Why become a member? ×

So, differences in Ashdown cabs?

Fisheth

Hey guys, so I'm looking to go big with my CTM 100. However car space, stage space,house space and my back are an issue. However, I was wanting something for home use whilst I used the Barefaced stuff for gigging. I was fancying a 4X10 (Barefaced don't make on of those sadly) and I spotted some of the Ashdown ABM cabs. However the more expensive ones are made in the UK and the other ones I think are Far Eastern made. I can't seem to find any difference aside from the location of being made. Are the speakers different and such? and are the UK cabs worth the price tag?

Barefaced will be releasing a Retro Four10 soon I believe.

As for the Ashdown cabs - the ABM Foundation range is UK built with apparently different spec Sica speakers and a lifetime warranty. The Chinese ABM range are the old ABM cabs with 5 year warranty and older spec Sica speakers.

Ashdown also have the Neo410 which is worth a look :)

Hope that helps :)

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1445348849' post='2890755']
Barefaced will be releasing a Retro Four10 soon I believe.

As for the Ashdown cabs - the ABM Foundation range is UK built with apparently different spec Sica speakers and a lifetime warranty. The Chinese ABM range are the old ABM cabs with 5 year warranty and older spec Sica speakers.

Ashdown also have the Neo410 which is worth a look :)

Hope that helps :)
[/quote]

Interesting. So the Barefaced may weigh next to nothing then.

Was wanting to get an Ashdown cab to complete the set mainly! Was just curious about the differences, as there's a Chinese made 810 up on one of the EU sites right now, but the Chinese 410 are the same price. So was just curious! Cheers Merton.

Hey Fisheth,

Ok main differences in regular ABM vs UK ABM cabs are this;

[b]ABM EVO 4....[/b]

Made in our China Facility
Quality Asian Ply
ABM Blueline Drivers that are built in China to our design and specs
Steel recessed grab handles
Rubber Feet
5 year warranty(1 year on speakers)

[b]ABM Foundation(UK)[/b]

Made in Essex UK to order
Custom designed SICA drivers made in Italy
FSC Approved 18mm Baltic Marine Quality Birch Ply Construction
Kick back and wheels
Steel recessed side handles
Integral top mounted handle
Rubber mounted steel shock proof grill with Allen key bolts
Lifetime Warranty for both cabinet and speakers

Hope this helps..... Any other questions just shout!

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1445349562' post='2890765']
There's also a Classic Line 410 on eBay right now, £350. Big heavy bugger but has Eminence rather than Sica speakers :)
[/quote]

Yeah I just spotted it. Might put a cheeky bid on it if I can offload some gear first!

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1445349621' post='2890768']
Oh and the Foundation cabs look bombproof and sound pretty damn fine too!
[/quote]

Hence why i 'think' they are the first ever cabs from any company ever to have a LIFETIME warranty for both the cabinet and speakers, if you manage to blow a speaker in 10 years time or whenever we will replace it free of charge, the speakers really are that good.

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1445350029' post='2890778']
Hence why i 'think' they are the first ever cabs from any company ever to have a LIFETIME warranty for both the cabinet and speakers, if you manage to blow a speaker in 10 years time or whenever we will replace it free of charge, the speakers really are that good.
[/quote]

Oh they do look lovely.

What's the difference in sound between the cabs? What would fit best with the CTM 100?

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1445350029' post='2890778']
[/quote]

Just curious how that works exactly. Does the buyer have to pay for the cab to be returned?

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1445350684' post='2890790']

Oh they do look lovely.

What's the difference in sound between the cabs? What would fit best with the CTM 100?
[/quote]

Well the CL cab on eBay was designed for the valve series but if it were me and I could afford it I'd go for a Foundation 410 :)

Edited by Merton

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1445352951' post='2890831']
Well the CL cab on eBay was designed for the valve series but if it were me and I could afford it I'd go for a Foundation 410 :)
[/quote]

Why's that? Didn't you own a CTM 100 at one time (I swear I came across your thread when obsessively googling it)

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1445350684' post='2890790']
Oh they do look lovely.

[/quote]

Sound is hugely subjective so what's 'best' for one person may be completely wrong for someone else... There is a difference in sound of standard ABM vs ABM Foundation in that we hear deeper bass and more definition on the top end but again it depends on the player, the amp, the bass used etc etc. With the Foundation range you are paying for the absolute best we have ever made and the reliability, consistent performance and longevity that comes with that fact. Saying this probably 90% of our artists actually use regular ABM cabs so one of those would also be more than up to the job with a CTM 100...

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1445353777' post='2890840']
Sound is hugely subjective so what's 'best' for one person may be completely wrong for someone else... There is a difference in sound of standard ABM vs ABM Foundation in that we hear deeper bass and more definition on the top end but again it depends on the player, the amp, the bass used etc etc. With the Foundation range you are paying for the absolute best we have ever made and the reliability, consistent performance and longevity that comes with that fact. Saying this probably 90% of our artists actually use regular ABM cabs so one of those would also be more than up to the job with a CTM 100...
[/quote]

Interesting. Yeah, good point on the sound.

I'm looking for something with a good old bottom end thump, but with a lot of definition, articulation and that mid range with a P-Bass.

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1445353354' post='2890834']

Why's that? Didn't you own a CTM 100 at one time (I swear I came across your thread when obsessively googling it)
[/quote]

I just preferred the sound of the Foundation cab vs the CL when I heard them earlier this year.

I had a CTM100 and stupidly sold it, best amp I've ever had. Currently running a CTM30 or RM800 which are both ace though so can't complain too much :D

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1445354611' post='2890848']
I just preferred the sound of the Foundation cab vs the CL when I heard them earlier this year.

I had a CTM100 and stupidly sold it, best amp I've ever had. Currently running a CTM30 or RM800 which are both ace though so can't complain too much :D
[/quote]

Awesome. I'll look into the cabs a bit more then.

Going OT but how does the 100 compare to the 300?

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1445355156' post='2890857']

Awesome. I'll look into the cabs a bit more then.

Going OT but how does the 100 compare to the 300?
[/quote]

I have the 30 not the 300, so it's basically got a fair bit less clean headroom than the 100. The 100 is a cracker of an amp and I think if my band was still properly gigging I'd miss it more but frankly the 30 is well up to the task of my current requirements and sounds utterly glorious. I am contemplating running a two rig setup with the CTM dirty into one cab and the RM800 clean into another, but again I don't have the gigs at the moment to justify it.

I imagine the 300 is an immense beast to behold!

Slight on topic, I was taking to Ashdown earlier this year about Foundation 210s but because of the band situation it didn't come about.

Edited by Merton

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1445356215' post='2890872']
I noticed someone else on this forum has a sealed version of the ABM 210 Neo cab , is that a special order or are both available as I've only seen and used the ported versions.
[/quote]

I believe the design was tweaked from ported to sealed this year but I'm sure Ashdown can verify :)

I have two ABM 410s and two ABM610s and the tighter bass of the 610 sounds better to my ears, even though there is no horn. I would suggest that Ashdown make a sealed 410 with a divider between each pair of speakers. Also there is some confusion in the States as to the weight of various cabinets in pounds (we don't savvy metric very well).