Why become a member? ×

It's the "I don't care, I love the way Wal basses sound" thread...

TrevorR

...and look and play and feel.

In an attempt to counter the recent levels of Wal-focused negativity which has been in these 'ere parts over the last week I thought I would post up some examples of the glorious sound which these amazing basses make. As part of theWal History talk I did at the SE Bass Bash recently I put together a brief playlist of examples of Wals record. Anyway the devil makes work for idle hands so this, naturally, grew into a bit of a mixtape.

So anyway, to redress the balance here is a YouTube playlist featuring some classic Wal tones and some top Wal players. Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGIYNBxcSZ3uo0Dv4GUoVf-4yKXu7xmKT

And for some further listening pleasure a somewhat different and longer Spotify playlist to soundtrack your day...

https://open.spotify.com/user/11166282603/playlist/0MOUCZomh0RzYPQjndREOU

Edited by TrevorR

My Wal, a Mk3 5 string, sounded glorious.

I've been going over some old recordings and you can hear the tracks where the Wal was used. They have a better quality and an authority to the sound.

Wal basses are a 40 year old design that is still in the top 5 basses ever made.

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

I am a great fan of the late Alan Spenner, listed in your tracks with a Roxymusic track. I loved Alan's work on Kokomo's albums in the 70s - such greasy soul/funk (on a Precision) with a feel not unlike Pino's.

I was lucky enough to see him in his Wal days playing at the Roundhouse in a Kokomo reunion concert in the late 70s - now if he sounded good on a Presicion, the Wal sound was a revelation - absolutely fantastic and really displayed the finer nuances of his playing as well as sounding fat and funky - and I further became a Wal fan on seeing Percy Jones' fretless magic with Brand X in that era.

I've since played one quite recently at some length in the Bass Gallery and what a bass!! Feel and sounds are perfect - a bass which really creates GAS for me!! Now the wait to save up enough and for one that really appeals visually (the range of facings really look quite different). Ideally I'd love a JG one (as Alan Spenner and John Gustavson) but as there were only 46 made this is probably a tall order.

Does anyone know who played bass on the Avalon album by Roxy and particularly the track Jealous Guy - from the notes and style it sounds like Spenner to me and likely a Wal??

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1445418221' post='2891264']
Doc Stingray & Rob

Afraid I've got it worse cause I'd like my JG back. Normally I convince myself I don't mind selling it,other times who the hell am I trying to kid :(
[/quote]

It's difficult isn't it... decisions get made for whatever reason at various points in life we later come to regret for whatever reason.. I've made loads! Not alot we can do about it and life goes on :)

If you did still have it I'd make a tidy offer :D

I am doing a Rock Blues gig with a Wal fretless next Tuesday that is going out live on local radio. The drummer is Brendan O'Neill, ex-Rory Gallagher, and it's going to be 'kin loud :lol: Anyone who thinks Wal's are one trick ponies is a eejit. Mine has done Jazz, Latin, Rock, Funk, Blues, Pop, Big Band, pit orchestra work live, studio etc etc. I have never had a negtative comment and have had plenty of positive ones. Wals deliver. End of.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1445421669' post='2891294']
I am doing a Rock Blues gig with a Wal fretless next Tuesday that is going out live on local radio. The drummer is Brendan O'Neill, ex-Rory Gallagher, and it's going to be 'kin loud :lol: Anyone who thinks Wal's are one trick ponies is a eejit. Mine has done Jazz, Latin, Rock, Funk, Blues, Pop, Big Band, pit orchestra work live, studio etc etc. I have never had a negtative comment and have had plenty of positive ones. Wals deliver. End of.
[/quote]

Hallelujah! Preach it, brother!

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1445428449' post='2891358']
What's JG? Probably something obvious and I'm now looking like a wally... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

It was Wals first full production model in the late 70s, had a fetching leather scratchplate.

Named after the first guy to order one john gustafson I beleive... i think they only made 46 (or maybe 48?).

Quite a few notable names amongst the original owners as shown on this list from Trevors website.

Edited by CamdenRob

Just done a Dub album for Moonshine Records and a Remix for Caspa, the Wal Mk2 V, tone at 0 and on the front pick up sounds mighty. Also been using my Mk1 IV for some hip hop and that sounds awesome too.