_zpsbwxjlxnk.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1445687432' post='2893408']
In fact here's both my Jap copies. Both are bloody lovely. The 4003 is stripped and oiled and whilst it may not be the most easthetically pleasing example ever, has one of the best necks I've ever played, perfect (BTW the horseshoe is a Ric as is the TRC).

[URL=http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/2015-10-24%2012.45.43_zpsbwxjlxnk.jpg.html][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/Beedster/2015-10-24%2012.45.43_zpsbwxjlxnk.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[/quote]

Maple is my favourite Ric colour.....i would certainly buy one if i had the ££'s

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1445686192' post='2893395']
Thanks Jon, nice to have your thoughts (I was hoping you might drop by so to speak). It's funny, the only Yamaha I've owned that felt like this was the 2024, which felt equally solid and well crafted.

Serial is 001060. Seller mentioned Nippon Gakki but with 70's MIJs in my experience these things always seem to be a mix of Chinese Whispers and wishful thinking!

Have to say I've two 70's MIJ 'lawsuit' copies, this one and a Greco 4001, and both are outstanding examples of, if not improvements on, the P-Bass and Ric respectively.
[/quote]

Looks like 001060 might be 1977, although that's based on a serial system Yam give for BB series basses. Would seem about right, though. Nippon Gakki (meaning "Japan Musical Instruments", pretty much) was Yamaha's proper company name up to the late 80s, so doesn't give us a specific factory. Not really too important IMO because Yamaha aren't known for poor quality!

That's a very nice 4001 copy - but I do have to tell you it ain't no Greco! I think it's one of the MIJ basses that most commonly turn up badged as Shaftesbury - sady as yet no-one knows who made these, but they are uniformly excellent quality, probably more robust or more accurate than either the Matsumokus or Fujigens that were sold labeled Greco. Just a personal opinion, but you do it an injustice by putting a Rick trc on it. ;)

J.

Spot on Jon, just checked backed to the original discussion with the seller and the 4003 is a CMI, not a Greco. Take your point re the TRC but I lost the original and had that one from an old Ric project so it seemed rather silly to not put it on (the headstock kinda needs that rather elegant slash of white to my eye)!

C

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1445705155' post='2893624']
No idea where it is, but I think I have an original CMI trc lying around somewhere. I'll have a dig around & see if I can find it, if you'd be interested.

J.
[/quote]

Thanks Jon, I imagine that with RIC's rapidly declining PR and QC, far from buying Ric TRCs to put on fakers, many bassists might do the opposite, so I'd hang on to it :)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1445680766' post='2893314']
Just plugged it in for a while. It has that lovely and woody pre-CBS Precision tone, very reminiscent of the intro to 'One of These Nights' by the Eagles (and of course someone will now come on and tell me that the part in question was recorded using a Ric, but either way, this bass has that lovely organic tone). I don't know anything about the woods, but closer inspection suggests it's probably not quite the budget instrument I thought it was, I love the veneer between front and back (no idea why it's there though?). Despite having quite heavy flats it's also effortless to play (I believe the term du jour is 'like butter').

So, for the cost of a Squier I've got a rather lovely vintage Precision in lovely condition. Rather chuffed :) Might think about a black pickguard though!

[url="http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_5525_zpsrdecczab.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_5533_zpsehspdl9w.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_5540_zpsncvpgptc.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_5536_zpse5xfzdo9.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

What a find!!! I've been after one of these for years to add to my vintage Yamaha collection...enjoy.

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' timestamp='1445950777' post='2895614']
What a find!!! I've been after one of these for years to add to my vintage Yamaha collection...enjoy.
[/quote]

Thanks mate, I'll let you know if/when I decide to sell it :)

Ahhh very nice!

Here's my Jap law-suit beauty. It's a '76 and every bit as wonderful as it looks. Matsumuko have a lot to answer for. I'm going to need another!

Before make over and then after:

I adore this bass - and I've played so many P basses in the past.

• 2 years later...

Hey there!

Sorry to revive a pretty old thread, but this is the most recent thread I could find that discussed these PB400 basses. Anyway, I'm looking at buying one of my own, and I was just curious where I could supposedly locate the serial number on this bass? Here's a few pictures of the one I'm looking at buying. It looks a bit more dated compared to the one above, with the wood looking more faded already. Anyway, here are a few pics. I'm hoping I could get some insight from you guys about it and whether I should just go ahead and buy it already. I love the vintage, worn-out wood look on this one. Apparently it comes with 2008 Fender pups as well.

photo_2017-12-07_10-21-20.jpg

photo_2017-12-07_10-21-30.jpg

photo_2017-12-07_10-21-33.jpg

photo_2017-12-07_10-21-39.jpg

I don't know the Pulsers specifically, but it might be stamped into the back of the headstock. That's where they are on many 80s BBs.

Looks like this bass has had a hard life, certainly compared to Beedster's example. Not uncommon for surviving MIJ copies - unfortunately they weren't regarded as quality instruments at the time so were often treated as disposable. That said, I've owned many that came to me in a far worse state so it's likely with a bit of tlc it will be a great bass. Just make sure you pay fixer-upper money for it!