Why become a member? ×

Pyramid Gold Flatwounds USED
£20

[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]Pyramid Gold Flatwound bass strings in the lighter 40-105 gauge. Probably my fave string but price dictates which bass gets them and which get my second fave - Picato’s [/font][font=Wingdings][font=Wingdings]J[/font][/font][/color][/size]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]These have been cut for a Fender P bass and had around 4hrs play. These are known for their low tension (not wet noodle TI type tension tho!) and whilst they do get thumpy with age they initially sound not too dissimilar to TI’s – maybe a little less treble and a bit more beef. They have Purple silks at each end and feel lovely under the fingers. Im getting rid purely because ive gone up a gauge for my P bass. My Epi Casady has these on tho and it sounds superb with them on.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Brand new they are around £50 a set in UK. These can be yours for £20 delivered (in a Pyramid pack albeit for my new higher gauge strings).[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Im always trying new flats so could be interested in a trade (p bass cut or new) for flats I haven’t yet tried – DR Legend, Ernie Ball etc something a bit growly![/color][/size][/font]

Hi Steve,

Yes I remember! We should set up a basschat flats swapping group!

Those gauges suggest the may be a little on the high tension side to me. That's what reignited my flats quest - tonally I found m ideal flat in the Labella FS set - however, the tension gave the thumb on my picking hand unbelievable cramp!

Ideally im looking for low-ish tension and a nice growl but retaining good initial thump

Hi Paul,

Yes, I think the EBs are quite high tension but the main thing I remember was that they were too bright sounding for me.
They are similar to Chromes and they are my least favourite after Rotosounds, which I don't like at all.

[quote]Ideally im looking for low-ish tension and a nice growl but retaining good initial thump [/quote]

It's the deep thump I find lacking in TIs and P Golds, I put it down to them being nickel but I haven't tried higher gauge Golds yet - sounds like I should give them a go ;)

I find different flats suit different basses and also different styles of music.
My favourites for reggae and soul are medium/heavy GHS, Fender or Picatos, I also have some La Bella 760 FLs to try.
I like TIs or lighter Pyramid Golds for jazz or funk and they're both great for fretless, but the low tension is annoying on fretted bass because I play with a heavy touch.
I also have some DR Highbeam flats 45-105 which are very similar to GHS or Picatos - all great strings but hard on the fingers.

The main thing with all flats IMO is to give them time - they sound and feel better with age.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1445362962' post='2890948']
I like TIs or lighter Pyramid Golds for jazz or funk and they're both great for fretless, but the low tension is annoying on fretted bass because I play with a heavy touch.

The main thing with all flats IMO is to give them time - they sound and feel better with age.
[/quote]

Interesting how the same strings respond to different players and basses. I also use both types above and play with a heavy touch (bass action usually 3 to 4mm at 12th fret). I like the 'rubber bandy' feel of the TIs they do not seem to rattle about or buzz for me.

Flats are great value for money, last a lifetime. I have one set (from new) on a bass bought in 1980 (ish). They are still ok, Roto Tru Bass (whic are really rounds with the black nylon tape).

Edited by 3below

I really like Fende 9050's and they give me that growl i like and last a while but mellow out to give more thump - again its just the tension that gets me.

Id like to try the low tension la bellas and also the new Ernie Ball cobalts

Might start a new thread in the equipment section to get thoughts on all the flats people on here have tried