Why become a member? ×

Pizz/arco string recommendations

jakenewmanbass

I've read the several discussions on one or another type of string but I'd like to have a bunch of recommendations for strings for arco/pizz
I have some work coming doing a bit more arco (currently doing a touring show with a big band) and would like to hear people's recommendations for strings that do both well
I'm currently using innovation silver slaps and can get a decent arco tone from them (my technique is solid) but I know it could be better with a more appropriate string
Chuck some names and reasons at me fellas

Spiro Weichs do well with both arco and pizz. They are "warmer" sounding on my Duke ply, so not too zingy or bright. Pretty easy tension too, but that may vary from bass to bass. The arco isn't too scratchy, even with my best efforts :)

I've just ordered some Presto Balance Hybrid Light strings to put on a hybrid bass after reading some reviews. Give me a week or so and I can give you some judgement on them ;)

I had some Velevet Animas once and they actually bowed OK. The Velvet Blues don't bow well at all IME.

My current strings are Evah Pirazzi weichs, which I chose because I've just started lessons again to finish off my grade exams and will be doing 80% Arco for the next year or so. They bow as well or better than any other string I've tried, but they also have a really great sound when played pizz.

I've got Belcantos on my other DB, which also bow very well and surprised me at how good they sound pizz, but Pirazzi Weichs have a much nicer sound to my ears!

I also play regularly with a big band that plays traditional repertoire. Because this music was recorded before Thomastik-Infeld invented the Spirocore string, I use Bel Canto Orch. ADG with a Spirocore 3885,5W. This combination has somewhat less "growl" than a full set of Spiros, but I get numerous compliments on my tone and call backs for subsequent gigs.

I'm another Evah Pirazzi Weich fan. Excellent pizz tone; they have a real "ping" at the front of the note which makes for a really present attack, but after that initial ping they don't sound overly bright. They also behave very well under the bow.

On my other bass I'm using Corelli 370Ms. These pizz and bow well, too, but they're a bit of an acquired taste: very thin and low tension, long sustain and a very bright sound even after they've broken in. The pizz sound is almost like that of a fretless electric bass - growly and aggressive. Arco, they're very stable under the bow and very easy to start but they're still very bright. I like them a lot, but they're the opposite of the Evahs, which are better all-rounders IMO.

I am using Inno 140B braided core ones. They speak well with the bow with a rich sound. For me, much richer than Spiros. I have no experience with Evahs, but have never felt the need to look at them. I am happy with the Innos. They give a nice warm pizz with a meaty thud. Not Gut-esque but no metal Spiro boing. I realise that these are my opinions and not empirical facts

Edited by owen