Why become a member? ×

Where would Prog be without Roger Dean?

pfretrock

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1445512175' post='2892004']
He's great (Relayer is my favourite), but in the ultimate prog album cover showdown, Hipgnosis wins.
[/quote]

Good point, well made. Aren't we fortunate that we had Storm for the techno, spacey, dystopian prog bands and Roger for the hippy, trippy prog bands. I went to a lecture a few years ago given by Roger and Storm (he was very clearly not a well man at the time) and they stood up well to their stereotypes. Storm was a charmingly curmudgeonly and capricious tease, Rog was a total hippy. They each talked about their work and the thought process behind it. Fascinating evening. So sad that Storm passed away a few years ago.

Interesting though that Storm/Hipgnosis ventured into design for so many other styles of music whereas Roger's quintessentially architectural/fantastical eye kept him more in the purely prog arena of design.

Dunno where prog would be, but Gentle Giant's "Octopus" cover would look like this proposal by George Underwood:

[URL=http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/basstractor1/media/Gentle%20Giant%20-%20Octopus%20George%20Underwood_zps0atajtpi.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r525/basstractor1/Gentle%20Giant%20-%20Octopus%20George%20Underwood_zps0atajtpi.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Beautiful artwork - it was stuff like this that first got me into music. As a little kid of around 6-7 years old I took to collecting prog-rock vinyls not because I had a clue about the music but rather because the art in the album covers just seemed amazing. In addition the YES albums the others that really stand out in my memory are On the Threshold of a Dream by The Moody Blues and TARCUS by ELP. Amazing artwork and a great conduit into the music, at least for me.

Edited by Naetharu

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1445513058' post='2892014']
I used to have his book "Views" (I think it was called)

No idea where it's gone to.

[b]I preferred his Budgie album covers to the Yes ones.
(might be because I prefer Budgie to Yes)[/b]

+1 from me on that :i-m_so_happy:
[/quote]

Used to have Dean & Matthews' posters on my bedroom wall when I was a kid even before I started listening to the music seriously so I knew some of the images in advance of hearing the tunes...mustn't forget HR Giger as well, that ELP cover is fairly iconic.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1445599476' post='2892691']
When I was a teenager, I bought a roll of backing paper (wallpaper) and redrew the whole Yes catalogue of Dean covers in an endless mural across the top of my bedroon wall. Remember when we had time to do those kinds of things :lol:
[/quote]

I did a similar thing with Yes lyrics. I still don't understand them tough, even if they do seem to mean something.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1445519335' post='2892085']
Beautiful artwork - it was stuff like this that first got me into music. As a little kid of around 6-7 years old I took to collecting prog-rock vinyls not because I had a clue about the music but rather because the art in the album covers just seemed amazing. In addition the YES albums the others that really stand out in my memory are On the Threshold of a Dream by The Moody Blues and TARCUS by ELP. Amazing artwork and a great conduit into the music, at least for me.
[/quote]

Yup, my wall at university... DSotM prism poster on one wall, Yes Drama cover poster on the other...

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1445602461' post='2892734']
+1 Obscene that he recieved no recognition - if only for inspiration. He took Cameron to court over it but guess who won?
[/quote]

I didn't know he'd sued, but I remember reading an article by a writer, who, on seeing Avatar, was really excited to find that Dean had been involved with the film... except he hadn't :( And yet Blurred Lines' authors had to pay millions to the estate of Marvin Gaye.... I guess whoever has the "best" lawyer wins.