Why become a member? ×

Just before I click to buy new band PA

gt4ever

Hey guys,

I've had enough of our rubbish out of date bits of PA we've been using up to now. We are a 5 piece indie band doing mainly parties and pubs. I'm just gonna go down the credit route and am pretty decided on the QSC K10 package from gear4music. Comes with 2 x K10's, K-Sub, stands, bags and cables. Gonna get the Soundcraft EFX12 from GAK to go with it. 12 channels will be enough with 2 monitors, 2 guitars, 2 vox, bass and drummer will have whole kit mic'd up too, or should i go for a 16 channel. PA package is £2130 and mixer is £275. Before I clicked I just wanted to see what experienced PA people think of that kit for the money and function for what we are. Hopefully hear some positive feedback and click to buy this evening!

cheers

Rich

Do you have an iPad? If so I'd seriously consider the Soundcraft Ui 16. Get rid of the mixing desk altogether, do your monitors from behind the mics, open up a whole new world of dynamic processing. If you don't want to go too loud I'd also consider the RCF Evox 8 system if only for portability.

All good gear and if buy it myself if I had the money, just seems a bit expensive when there's loads of good stuff out there second hand.

I got 2xMackie SRM450's, 1xMackie 1501 sub, all cables, Samson L1200 mixer, 3x Samson Q7's and all stands for just over a grand.

I know it's nice to have new stuff, but is it going to get you more work? Will you rent the gear out to other bands? Will you do party DJ'ing too? If you're doing all those things then yeah maybe it's worth it.

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1445532561' post='2892236']
Do you have an iPad? If so I'd seriously consider the Soundcraft Ui 16. Get rid of the mixing desk altogether, do your monitors from behind the mics, open up a whole new world of dynamic processing. If you don't want to go too loud I'd also consider the RCF Evox 8 system if only for portability.
[/quote]

Having just started using the Soundcraft Ui 16 I have to agree. It's a fantastic piece of kit. Check out the demo here.

http://www.soundcraft.com/ui-demo/mixer.html

• 1 month later...

The main difference with the MFX over the EFX is an extra monitor send if I remember rightly.

The Soundcraft Ui16 certainly has a lot of functionality for the price, so long as 12 inputs is going to be enough (and for pubs/functions with a typical band line up it probably will be) but I would 100% recommend using an external router and not depending on the inbuilt WiFi. I've used one for small conference jobs at a sound company I freelance for and have had massive show-stopping problems with the onboard networking. On our second unit from Soundcraft and this one has had bigger issues than the first.

In terms of features and interface I think it's a great little box but the WiFi really lets it down.

• 3 months later...

as JT said. Add another sub later on, they come up on evil bay from time to time. I have been using KSC K12 and 2 x sub for about 4 years now. Love em. Great sound and not too bad to move about either. Allan & Heath desk. FX22 I think

Edited by police squad

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1457954022' post='3003234']
I'd have a look at the new barefaced powered PA cabs. If I had the means, that's the route I'd likely take.
[/quote]

Why? What do they offer over similarly specc'd Active PA speakers from the likes of Mackie and Yamah at half the price?

Why indeed?

The OP was asking about the QSC system which while the tops have received rave reviews, the subs have been found to be sadly lacking in the oomph department. The Mackies', to my ears, are not a pleasant sounding speaker being incredibly harsh and lacking mid and projection and the Yamaha's are not considered very 'pro audio' by many, but certainly seem to be accepted on the cabaret circuit.

Why Barefaced though? I haven't tried or even heard them but I have owned barefaced bass cabs and been incredibly impressed and would fully expect the Barefaced P.A. department to be just as impressive, well worth a listen at the least and there's not a lot of difference in price between the QSC and Barefaced systems.

Do I use any of the above, the answer is no. I decided to go the DIY route, bought Bill's plans and and made a pair of Otop12s and a pair of T39s and I couldn't be happier. I believe that I probably use a better sounding system than any of the above and if the OP was so inclined I would suggest that he follow this route as well.

• 2 months later...

Have QSC 10s and Ksubs as PA.
A 'musical' PA. clear and powerful. Will often gig with just one sub. Plenty for a pub.
You'll only have the kick and some bass fundamental going through the sub.
Buy with confidence.