Why become a member? ×

Duran Duran on Later (featuring Peavey)

spectoremg

I saw them in Feb at Wilton's Music Hall - tiny place, maybe 400 people and he was definitely in tune and looking quite trim given his age. I am in no way a fan but JT's sound and playing were quite impressive too. It was all Peavey Cirrus 4 and 5 strings..

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1445413234' post='2891218']
Nobody has mentioned that Duran Duran's bass sound was dreadful. all mids and nothing else. Disappointing, I thought.
[/quote]
+1
It reminded me of my first ever Kay SG bass & Kay 5 watt amplifier,just horrible.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1445413234' post='2891218']
Nobody has mentioned that Duran Duran's bass sound was dreadful. all mids and nothing else. Disappointing, I thought.
[/quote]

Yes, JTs bass sound has always been about mids but I think he pushed them all a bit too far round last night.

Thought PIL were good though - a nice tight but chaotic sound from them.

[quote name='kusee pee' timestamp='1445620350' post='2892915']
As a DD fan, I've always liked JT's sound and I thought it sounded pretty good. Cut right through the mix.
[/quote]

I concur. I was never a fan in their heyday, but always loved his sound!

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1445442927' post='2891534']
+2. We've come a long way with bass gear for it to sound that bad. It sounded a bit better when he switched to finger style.
[/quote]

bass sounds dreadful - i am nearby he could have borrowed my squire J and a trace boxer practice amp would have sounded much better than whatever it is he is playing through

sounds like theyve mixed in ambient studio sound too much for that big echoey concrete shoebox effect

edit - just been skipping through the episode - just how turgid is that slow duran song!!! :o

Edited by steve-bbb

Watched DD & as ever the hype seemed to outweigh the product. They had some good pop songs back in the day & always liked JT''s bass but for me they've always seemed a bit disingenuous...something a bit cheap about them. Probably Le Bin who comes across as a bit snotty.

In recent years they've seemed bent on creating their own legend & as the greatest bands of all time go, they were never really in the club.

YMMV & stuff.

Edited by roceci

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1445683007' post='2893345']
bass sounds dreadful - i am nearby he could have borrowed my squire J and a trace boxer practice amp would have sounded much better than whatever it is he is playing through

sounds like theyve mixed in ambient studio sound too much for that big echoey concrete shoebox effect

edit - just been skipping through the episode - just how turgid is that slow duran song!!! :o
[/quote]Thank you for being right! :)